• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

Who's got updates about the course that is supposed to be put into Kenneth Hahn park near LA?

That would be a sweet course. I hate that you have to pay parking there on the weekends though. If you pay to play on top of that it may become an expensive course and might have to be a destination course.

Any news on the second 18 going in at Yucaipa. I think a good second 18 would make it one of the top courses in so cal...

There is a meeting set with the club to discuss the proposed land. I imagine well now soon.

Oyster Bay disc golf

yes, EBRPD has proposed a course for a former landfill in San Leandro, now known as Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline. these upcoming meetings are, officially, for public comment on the environmental report for the ~200-acre site, not just the small part that is intended for disc golf. however, we want to take every opportunity to remind the district how much we want and need another good course in the area, and what great partners we'll be in its establishment and maintenance.

at this time, the district has not decided exactly what area will be available for a course. prospects range from a windy, very boring course with virtually no obstacles (2 stars would be generous) -- to, best case, 9 or more short but reasonably appealing holes in the only "woodland" area in the park (potentially as high as 4 stars).

for more info on this proposed course, check out Oyster Bay Disc Golf on Facebook. feel free to PM me directly too. :)

New Course Propose in the Bay Area in the East Bay

Oyster Bay Land Use Plan Amendment

A Draft Land Use Plan and CEQA Environmental Document have been issued for public review and comment, and may be downloaded below. The plan will guide the future development of Oyster Bay, including new automobile access and parking, further development of the trail system and new activity areas, including a Bicycle Skills Park, Disc Golf Course and Off-leash Dog Area, and a revegetation plan for the park. A public meeting to review and discuss the plan will be held on Thursday, November 14, 7-9 p.m. at the Garfield Elementary School, 10350 Aurora Drive, San Leandro. Comments will be accepted until 5 p.m. on November 15, 2013. Please see the Public Notice, below.

http://www.ebparks.org/Assets/_Nav_Categories/Park_Planning/Oyster+Bay/2013-10-14+Oyster+Bay+NOI.pdf

We had our first city council meeting for the new 18 hole San Jose course at Kelley Park. I believe that it went very well. The board recognized that the land we want currently is unused and has some unwanted activities (homeless, fires, drugs). Most of the board had heard of disc golf, half of them have played, and one is an avid golfer. He said that he keeps a portable basket and discs in his car at all time. We had about 70 people from the local club out there to support us and they could tell that we are committed and did our homework. It will be re-visited by the board after the holiday break. Good progress but a lot of work left.

yes, EBRPD has proposed a course for a former landfill in San Leandro, now known as Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline. these upcoming meetings are, officially, for public comment on the environmental report for the ~200-acre site, not just the small part that is intended for disc golf. however, we want to take every opportunity to remind the district how much we want and need another good course in the area, and what great partners we'll be in its establishment and maintenance.

at this time, the district has not decided exactly what area will be available for a course. prospects range from a windy, very boring course with virtually no obstacles (2 stars would be generous) -- to, best case, 9 or more short but reasonably appealing holes in the only "woodland" area in the park (potentially as high as 4 stars).

for more info on this proposed course, check out Oyster Bay Disc Golf on Facebook. feel free to PM me directly too. :)

PM'd

Updates on Oyster Bay from Facebook from Leonard:

11/14/13: Meeting went well tonight. Good turnout -- about 15-20 disc golfers, a few bike skills supporters, and about 30 neighbors and dog-walkers who are generally unhappy with the plans for decreased dog space, increased parking spaces, and potential traffic hassles. Good vibe -- nobody offering significant objections to the course, and enthusiasm/acceptance from several non-golfers.

Leonard Muise: Next step is the December Board meeting where LUPA (and course) approval is very likely. According to the invite distributed for tonight's meeting, the Board meeting will be December 17. However, staff expressed some uncertainty tonight about the date. We'll update here when we find out for sure.

I believe the upcoming meeting is on a weekday at 2pm, if I hear of any updates I will pass them along to hopefully gather a bit more support.

Thanks

Good press for disc golf! Special guest appearance by myself and MikePinchico.

Good press for disc golf! Special guest appearance by myself and MikePinchico.

GREAT video. I'm planning to share this with everyone I can who is interested in disc golf or who we've talked to in trying to get a disc golf course built in the area.

Thank you for putting some effort into this. I haven't made it up there yet, but as an area, we need more courses. Flat out. Livermore and Benicia are a good start. It's only getting better.

I just added the Sacramento River RV Park course in Redding, CA. Just opened last week. Really nice tees, baskets, and signs. Definitely worth the $5 cost to play.

Check it out! http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6691

I saw this course off of the side of I-5 while I was riding with a buddy down to Tahoe. If it would have been me driving alone, I would have played it already.

Anybody know how far along the Spider Island course in Red Bluff is? I hear it has a great design, too bad the fire devastated the vegetation.

Hidden Lakes in Martinez - proposal take two

There was talk and a bit of momentum for putting in an 18 hole course in Martinez, CA a couple years ago. I spoke with the guy spearheading it, but he ran out of time/energy, so not sure what's happening. It's great terrain in Hidden Lakes park, about 15 minutes from where I live in Benicia. Hoping to have more time next year to dig in and try to make it happen. More info:

http://www.martinezgazette.com/inde...lf-ideas-fly-at-prmcc&catid=46:news&Itemid=81

Tim S.

Martinez disc golfers are trying again to get a course at Hidden Lakes. The first step - a presentation to the parks commission earlier this month (January 2014) - went very well. Now we are anticipating working through some issues with the commission in order to earn their recommendation to the city council... if you want to learn more, check out the FB page for Martinez Disc Golf Club.

Oyster Bay plan approved; no progress on the dubious design

Updates on Oyster Bay from Facebook from Leonard:

11/14/13: Meeting went well tonight. Good turnout -- about 15-20 disc golfers, a few bike skills supporters, and about 30 neighbors and dog-walkers who are generally unhappy with the plans for decreased dog space, increased parking spaces, and potential traffic hassles. Good vibe -- nobody offering significant objections to the course, and enthusiasm/acceptance from several non-golfers.

Leonard Muise: Next step is the December Board meeting where LUPA (and course) approval is very likely. According to the invite distributed for tonight's meeting, the Board meeting will be December 17. However, staff expressed some uncertainty tonight about the date. We'll update here when we find out for sure.

I believe the upcoming meeting is on a weekday at 2pm, if I hear of any updates I will pass them along to hopefully gather a bit more support.

Thanks

Belated update: The East Bay Regional Park District approved the new plan for Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline on Dec 17 last year (2013). The plan includes disc golf. However, the plan is very general, does not specify exact location, layout, number of holes, etc. Most likely, they are intending to put the course in flat, barren, windy area -- which describes 90% of the park, actually.

And an update to the belated update: Park staff had expected start discussing the design in January, but they're not ready yet. Now they're guessing Feb or March. The park plan is a massive project, so not a surprise if things are moving slowly.

We're trying to be patient! Concurrently, we're brainstorming creative ideas if the only available space has no trees or useful natural obstacles...