• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

Weddington golf and tennis in Studio City is doing a test run with 9 baskets set up on mondays and Tuesday's. It's

Update: Febuary 8 2017

We went to the first meeting with city of Folsom officials yesterday after having been been blown off for nearly two months now. Approached the meeting with a very uneasy feeling and extremely worried we were going to watch our hard work go up in smoke.
Instead they wanted to talk about their plans for a ribbon cutting ceremony and community outreach.
I am too old for this. My heart can't take this anymore.

We went to the first meeting with city of Folsom officials yesterday after having been been blown off for nearly two months now. Approached the meeting with a very uneasy feeling and extremely worried we were going to watch our hard work go up in smoke.
Instead they wanted to talk about their plans for a ribbon cutting ceremony and community outreach.
I am too old for this. My heart can't take this anymore.

Did they give a date for a ribbon cutting? I think its been nearly a year sense i heard that folsom was a possibility for discgolf and then it got moved to a diffrent park. Is the park district nervous?

If there is a ribbon cutting is the course a 18 cause i thought it was a 9? 9 holes and a ribbon ceremony sounds unusual.

Thanks for putting in time to do what is probably the most difficult part of getting a corse going... dealing with the parks department/ city.

Everything the city government does is unusual:) They gave no date for the ribbon cutting, they want to send out mailings to the surrounding neighborhood and there was a big debate and debacle on how far to extend the mailings, and they want to invite the press out and make a big show. As for our side of things, they are having a truckload of bark delivered to the course for trail work on the paths to pretty everything up and get it ready, so we'll have to hold some kind of work day to wheel barrow bark and spread it around, although with the way the weathers been that could be a while for the delivery and work day, and then God knows how long they will take on their side of things.

BT Collins is a straight 9 hole recreational level course. There are two other properties at play as well that keep getting kicked around but BT will be the first to go in (fingers crossed). This has been a long strange, unusual trip.

This all started when the city of Folsom noticed that the city of Rocklin had something that they didn't have, and as we all know that just can't happen (Ain't Competition Grand). So the city decided to build a disc golf course that would "put Rocklin's to shame" (direct quote from the city commission meeting) (Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better) Well the only piece of land they had that could house a tournament level course of that magnitude was on their new 3500 acre annex south of highway 50. Their is several hundred acres of old growth oaks that the state prohibits from being cut down on the annex, so those tracts were given to parks and rec. So the city incorporated the inclusion of an 18 hole tournament level disc golf course into the development deal for the annex, that will be paid for and built by the developers.

The problem is that development is still a long way from completion so in the meantime, the parks and rec staff pushed forward a plan for an 18 hole course at Niesnan Park. They budgeted $30,000 into the master plan for the installation of a new course and invited the disc golf community to attend a commission meeting to express their desire for disc golf in the city This is actually the park where I came into all of this, everything else had been done behind the scenes at city meetings. Well the meeting was attended and everybody said yeah and wow, and thanks for the course. Unfortunately somewhere along the way someone mentioned the words erosion and traffic and the plan got derailed. The money that was budgeted for the course was instead spent on a CEQA study for environmental feasibility and again we were back to several years out.

So now with no money from the city or developers the city decided to give us the less than ideal BT Collins Park that doesn't require environmental study with of course the cavit that we had to fund the entire project ourselves. So hopefully in very short time (Again fingers crossed) we will get a 9 hole recreational level course at BT Collins and a year or two from now we will be getting a good course at Niesnan Park, and then a couple of years after that we may see a WOW tournament level course on the south of 50 project. Like dominoes knocking them down as we go.

In other news the city of Sacramento's park commission decided to wait on any decision on McClatchy Park to see if Reichmuths installation changes anything. This is one of those mixed feelings ones for me, McClatchy has just gotten so busy with non-DG traffic, it makes playing there difficult during certain times of day, and I don't really see the rush to install Reichmuth really changing that, there still going to be idiots out there throwing when its not appropriate. Never really want to see a course pulled, but don't want a black eye for disc golf either, aka Polliwog Park.

New Dualie opening in San Francisco at Gleneagles golf course. It will be a HUGE course, designed with gold level pros in mind, and a target for a DGPT event or perhaps more. Scheduled to open this spring...

That's awesome news! I wish I was there. Hope they can keep it irrigated and green. Is McClaren dead?

That's awesome news! I wish I was there. Hope they can keep it irrigated and green. Is McClaren dead?

they will this year...no more drought! The course is IN McLaren Park...

In other news the city of Sacramento's park commission decided to wait on any decision on McClatchy Park to see if Reichmuths installation changes anything. This is one of those mixed feelings ones for me, McClatchy has just gotten so busy with non-DG traffic, it makes playing there difficult during certain times of day, and I don't really see the rush to install Reichmuth really changing that, there still going to be idiots out there throwing when its not appropriate. Never really want to see a course pulled, but don't want a black eye for disc golf either, aka Polliwog Park.
Safety first.

they will this year...no more drought! The course is IN McLaren Park...

Yeah Goeneagles course is in McClaren park. I played the footgolf course for couple holes but it was so dry that the grass was all dead and the ball wouldn't stop rolling. Awesome land for disc golf. I'll let you know if I get back to play.

Lake Cachuma in Santa Barbra is now fully installed. Course is a 18 hole championship course and by the reviews its pretty epic. Terrain is great with elevation and woods. I imagine it will be added to the database shortly.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Lake Cachuma in Santa Barbra is now fully installed. Course is a 18 hole championship course and by the reviews its pretty epic. Terrain is great with elevation and woods. I imagine it will be added to the database shortly.
1.jpg

2.jpg
I have heard nothing but good things about it from reputable voices.

Can't wait to play it.

Big Gig / Skulboy Presents has set up a Disc Golf temp layout, trial run course at Weddington Golf and Tennis in Studio City.
Right now its Monday-Tuesday only.
Monday: 8am-10pm
Tuesday: 8am-Noon, 6pm-10pm
They stay open till 11pm for their driving range so the unlit course is all ours for Glow Golf after 6pm. Both nights with optional $5 Ace Pool round of 18 starting at 7pm

When we first walked the course we thought it would be a nice short par 3. But once we showed up with the baskets and set up the layout, it turned out to be a great course with several long holes.

If you're on Facebook, here is the link to the Big Gig / Skulboy Present page.

32939938542_5a212bc46b_z.jpg

Skulboy Sculpted Basket Base: FISTFUL OF CHAINS!
32713862460_0512148d8e_z.jpg

Was just at a meeting of the Mammoth Lakes recreation council. They were supportive contingent on the location being approved by the town council and the forest service. Possible installation this summer, but only a 9 holer.