• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Illinois Courses 2011

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
When I started playing in 2001 there were approximately 50 courses. Things keep booming in this state. I put out feelers to all clubs, td's, and players. Here is what I have gotten so far. These are not 100% but most are reliable.

New Courses in Illinois 2011

These are the courses i've heard of. Has anyone heard of other new courses?

Decatur--18 (Done by this summer)
Pontiac--18 (Baskets in. No signs or tees right now. Very raw)
Peoria--18 ( Waiting on funds for baskets. Championship course pay to play).
Marengo--18 (Awaiting for a few more wooded holes to be carved.)
Woodstock--18
Tinley Park--18
Kewanee--18 (15 baskets in the ground)
Lindenhurst--9
Dayton--9 (Sky Dive Chicago. Baskets in the ground)
Rockford--9
Joliet--9

It's really cool how the game has picked up around there. When I moved there from St. Louis in 2000 I was really depressed about the courses. I lived in Elgin, and Shady Oaks was about it. The first time I went there I stopped after work. I was way back on the backside of the park as sun started to go down and the mosquitoes swarmd. T. J. Rosenthal had told me Shady Oaks was by far the best course in the Elgin area, and it was a mosquito-infested swamp. The week before I was playing in a league at Sioux Passage. The whole thing made me want to cry. I used to play Lippold and Fairfield sometimes because they were fairly close to work, but I think they were both 9 holes at the time. Other than that it was drive to Rockford or drive to Joliet. Nobody I met up there had any idea what disc golf was. I didn't play a whole lot for a few years because compared to where I came from, it was no fun at all.

Now when we go back to visit, there are a lot of course and a lot of people playing. The courses aren't great, but I have a lot of fun up there. I meet a lot of good people playing disc golf up there now. It's really like night and day.

Last edited:
I am so sad that I have not been back to Chicago to play the course in Glen Ellyn. I used to work right off of Roosevelt Rd. only about a quarter mile from Maryknoll :-(. It was definitely Steve Matul's planning and work that got the course in (finally).

Shady oaks not as good as Sioux passage??? How dare you! :D

I am pumped to see more courses in the mix as well, even if the true "Chicagoland" ones are typical vanilla ones. Thanks for bringing the local info to the board. :thmbup:

there is a private, pay to play course in teutopolis that was put in this year. Haven't played it yet, but I'm planning on getting out there in the next month or so

Where do I find out more information on the Tinley Park course? Is it in the Forest Reserve?

I found this link: http://triblocal.com/tinley-park/20...ers-2-7m-in-capital-projects-for-coming-year/

It is funny to read.
They are going to spend $375,000 on a new water slide.
Upgrade the recreation center for $200,000
Upgrade playgrounds in three parks for a cost of $250,000, $90,000, and $90,000.
A dog park for $225,000.
And a disc golf course for . . . are you ready . . . $18,000.

The commissioner then says he didn't know if all of the improvements would be necessary. What do you be the one that costs 1/4 of the next cheapest is the one that will get axed.

Do you have any more info on the woodstock course? Like what park its in.

for those of you who havent been out to the work days for Marengo, get ready for a STELLAR course. its gonna be challenging and fun. cant wait. few more wooded holes to clear and then installation of the goodies. w00t w00t

What are the holes looking like at Marengo? Does it have a good mix of distance? I liked Black Bear because of the woods, but all the holes are so short that it never really gets too challenging and I finish the round just craving to crush a disc with nowhere to throw.

I've heard rumors about a course in Minooka going in, but I've yet to find any details.

ThreePutt--When is the last time you've been back to play in this area?

Streamwood has had quite a few tweaks over the last few years and is a really solid course for an open area. It now has awesome concrete tees, new chainstar baskets, 2nd set of pin placements, & tee signs. They also planted a handful of trees.

Crystal Lake has had an upgrade too. Rubber tees and tee signs.

I'm still working on the Round Lake Park District to upgrade Fairfield. I'm hoping to break thru this year. There is now a path with a bridge across the creek. It opens the back area of the park for some better golf. I'm hoping for the best course in the area with some unique features.

Fairfield was a hot mess the last time I saw it. A lot of construction going on there. Any improvements there would be great!