• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Golf Equipment

Wow that looks like my a 4th grader... Last time I post from my cell phone. Gateway's glo disc's arent bad if they are new, they just glo splotchy! And yes If you use LED's thats a Dollar a throw. BAM SS funds

I should add that I don't play "serious" rounds with night golf. Therefore I don't care if the disc flight is altered somewhat by taping things onto it. If you're going to take it seriously or enter night tournies, glow discs are probably the way to go.

Great post on the Extreme Glow website with the flats! They are really awesome and last a LONG time, believe I was told they would last approximatley 21 hours or somethign and ended up having one that woouldn't turn off and lasted over a week. Going to grab about 50+ of flat LED's and sell them for 3$ each or 2 for 5$ during our glow rounds! glow disc is the best!

i play a lot of night disc and ive gone from using those glow stick bracelets and taping them to the disc, to those light beacons (red are the best and last longest), to buying a set of Glo discs(Beast, Roc, Buzz, Aviar)...now im back to the red Beacons. i could not get the glo disc to glow for any longer than one throw, not one hole, one THROW! i tried maglite, led flashlight, blacklight flashlight, cameraflash...pretty much all i could think of and they never worked as i expected.

i used to buy those 3-inch glow sticks to hang on the chains since our course is only 9 holes, but at about $8 a rd, it got expensive so i just carry a flashlight and light up the reflective tape on the top of our baskets :)

all i use for a good night round is:
Discs
Light Beacons (Red are best)
Gorilla Tape
Beer
OFF (Texas mosquitos are brutal)
and the good ol "Disc Golf Guy's" P.E.D. ;)

Those flat lights are the best I've used for night golf and this is coming from a glow league coordinator, we play all through the winter months in deep snow. Glow plastic is just not an option for us. It disappears in snow and it also doesn't hold a charge as long in cold weather.

I usually just leave the flat lights taped on all season long. They should last for the whole glow season.

THANKS for the link on the OP. I've been searching and searching for cheap flat lights and finally found it!

Here's what our group has done and had good success with:

Bought two packages of twenty 3.0 volt batteries (I believe that's what we used, but I'll double-check) for $3.40, ... Attach one LED to one battery and tape that combination to the center, underside of your disc. High-grade packing tape works best, but any tape will eventually come loose if it's wet outside.

This is pretty much the way we go around here too.

LED light and Battery taped together then, taped to the disc.

Night Golf=Found plastic in the morning

Doing-it-wrong.jpg

What I have found to work the best. LED + CR2016 Lithium Battery + Clear Duct Tape + Intoxicant of Choice = Night Golf Win!

Tape an LED to a CR2016 battery then tape to bottom middle ofa clean Champ/Z disc. The LED will only work one way so if it doesn't light up flip it over. Clear duct tape is the best way I have found to make them stick even if they hit trees or if it's cold out. I have also never lost a disc playing night golf. I did lose a mini once....

We use glow necklaces for the baskets. We wrap them around the posts right at the sweet spot. They come in 2-packs at the dollar store and we usually light up 9 baskets and play through twice.

Our group has a more extreme approach....

We use the Photon II microlight LED (keychain light).
Drill 3 holes in the disc. Use 2 tiny zip ties that loop through the holes and the LED light.

Yes, it's a little heavier than the other LED's (about 8gm)
Yes, MOST people shiver at the thought of drilling holes in their discs.
Yes, they cost about $7-12 apiece at retail

BUT - there are many advantages....

1.) we have had only one come off in the hundreds of tree hits we've hit.
2.) They are extra bright and you can choose from about 8 colors
3.) You can replace the batteries easily
4.) We just set the discs aside as our "night discs", so the issue about drilling becomes moot, as you don't have an illegal disc for day tournament play.
5.) You can also turn the lights on/off at will to conserve batteries between shots.
6.) We have had discs go underwater and the lights stayed on, and the device was not compromised.

No, I don't work for LRI (the company that makes Photon II).

Latest posts