• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Jen, just about everyone on this board claims they don't enforce the rules on a regular basis. is it because disc golfers are cheaters and douche bags or is it because the rules don't work very well? i prefer to chalk it up to the rules.

So you're saying that you disrespect disc golf (the game of rules) instead of disc golfers. I think some disc golfers here would say you also disrespect disc golfers.

So you're saying that you disrespect disc golf (the game of rules) instead of disc golfers. I think some disc golfers here would say you also disrespect disc golfers.

Well you have disc golfers who defend the rules in one post and then say they don't really enforce the rules in another. I think both disc golf in general and many disc golfers would become more respected if the rules actually were widely enforceable and applied fairly to all competitors. That sure isn't the case as of now.

Well Jen, just about everyone on this board claims they don't enforce the rules on a regular basis. is it because disc golfers are cheaters and douche bags or is it because the rules don't work very well? i prefer to chalk it up to the rules.

Well you have disc golfers who defend the rules in one post and then say they don't really enforce the rules in another. I think both disc golf in general and many disc golfers would become more respected if the rules actually were widely enforceable and applied fairly to all competitors. That sure isn't the case as of now.

I think the reality of the situation demands the kind of rules that can be enforced by an official at supertour events (and especially televised events) so that broadcast of events can even happen. And this is one of those rules. At the same time, I think it's unrealistic to expect players to enforce the rules without an official intervening. Players get shunned over this sort of thing. It's just not going to happen. That's reality. But does that mean these types of rules should not apply at lower tier events or non televised events?

I think the reality of the situation demands the kind of rules that can be enforced by an official at supertour events (and especially televised events) so that broadcast of events can even happen. And this is one of those rules. At the same time, I think it's unrealistic to expect players to enforce the rules without an official intervening. Players get shunned over this sort of thing. It's just not going to happen. That's reality. But does that mean these types of rules should not apply at lower tier events or non televised events?

I could care less if an event is televised or not. It shouldn't change anything about the rules. if they have a problem with a slow player, move the shot to someone else and play a replay.

The time rule for instance is a huge bother for the players to enforce. It requires taking a time and then issuing a warning, and to be non-selective, timing should be occurring on every shot while the warning is in affect. Otherwise you have a player on warning, who may or may not be penalized for taking too much time, depending if the person applying the warning is actually timing that shot. Way too much room for inconsistency. If instead the rule was limited to when a group is out of position on the course, then the warning players would only have to time until they caught up, rather than the whole round. I know that the rules don't require timing every shot, but if you are going to issue the warning, you need to follow up on it. Otherwise you become Barry Schultz, who would use the rules repeatedly to gain advantages over other players. Plenty of Barry Schultz's still remain and you need to protect the players from them, in both top tier and lower tier events. .

Otherwise you become Barry Schultz, who would use the rules repeatedly to gain advantages over other players. Plenty of Barry Schultz's still remain and you need to protect the players from them, in both top tier and lower tier events. .

.......everyone can use the same rules to gain the same advantage.......

pig-chip.gif

Last edited:
I could care less if an event is televised or not. It shouldn't change anything about the rules. if they have a problem with a slow player, move the shot to someone else and play a replay.

The time rule for instance is a huge bother for the players to enforce. It requires taking a time and then issuing a warning, and to be non-selective, timing should be occurring on every shot while the warning is in affect. Otherwise you have a player on warning, who may or may not be penalized for taking too much time, depending if the person applying the warning is actually timing that shot. Way too much room for inconsistency. If instead the rule was limited to when a group is out of position on the course, then the warning players would only have to time until they caught up, rather than the whole round. I know that the rules don't require timing every shot, but if you are going to issue the warning, you need to follow up on it. Otherwise you become Barry Schultz, who would use the rules repeatedly to gain advantages over other players. Plenty of Barry Schultz's still remain and you need to protect the players from them, in both top tier and lower tier events. .

Didn't a ball golf pro lose his tour card over a time violation (searching for lost ball) that was called by an official? I mean, at least nominally it was because he refused to accept the penalty and intentionally turned in an incorrect score card. But clearly the time rules are not unique to disc golf. The PDGA notoriously adapts rules from the PGA and the Olympics. Did you ever even play ball golf?

(Bold added to highlight what I am responding to.)

Not true. The rules are almost always enforced and applied fairly to all competitors because almost all players play by the rules almost all the time.

They are really easy rules to follow, there is not much (if any) advantage to be gained by cheating, and all players are responsible for their own play.

In a related point, it would be almost impossible for player to go off on another player and use the rules to beat them into a pulp. First, because no one is violating that many rules. Second, because if they were, it would be very easy to stop violating the rules.

The effectiveness of rules is not measured by how many penalties are called, or how they are dealt with. The effectiveness of rules is measured by the degree to which everyone is playing the same game.

Isn't great having an individual posting here to let us know that Nilkko was charged at by the official. Too bad we're all wrong here and he's right. So great to have him grace us with his presence and wisdom about a sport he's never played in his life.

Isn't great having an individual posting here to let us know that Nilkko was charged at by the mongol warrior official. Too bad we're all wrong here and he's right. So great to have him grace us with his presence and wisdom about a sport he's never played in his life.

FTFY

Nikko feared for his life in that moment.

Didn't a ball golf pro lose his tour card over a time violation (searching for lost ball) that was called by an official? I mean, at least nominally it was because he refused to accept the penalty and intentionally turned in an incorrect score card. But clearly the time rules are not unique to disc golf. The PDGA notoriously adapts rules from the PGA and the Olympics. Did you ever even play ball golf?

I have seen nothing on this. In this case the penalty would have been DQ from the tourney and not the loss of his tour card.

As far as time penalties, the two sports couldn't be further apart with the exception that you have a certain to throw or make a stroke. We need time rules similar to the PGA but it seems the PDGA does not want to adopt those more sensible rules where they can.

(Bold added to highlight what I am responding to.)

Not true. The rules are almost always enforced and applied fairly to all competitors because almost all players play by the rules almost all the time.

They are really easy rules to follow, there is not much (if any) advantage to be gained by cheating, and all players are responsible for their own play.

In a related point, it would be almost impossible for player to go off on another player and use the rules to beat them into a pulp. First, because no one is violating that many rules. Second, because if they were, it would be very easy to stop violating the rules.

The effectiveness of rules is not measured by how many penalties are called, or how they are dealt with. The effectiveness of rules is measured by the degree to which everyone is playing the same game.

Except for the time rule. I think you said you called a penalty on yourself (without the applicable warning, so not really a penalty) so you may be an exception, but most of the posters on this website say they do not bother calling time infractions on other players. So ignoring the rules makes them cheaters, no? It also makes me a cheater because I don't call them either. So the truth of the matter is that most players ignore the rules and thus are cheaters. Modification of the rules would make this less true.

Isn't great having an individual posting here to let us know that Nilkko was charged at by the official. Too bad we're all wrong here and he's right. So great to have him grace us with his presence and wisdom about a sport he's never played in his life.

None of the currently available videos show that portion of the incident. It was in the video that was originally posted here but taken down. The official was way up and across the fairway and pretty much stomped towards Nikko with a very nasty look on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.