• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like someone said, I would hope that the official said something to the group about why he was there, and didn't just ambush Nikko with the warning.

I recall a few years ago, at our local tourney, the TD asked me to check out the lead MP50 group for taking too much time.
So…I show up to the group without any fuss, start looking at my watch every time someone threw or putted and they quickly figured out exactly why I was there. Play went quite a bit faster after that.
Not trying to rationalize or excuse Nikko's bad behavior, but wonder if he was "ambushed", based on his reaction…

Also not saying it was the official's fault, no excuses for what Nikko did.
Just wonder if it the issue could've been handled better within the context of the Rules of Competition…

Last edited:
Like someone said, I would hope that the official said something to the group about why he was there, and didn't just ambush Nikko with the warning.

The official owes no one any explanation of why they are where they are IMHO. They should be able to wander the course for whatever reason they see fit. If players elect to follow the rules this is a non issue and there is no such thing as "ambushing."

Just wonder if it the issue could've been handled better within the context of the Rules of Competition…

Yes it could have. Nikko could have made the decision to follow the rules that he agreed to follow by being a PDGA member and signing up for the event and not acting like a DB. The official handled it exactly right. Nikko is 100% at fault here.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get suspended. Didn't Bradley Williams get suspended for bumping shoulders with Matt Dollar?

And yet, you couldn't resist your urge.

-sigh-

attachment.php

Attachments

• cartman.jpg
    cartman.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 311

I'll also say that the PGA rule on time, only goes into effect if the group is out of position on the golf course (a hole open ahead for instance). That's really the only time this rule should be enforced. If that was the case then I think a penalty should not have been called. Many times during a round someone doesn't throw within 30 seconds from my experience, but the group still stays in position on the course.

If you're going to push for disc golf to be like golf, could you please push it towards modern golf, not some half-remembered old version? I don't want to throw feather-stuffed leather discs.:D

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/encouraging-prompt-pace-of-play.html

New Rule: Rule 5.6 encourages prompt pace of play by recommending that:

Players should recognize that their pace of play affects others and they should play promptly throughout the round (such as by preparing in advance for each stroke and moving promptly between strokes and in going to the next tee),
A player should make a stroke in no more than 40 seconds (and usually in less time) after the player is able to play without interference or distraction, and
Committees should adopt a Pace of Play Policy (rather than only say they may do so).

The official owes no one any explanation of why they are where they are IMHO. They should be able to wander the course for whatever reason they see fit. If players elect to follow the rules this is a non issue and there is no such thing as "ambushing."

Yes it could have. Nikko could have made the decision to follow the rules that he agreed to follow by being a PDGA member and signing up for the event and not acting like a DB. The official handled it exactly right. Nikko is 100% at fault here.

I guarantee you that every player on tour has exceeded the allowed time many times without penalty. Unless a direct warning was given to him that he was on the clock, and all distractions and reasons for resets were absent, and his group was out of position on the course,; he should not have been given a penalty. If any of the above is untrue then it won't make sense to most people to penalize him and it makes disc golf rules look unorganized, vindictive and arbitrary. We don't know all the facts as to why he lost his cool in such an unacceptable way or why he was challenging the ruling, but we should before we come to any complete judgement.

For example, let's say someone warns you are taking too much time on the 2nd or 3rd hole of a PDGA Event, then tells you that he timed you on number 12 and you exceeded 30 seconds and you have to take a penalty. I don't know one disc golfer who would accept that penalty without a strong fight. I also know quite a few where it would lead to a physical encounter I also think anyone who did it would be a pariah locally. I'm not sure the fringe top American players will be willing to make this trip going forward. Was Nikko called out specifically because he was a foreigner for instance?

If you're going to push for disc golf to be like golf, could you please push it towards modern golf, not some half-remembered old version? I don't want to throw feather-stuffed leather discs.:D

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/encouraging-prompt-pace-of-play.html

That is the recommendation for all players and is only guidance. PGA Tour is a bit different. You have to average being over the time limit for 12 tourneys and then you go on a list. Once on the list you have more time, but if you fail to achieve that, a PGA official can be brought in to warn and time you.

You can also be subject to penalty if your group is out of position.

PDGA should always look at ball golf rules before setting their own. They have had many more decades to develop. Instead their seems to be revulsion, because I don't know? They want to look stupid and arbitrary?

https://golf.com/news/pga-tour-pace-of-play-policy/

Last edited:
Some of y'all act like you haven't read all the posts in this thread. A lot of this speculation has been covered already.

It actually hasn't.

Was his group out of position?
Was the warning he got from the day before?
Was he notified he was on the clock by the official?
Were there any distractions the official missed, that would have allowed him to reset the time?
What exactly was the violation time?

I guarantee you that every player on tour has exceeded the allowed time many times without penalty.

Irrelevant. You're justifying one wrong with another.

Unless a direct warning was given to him that he was on the clock, and all distractions and reasons for resets were absent, and his group was out of position on the course,; he should not have been given a penalty. If any of the above is untrue then it won't make sense to most people to penalize him and it makes disc golf rules look unorganized, vindictive and arbitrary. We don't know all the facts as to why he lost his cool in such an unacceptable way or why he was challenging the ruling, but we should before we come to any complete judgement.

Make an effort to play by the rules ALL THE TIME like what was agreed upon when getting the PDGA membership then this is a non issue. Duh.

For example, let's say someone warns you are taking too much time on the 2nd or 3rd hole of a PDGA Event, then tells you that he timed you on number 12 and you exceeded 30 seconds and you have to take a penalty. I don't know one disc golfer who would accept that penalty without a strong fight. I also know quite a few where it would lead to a physical encounter I also think anyone who did it would be a pariah locally. I'm not sure the fringe top American players will be willing to make this trip going forward. Was Nikko called out specifically because he was a foreigner for instance?

Sounds like you are making crap up (again) or you play with some grade A *******s. Knowing disc golfers the way I do I theorize the former and this proves to me once again you do not actually play disc golf. In a way, I really hope you do play disc golf and show up to one of my tourneys. I'd have fun with someone like you at a tourney I TD.

But...This is a troll post. You clearly are talking out your backside. Please stop.

Irrelevant. You're justifying one wrong with another.

Make an effort to play by the rules ALL THE TIME like what was agreed upon when getting the PDGA membership then this is a non issue. Duh.

Sounds like you are making crap up (again) or you play with some grade A *******s. Knowing disc golfers the way I do I theorize the former and this proves to me once again you do not actually play disc golf. In a way, I really hope you do play disc golf and show up to one of my tourneys. I'd have fun with someone like you at a tourney I TD.

But...This is a troll post. You clearly are talking out your backside. Please stop.

Point being, even you violate the time rules sometimes, as we all do. If i ever played in one of your events i would bring a stopwatch to prove my point. I'll let you know on the first tee that I will be timing you occasionally throughout the round. Is that how it should be?

Point being, even you violate the time rules sometimes, as we all do. If i ever played in one of your events i would bring a stopwatch to prove my point. I'll let you know on the first tee that I will be timing you occasionally throughout the round. Is that how it should be?

So you're saying you'd enforce the 30 second rule like you are supposed to do on your cardmates? Sounds good to me. You won't though because you don't actually play disc golf.

So you're saying you'd enforce the 30 second rule like you are supposed to do on your cardmates? Sounds good to me. You won't though because you don't actually play disc golf.

You have no idea brother. I don't think you have ever been correct in a reply to me. The hate seems to blind you to reason.

WOW even Gateway suspended his sponsorship as they investigate further. Even his uncle is over it.

I know that was 6 hours ago, I'm behind.

Another thread that's gonna turn into people arguing over irrelevant stuff to the actual thread itself.

Cool.

Nikko needs to take some yoga lessons or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts