• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard the guy in the video was a TD or assistant TD or something. I don't know if that's true...but assume it might be. I thought he handled it like a guy who was there doing a job...honestly it could have gone a lot worse if the guy had just been a volunteer who just thought "I'm not getting paid, why would I back up just because this guy walked up on me".

That is Matěj Verl, the PDGA Europe Tour Manager; at this event in all likelihood designated as PDGA Marshall. Matěj has the same role and authority in Europe that Big Dog has globally.

Last edited:
Was he notified he was on the clock by the official?

-> Doesn't matter, you are always on the clock. You have 30 seconds.

Were there any distractions the official missed, that would have allowed him to reset the time?

-> 2022 Rule change: You dont get resets any more for distractions. Which was ridiculous anyway.

What exactly was the violation time?

-> As if that matters. He got all into the officials face.

So all in all, your points are either from last year or dont matter at all.

That is the recommendation for all players and is only guidance. PGA Tour is a bit different. You have to average being over the time limit for 12 tourneys and then you go on a list. Once on the list you have more time, but if you fail to achieve that, a PGA official can be brought in to warn and time you.

You can also be subject to penalty if your group is out of position.

PDGA should always look at ball golf rules before setting their own. They have had many more decades to develop. Instead their seems to be revulsion, because I don't know? They want to look stupid and arbitrary?

https://golf.com/news/pga-tour-pace-of-play-policy/

The 40 seconds for golf is within Rule "5.6 Unreasonable Delay; Prompt Pace of Play". It is not some detached recommendation in a book by Emily Post.

In Golf, the R&A/USGA are the governing bodies that sets the Rules, not the PGA tour. The PGA tour did not and cannot eliminate R&A/USGA rules.

For disc golf, the PDGA is the governing body, not the DGPT. The DGPT could (maybe?) have their own policy about pace of play, but it would not cancel or overrule the 30 second rule.

On almost every rules question that comes up, "What does golf do?" is one of the first things asked. Many of our issues have already been solved by golf, so it is a good sources of ideas. However, we actually look at the golf rules. When we look closely, we often find golf is not a wonderland worthy of being unthinkingly copied.

Often, there are reasons we don't do the exact same thing as golf. The "gentlemanly" looseness of the wording is a problem we try not copy from golf. For example: Using the phrase "It is recommended" when a player can darn well be penalized if they don't follow the recommendation. The reason we don't want to word it that way is because the resulting enforcement would be on an arbitrary basis.

The 40 seconds for golf is within Rule "5.6 Unreasonable Delay; Prompt Pace of Play". It is not some detached recommendation in a book by Emily Post.

In Golf, the R&A/USGA are the governing bodies that sets the Rules, not the PGA tour. The PGA tour did not and cannot eliminate R&A/USGA rules.

For disc golf, the PDGA is the governing body, not the DGPT. The DGPT could (maybe?) have their own policy about pace of play, but it would not cancel or overrule the 30 second rule.
Just like you said "would not", I indeed doubt they would.
Technically speaking, however, the DGPT could ask the PDGA for a waiver to alter/ignore any active rule, in this case, the 802.03 Excessive time rule.

Just like a TD needs to ask for a waiver for any hole with non-standard use of OB (island holes, most notably), or how the USDGC needs to ask for a waiver for their experimental rules (making USDGC an XM tier event).

On almost every rules question that comes up, "What does golf do?" is one of the first things asked. Many of our issues have already been solved by golf, so it is a good sources of ideas. However, we actually look at the golf rules. When we look closely, we often find golf is not a wonderland worthy of being unthinkingly copied.

Often, there are reasons we don't do the exact same thing as golf. The "gentlemanly" looseness of the wording is a problem we try not copy from golf. For example: Using the phrase "It is recommended" when a player can darn well be penalized if they don't follow the recommendation. The reason we don't want to word it that way is because the resulting enforcement would be on an arbitrary basis.

Rules of golf allow hosting committees to make their own rules on slow play..look it up. In any high level professional event, the requirement to warn players and notify them they are on the clock is in effect, especially on the PGA Tour. And no penalties can be accessed if the group is still in proper position on the course. Anything else and certain players can become targeted, which i feel is the situation here. So if they were waiting to tee off on this hole before this happened, there should not be penalty regardless of time taken, warning or not, etc.

He needs the Conrad school of cool. The man snowmanned hole 16 and you would have thought he parred just from watching him. These major event island holes do not like JC. :(

With the exception of hole16 at World's last year, that island was hole was pretty good to Conrad.

Rules of golf allow hosting committees to make their own rules on slow play..look it up. In any high level professional event, the requirement to warn players and notify them they are on the clock is in effect, especially on the PGA Tour. And no penalties can be accessed if the group is still in proper position on the course. Anything else and certain players can become targeted, which i feel is the situation here. So if they were waiting to tee off on this hole before this happened, there should not be penalty regardless of time taken, warning or not, etc.

Proper position on the course centers flow of play at the actual tournament but does nothing to address the remote viewer's experience and challenges of TV production. The dead time of players exceeding the 30-second rule is good for neither, though it doesn't really bother me as a viewer. I have heard Mahmoud Bahrani discuss the annoyance (my word) of knowing other action is occurring and piling-up in the que while Nikko and others stand there and don't act. The exception would be the case of a throw presenting particular challenge or a point in the tournament with significant tension and/or consequence.

Proper position on the course centers flow of play at the actual tournament but does nothing to address the remote viewer's experience and challenges of TV production. The dead time of players exceeding the 30-second rule is good for neither, though it doesn't really bother me as a viewer. I have heard Mahmoud Bahrani discuss the annoyance (my word) of knowing other action is occurring and piling-up in the que while Nikko and others stand there and don't act. The exception would be the case of a throw presenting particular challenge or a point in the tournament with significant tension and/or consequence.

The remote viewer is not a consideration in slow play rules, period.

The remote viewer is not a consideration in slow play rules, period.

You say that like thatbcondition is fixed for the rest of human existence which isn't the case and would be a bad way for the DGPT to proceed. Plus, DGPT employees have directly addressed how exceeding the time limit negatively affects video production. It's a fallacy to say that X can't be considered in decision making going forward because it has never before been considered.

You say that like thatbcondition is fixed for the rest of human existence which isn't the case and would be a bad way for the DGPT to proceed. Plus, DGPT employees have directly addressed how exceeding the time limit negatively affects video production. It's a fallacy to say that X can't be considered in decision making going forward because it has never before been considered.

DGPT should be figuring out how to catch the slow players later in their turn instead of trying to change how players paying for a paycheck play their games. The only valid reason for any slow play rules is that a group is out of position on the course. if they are not out of position then who cares? i could care less if the video producers have a bit of down time while a player is giving it their all.

Also exceeding the time limit is not a violation in itself. It only becomes a violation after a specific series of events. Proper specific warning, position of group, difficulty level of a shot, outside distractions in play, order of play, all determine how fast a shot should be played. They did a study on the PGA Tour and the first player to tee off and the first player to hit an approach, all violated the time rule the majority of the time during the study. It took on average 15-20 seconds more for those shots to be hit, by fast and slow players alike. Most everyone here thinks this a vanilla and chocolate thing, "he was too slow so it is a penalty'. There are a whole host of other issues also in play other than just time. The ignorance towards these issues may have gone a long way towards having the situation develop like it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.