• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No live coverage at DGWT events

I kinda feel like you just disagree with anything I say because I'm the one saying it, but that's your right I guess.
I only disagree when you spout nonsense or make a point worth discussion.

Don't flatter yourself.

Why is disc golf different than 'other sports?'

Is it the production quality?
The broadcast talent?
Is it that you have more friends to enjoy watching other sports live with? Or are more invested in the 'storylines' of other sports?

Is it that its more acceptable to go out and have a few drinks and watch live sports at a bar in a social setting?

Is it 'all of the above' (thats cool too)?

I'm actually curious here. Not trying to sound condescending or mocking.

Because nobody has heard of disc golf, and fewer play it. It is played, at its best, in the woods. And it is golf, an awful spectator sport, IMO, to begin with. Look at the lengths that the PGA goes to, in order to make their sport watchable.

I think this is the thing about DGWT that doesn't make sense to me. How about a tour where the mission is to showcase good players on good courses?

Other than the obvious fun of playing this sport, it was CCDG coverage of 2014 Worlds that attracted me to discuss golf as an "audience." Their enthusiasm for the sport and the top level play on beautiful, challenging courses were more than enough to make me want to watch disc golf online as well as try to raise the level of my own game.

So, DGWT, I don't really care about your live coverage statement. I'm a bit annoyed that you think it's your job to "attract audiences" while arranging events. Let private groups go out there and film and produce. The quality will sort itself out. Preventing live and post-production videos doesn't seem like it has any hope of improving media quality.

The DGWT is an InnovaMania promotion tool. It's a way for them to sell more plastic, that's why they want to attract people that have no idea about disc golf. The addicts are already buying their stuff

any other OGs discers on here laughing at all this? We've been down this road before in the "golden age" of flying discs...back when this actually was on broadcast television.

I think both sides of this predicament actually have very valid points. It is clearly an emotional topic for some people. I also think there is no right nor wrong here. But if you remove yourself as a fan and player you will realize that even with a dramatic finish, disc golf just isnt very fun to watch. I submit that it is one of, if not the, most fun sports to play...especially with a group, but watching DG just kinda sucks. I enjoy watching Central Coast on days when the weather is bad or at night. And Spin puts out good stuff usually. The Disc Golf Guy's post-produced stuff is also excellent...but I am a fan/player who quite literally can't remember not having disc golf in my life in some fashion. Im connected and attached.

Thats why, on nice weekends, your public course will be packed with all sorts of players. Its FUN. Just not to watch.

How is watching ball golf any different? Because last I checked it is on ESPN, national television and has its own golf channel...

How is watching ball golf any different? Because last I checked it is on ESPN, national television and has its own golf channel...

Golf has historically been played by a much more affluent demographic. I'd imagine the early sponsors that disc golf needs now we're much easier to come by when golf was first being broadcast.

Edit: Read the post you were referring to again, and I think you were talking about the playing versus watching argument. I'm not sure how to account for that, honestly. But golf has a much longer history than we do. With it being much more established than disc golf into mainstream culture, it probably seems more normal to sit and watch on TV.

Last edited:
The DGWT is an InnovaMania promotion tool. It's a way for them to sell more plastic, that's why they want to attract people that have no idea about disc golf. The addicts are already buying their stuff

That's the byproduct, not the purpose.

All businesses are in business to make money. Disc golfers baffle me with this thought that they shouldn't do all they can do to maximize their profit.

^Not aiming that at anyone in particular.

Ball golf has a 100 year(or more) head start. Comparing the two on any level is laughable.

The PGA was founded in 1916

Last edited:
All businesses are in business to make money. Disc golfers baffle me with this thought that they shouldn't do all they can do to maximize their profit.

^Not aiming that at anyone in particular.

Nah, profit is just a byproduct not the purpose.

Other sports have live coverage because they can sell commercial space. They have a product that people actually want to watch. The majority of disc golfers are playing while these big tournaments go on.

When I was playing a tournament during the USDGC, I was checking scores and ultimately would have known who won.

But I definitely looked forward to seeing all of the shots the winner and his opponents threw.

Last edited:
So you would work for free?
Lol i think you misunderstood... But'

Sure. As long as there is some kind of potential for long time or bigger return. We do a lot of this in real estate and project management to build a good rep/ gain trust etc.

JTs reply on the other hand im not sure is the same.

On the bright side, DGWT has been better for disc golf than the American Disc Golf Tour, right? While the DGWT hasn't been all that some promoters or fans would like it to be, at least it has made for some decent disc golf on some nice/unique courses.

Did you happen to watch the DGPT Championship multi-camera Semifinals? The production and commentary quality and breadth of coverage were outstanding. That model may not be reproducible at most events, but it was truly engaging and felt much more like a live golf tournament (which I also enjoy watching) than any disc golf tournament I've ever watched. If Dodge and co. can provide anything close to that moving forward, I will support them with my time, enthusiasm and $$.

Yep!

The product, under the nature of Smashboxx, and frankly, with Steve's help, by my assessment, grew tons this year.

The footage is going to be recorded and edited down anyways, why not stream the raw stuff live? All that's needed is a guest commentator and a microphone.

There's a reason all sports are aired live. The drama and excitement is gone after the fact.

The quality does NOT have to be ESPN level to attract an audience. If the commentators are good and engaging and the video is adequate... everything will be fine. Let the game speak for itself.... not Averey Jenkins and his sock drawer full of lifted sports cliches.

He's putting the cart well before the horse and giving a big SCREW YOU to his most loyal viewers in the process.

^Excellent points.

Jussi states that one of the reasons he refuses to stream DGWT tournaments live is the lack of MNF-comparable production quality. Then why push all the FB & IG stuff? Is watching his shows on FB or IG any slicker than it would be on Smashboxx/YT?

Also, if the future of sports viewing is on social media, as he says it will be, then why get the Finnish government to broadcast the European Open live on state TV?

And I still can't figure out how he plans on attracting massive corporate sponsorship to his productions without building an audience first. That's the cart-before-the-horse thing.

Finally, if he's so worried about the DGWT appearing unprofessional if Smashboxx shows a DGWT event live and if he really thinks it's realistic to hope to partner with corporate sponsors from the Fortune 500, perhaps he should spend a minute or two proofreading, for basic English grammar, punctuation and spelling, his letters outlining his "Media Reach" strategy before posting them on DGWT.com.

Frankly, I'm over the USDGC/DGWT/SB flap. There was plenty of all-you-can-eat live disc golf on YT to watch this season, without Jussi's events, and it seems like there will be even more in 2017, with or without DGWT shows. And I love how industrious, energetic and confident Jussi is. I have nothing personal against him, I just love watching him do his job. And I love it because I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the hell he's doing or how the hell he's going to succeed.