• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

They couldn't even get the conversion right? 10 meters is not 23 feet 10 inches. :doh:

This rule doesn't just disallow jump-putts, it disallows going past your mark on *ALL* non-tee throws.

Edit: In the new rule, I don't see any definition of when you *CAN* go past your mark (i.e. after demonstrating balance, X number of seconds after throwing, after disc has come to rest, etc.). Unless I'm missing something, this is a pretty big omission.....since, you know, you couldn't ever go past your mark.

Last edited:
They couldn't even get the conversion right? 10 meters is not 23 feet 10 inches. :doh:

I saw that too, pretty funny -- but not much else is amusing in those proposals. Some of it seems down right insane! :doh:

No more ESPN Philo bombs from the fairway, good thing he made that throw before these new rules pass.

No more ESPN Philo bombs from the fairway, good thing he made that throw before these new rules pass.

I'm not convinced he stepped past his lie on that shot. Looks like he was pivoting on one foot, and could have very easily stayed behind his mark. Is there video of his entire follow-through?

Anyway, nevertheless, the bigger point is that, yes, some players would have to adjust to not stepping past their mark on fairway throws.....but I don't think it's that big of a deal overall.

There's another proposed rule suggesting the putting circle be identified as 50 meters, which would imply you can follow through normally from longer range than that. Obviously needs clarifying. They really want to end jump putting, it seems. OK with me (I've never done it).
Some of the other cool, improved rules: looks like holing out will allow those nub-hanging shots that happen once in a blue moon; that TD's will have discretion to allow going directly to the drop zone for water carries (so some of us weaker arms can save a disc from going in the drink if we KNOW we can't clear); and the 'rewind to the mando' seems interesting (not a stroke penalty, but must work back & around).

yes, some players would have to adjust to not stepping past their mark on fairway throws.....but I don't think it's that big of a deal overall.

But you also are a 1000 rated dgcr poster not thrower lol. So stupid.

Restricting follow thru is hard on the body for drives also. It is good to "walk it out" after the release.

I hope they provide videos showing the correct way and the wrong way to throw with this new proposed rule.

I think the most interesting part of this website is the number of rule changes that were PASSED. The one in question passed 4-3 in voting... so I'd say it's gonna happen. Then again, the 50-meter rule passed 7-1... so which will it be?

I think the most interesting part of this website is the number of rule changes that were PASSED. The one in question passed 4-3 in voting... so I'd say it's gonna happen. Then again, the 50-meter rule passed 7-1... so which will it be?

Both have ***, which means "*** Not incorporated into working revision, pending Board action.". So yeah, I guess the Board decides which one wins?

Still wondering how ST-1 passes without any mention of when it is okay to move beyond your lie. Please tell me I'm missing something. I guess the summary says "Must show balance behind lie for all throws.", so totally striking that from the rule is probably just an oversight. But still.

PROPOSED

[ remove definition of "Putt" ]

[ remove 10 meter conversion ]

802.04.C

Supporting point contact with or beyond the marker disc after the disc has been released is not permitted.

802.04.D

[ remove, and move E-F up ]

UNTIL WHEN???

I wish "until the thrown disc comes to rest" would work, but it doesn't for blind shots. Hate being stuck with "demonstrate balance".

I'm not convinced he stepped past his lie on that shot. Looks like he was pivoting on one foot, and could have very easily stayed behind his mark. Is there video of his entire follow-through?

Anyway, nevertheless, the bigger point is that, yes, some players would have to adjust to not stepping past their mark on fairway throws.....but I don't think it's that big of a deal overall.

Aim For The Chains
But you also are a 1000 rated dgcr poster not thrower lol. So stupid.

Restricting follow thru is hard on the body for drives also. It is good to "walk it out" after the release.

Fascinating.

Rodney - Is it fascinating to find out that you are a 1,000 rated poster?

Or perhaps it is fascinating to learn that someone with over 14,400 DGCR posts is more of an expert than you since you only have 3,200 posts and 35 years of experience?

Rodney - Is it fascinating to find out that you are a 1,000 rated poster?

Or perhaps it is fascinating to learn that someone with over 14,400 DGCR posts is more of an expert than you since you only have 3,200 posts and 35 years of experience?

Haha, yeah I guess more the latter.

But I did appreciate the compliment on my posting quality!

Grodney doesn't even, like, have a crown.

giphy.gif

Do we know exactly when the board will vote on these and they are confirmed or not?

Cure is worse than the disease.

My feeling exactly.

They're wanting to destroy my old joints, just to stop the jump-putts.

And replace the hard-to-call jump-putt with the easy-to-call "demonstrate balance". (It is easy to define and call, isn't it?)....on 10 times as many shots, no less.

Sigh.

Throwing big anny's or BH rollers with good form will lead to stepping through the shot after the disc is released. The proposed rule would effectively make this illegal anywhere outside of the teeing area.

As the game moves to longer and longer par 4's and 5's this is a regressive cure for a disease that may be contentious and borderline but doesn't offer any clear advantage.

That's at the top level though. Further down the scale I would have to spend my rounds calling faults on other players who consistently walk/run through their follow through on all shots from the fairway because they have not figured out how to balance through the shot and brace their weight correctly (on stand and deliver throws as well) . I doubt a multitude of players form will suddenly improve because of a rule change...

It's great that the rule committee are considering all options however out there they may seem, however it worries me slightly that 4 members either have little understanding of disc golf mechanics or are unworried that a fix for one issue will stop a range of different shots from the fairway and throw up a host more problems. I hope personally the board does not go ahead with this recommendation.

As the 50 meter ruling got voted 7 - 1 vs 4 - 3 I'd assume it is more likely that will be enacted and I am not sure what I think of that one.

There are some excellent other changes in the proposal.