• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No! No! charge me more please.....

I don't mind price hike on special stuff, but if all production molds jump to higher price range then buying stacks of molds is gonna suck more. Rip wallet.

Soon you can get dg backpack for same price as one disc which is what I am worried about. And it seems innova discover bp is already priced at 24,90 (€uros).

I agree, if the regular production stuff is getting upcharged simply due to team having a specific pro player then no it is not right. The Paul McBeth discs with the special stamp on them yeah I can see same as touring discs even though the Paul McBeth or Paige Pierce molds are made with enough runs to them to be basically production, I mean they have to pay for the top players they gave big salaries somehow. If it is a mold that is full production run that is not a touring disc or limited run/tournament fundraiser disc then I would be confused as to why a company thinks it can charge more for most of its molds including baseline being the next up Pro/R-Pro or X type plastic cost and the mid-level plastics are the cost of the lower end premium discs without a single explanation as to why the cost went up something is wrong. The Disc company might think just having the specific pro on the team is a good enough reason to raise the price of all the discs the company makes and not give an explanation as to why, if costs in production went up, something like that, or the factory moved location as company is outgrowing its original location.

I'm in my 70's and have just been playing disc golf for 6 years or so, and disc golf is by far the least expensive sport, activity, that I have ever been involved in. Frankly, I don't much mind paying $18 - $20 for a signature disc by a pro player that I like, and in the case of Paige Pierce, I have never seen a pro player engage with the fans and put in the public relations effort that she does before. I play at my favorite course for free, I watch pro-tournaments on the internet for free, and yes I do buy bargain discs whenever I have the opportunity but I will gladly pay an extra $5 on a disc when it is in support of my favorite pro players.:thmbup:

I am glad they, Discraft did't tell you guys to charge 39.99. Ouch......

Had Discraft went from 10 to 14, I bet you would have pumped the brakes and passed on the purchase. That is exactly what I did.

Discmania is the worst at that. Imagine a dealer cost on tour series and special edition discs at 61% higher dealer cost than stock discs. With MSRP's at $25-30. I go from ordering 30 specials down to 10 specials because of it. And then I get 10 of the worst green colors ever made. That was 2019 in a nut shell LOL

I mean the fact that it was cheap was always a selling point of disc golf, but once it gets popular you can sell it on the fact that so many people play it and it doesn't have to be cheap anymore. Once it doesn't have to be cheap, it won't be. All of the manufacturers will up prices until you get...as high as they can get them. That's how capitalism works, folks.

The bigger disc golf gets, the higher the disc prices will get. Stock up now, kids.

Discmania is the worst at that. Imagine a dealer cost on tour series and special edition discs at 61% higher dealer cost than stock discs. With MSRP's at $25-30. I go from ordering 30 specials down to 10 specials because of it. And then I get 10 of the worst green colors ever made. That was 2019 in a nut shell LOL

I purchased just 1 special disc from Discmania, a Roaming Thunder 2 CD2. It flies great, has a stamp I really like, but the swirl/color is just god awful.

The bigger disc golf gets, the higher the disc prices will get. Stock up now, kids.

Can you imagine when big money gets involved in the sport? Nike is producing discs for like 3 cents per frisbee in some factory in Asia whose workers are paid next to nothing and then charges $50-$75 bucks a pop. Yeah, grow the sport indeed.

In all fairness, a good rule of thumb is a double on you cost to maintain margin. I understand you all have overhead. I get that, but man, many of you guys are killing us. Trim the margin a bit and sell volume. If not, we as a buying public will let them sit on shelves until the prices make a bit more sense.

For most retailers, the margin is trimmed for stock discs where their goal is volume. For special and limited edition runs, the profit goal is more higher margin over volume. Volume doesn't work when the manufacture has a limited run and you can reorder. Special doesn't work when you flood the market with too many discs.

I purchased just 1 special disc from Discmania, a Roaming Thunder 2 CD2. It flies great, has a stamp I really like, but the swirl/color is just god awful.

Ugh. Discmania is the worst when it comes to the swirly S-line discs. I got tired of getting crappy green and gray colors from them so won't order any more sight unseen. You get much better colors when you can see them in person and hand pick them. I have yet to find a decent CD2 though. Those all seem to be crappy green.

Proof that things other than green do exist.

edc332331be4e9d264634e124fd9ad7d.jpg

2083cfa712b905bb2496ca075dbf13c0.jpg

I mean the fact that it was cheap was always a selling point of disc golf, but once it gets popular you can sell it on the fact that so many people play it and it doesn't have to be cheap anymore. Once it doesn't have to be cheap, it won't be. All of the manufacturers will up prices until you get...as high as they can get them. That's how capitalism works, folks.

When I started in the mid 90's a dx aviar cost $7-$8 retail which is still what they cost today.

When I started in the mid 90's a dx aviar cost $7-$8 retail which is still what they cost today.

True. And I think that is unlikely to change.

To Three Putt's general point though, golf discs have and will likely continue to become more expensive. It's important to note that most of the price increases has been driven by the quality of the materials used rather than the popularity of the sport. 20-25 years ago, it was unthinkable that there might be golf discs that retail for $20-25 regularly because everything was DX quality. Premium plastics were a real game changer in the industry.

I can definitely see a time where you can spend $30-35+ per disc to assemble a bag. But the key is that you can, not that you must. Baseline plastic will remain for the more cost-conscious folks. As long as the majority of courses are available for free in public parks and you can easily acquire a set of DX-quality discs, the selling point of the sport being inexpensive will continue to thrive.

So I was at PIA as I am every week some times 4 times a week. I did note the fine folks over at Discraft appear to have no shame about what they think the new signature appear to be worth these days. Last year's Mcbeth 4X Force was 15.99, this years 5X is a 19.99 disc. The plastic was the same clear red, at the same store, on the same rack, but the 4 dollar stamp made all the difference apparently. Well, I didn't buy any, in fact no Discraft went with me. I did load up on 12 other discs, well because I can't stop buying discs and they were pretty......

Hey Discraft, I am moving on to the next company.

P.S. Also, Paige's, new putter has not won anything yet, 20 bucks out of line. The Luna did not start that high and it has now actually done something. Now the Luna price moved to 19.99 and I have moved on. I did throw the Luna, gave them away after a few months. Nice disc, just not what I need anymore. Using a Chief, no glide and flies like a brick, 10.99.

And for those of you who think I am cheap, trust me, money is not one of my problems.

Money may not be your problem, but being a Hater is.

Just dont buy it, why come on here and cry about it?

There was hate in that post??? Where???

You know, I posted something similar on Facebook to what Plastic did last week stating how I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. Funny how a little criticism thrown the way of a manufacturer and people like you are so quick to immediately labeled critics a "hater."

Personally, I think if a manufacturer wants to stay in touch with their consumer base it's important to read criticisms like this. Otherwise, how would they know what's irritating their consumer base?

-Dave

I don't think we are to the place where manufacturers believe that the low-cost accessibility to the game is no longer important. So far they seem fairly reluctant to move very far away from the $7 DX/$10 Pro/$13 Champ/$15 Star general range that was set basically as each plastic was introduced. The push upmarket is happening in specialty runs; we can ensure cheap golf discs by simply refusing to buy them. :D That doesn't seem to be working, though. :(

Maybe we will get away with it; all the disc companies seem to be run by disc golfers so maybe they will always fundamentally believe in $8 golf disc as important even if the market allows them to move that price point up. Who knows?

You know, I posted something similar on Facebook to what Plastic did last week stating how I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. Funny how a little criticism thrown the way of a manufacturer and people like you are so quick to immediately labeled critics a "hater."

Personally, I think if a manufacturer wants to stay in touch with their consumer base it's important to read criticisms like this. Otherwise, how would they know what's irritating their consumer base?

-Dave

I'd argue that Discraft is staying in touch with their consumer base. They wouldn't set the msrp at $19.99 if people weren't willing to pay it. Nobody is making you buy these specialty runs. If you want a thrower, those prices remain the same.

-Dave

If u dont see the obvious. I cant help u.

-Eric

.... I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. ...

-Dave

I missed the announcement that Discraft was ceasing all production runs. How did a fanboi like myself, miss it?! Thankfully for the very limited time being, I can still find the reasonably priced, 7-15 dollar "final run" in every online store in exsistence. ;)

Sarcasm aside, a bit of hater is coming through in the OP, I think. It's like saying you would never throw DGA again, because when Steady Ed died he had his ashes put into discs that initially dropped at $200 a pop. Sure they still had their regular lineup, but that $200 business pissed me off.

Latest posts