• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

A new course called Neatman Creek, in Germanton north of the Triad, has a drone fly-through posted on YouTube. I believe it's a private course, and that access will first be through invites, then events, then TBD. Looks pretty excellent.

That place looks incredible. I'd pay good money to play that track...

I am going to have to figure out how to get on that loop! Here is the recent fly through of Runaway Rocks DGC. It's one of the two private courses (3 if you count the 18 hole tiki course) on my buddies property. We installed this course 3 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPkMcIwawx8

Looks like tee times have been made available for Neatman Creek over the next several days.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Neatman_Creek_Open_Tee_Times_2021

From the sound of things, if this goes well, access will continue to gradually open.

Re: Runaway Rocks, that's such a cool course, some amazing terrain to work with. Nice job with the fly through! The last time I played there, for a tournament this past spring, Dave had extended holes 4 and 14 into those awesome long par 4s, that were tremendous. I know Chuck has a tournament there in the fall, know of any more changes for that? I've only gotten a chance to play with Dave once, but he seems like one of the best human beings in disc golf.

I'd love to hear your thoughts more too.

It's a good course but the more I play it the less I like it. The novelty of the bamboo hole has completely worn off, it becomes a hot mess in no time because bamboo is godawful. Holes 9 and 13 are kind of gimmicky with the trees immediately off the tee. It's really fluky whether or not you hit them, especially 13's. The worse part is that when, not if, any of those trees die because they're in point blank range, the holes will become mediocre (especially 13). At least they put some protective mats on the pines on hole 9.

Hole 12 from the lungs is a fluke if you actually get around the dogleg. 14 is a soft par 4. Hole 17's green is a mound of holes and broken glass. Always swampy, lots of fairways get unkempt, etc.

Design-wise, the interesting thing that annoys me with many of the holes there is that the fairways *look* graciously wide but pivotally bottleneck at key distances. So you can hit 90% of your line but if that 10% misses that pinch point you can be screwed, even if you're within circle 2. Hole 16 is a good example of this.

It's a good course but the more I play it the less I like it. The novelty of the bamboo hole has completely worn off, it becomes a hot mess in no time because bamboo is godawful. Holes 9 and 13 are kind of gimmicky with the trees immediately off the tee. It's really fluky whether or not you hit them, especially 13's. The worse part is that when, not if, any of those trees die because they're in point blank range, the holes will become mediocre (especially 13). At least they put some protective mats on the pines on hole 9.

Hole 12 from the lungs is a fluke if you actually get around the dogleg. 14 is a soft par 4. Hole 17's green is a mound of holes and broken glass. Always swampy, lots of fairways get unkempt, etc.

Design-wise, the interesting thing that annoys me with many of the holes there is that the fairways *look* graciously wide but pivotally bottleneck at key distances. So you can hit 90% of your line but if that 10% misses that pinch point you can be screwed, even if you're within circle 2. Hole 16 is a good example of this.

Yeah, I haven't thought about it as much, but the more times I play it, the less often I play it. I still really love some holes out there. I also like that there are a (somewhat) wide variety of shots to throw ... or maybe it's just that the course encourages shots that I don't throw enough or I'm not as good at.

I very much dislike the 9/13 combo of trees. I've resorted to throwing a roller into the ditch on 13 every time.

There's a few things that I love about the course though. I love that holes 6 and 11 are kinda complements to each other. They're both long downhill drives that you want to stretch as far as you can, but one is wooded and the other is open. I also love other aspects like how 10's long tee has a dogleg that means your tee shot is shorter than your approach shot in most cases.

There's another course in the area I've been playing more and more. Garden Grove. You played there before?

Yeah, I haven't thought about it as much, but the more times I play it, the less often I play it. I still really love some holes out there. I also like that there are a (somewhat) wide variety of shots to throw ... or maybe it's just that the course encourages shots that I don't throw enough or I'm not as good at.

I very much dislike the 9/13 combo of trees. I've resorted to throwing a roller into the ditch on 13 every time.

There's a few things that I love about the course though. I love that holes 6 and 11 are kinda complements to each other. They're both long downhill drives that you want to stretch as far as you can, but one is wooded and the other is open. I also love other aspects like how 10's long tee has a dogleg that means your tee shot is shorter than your approach shot in most cases.
Yeah 6 and 11 are probably my favorite holes. I like holes 3, 8, 14 (even if it is a soft par 4), and 18 long position a lot. The short tees are fun too.

There's another course in the area I've been playing more and more. Garden Grove. You played there before?
It sucks. It's full of yellowjackets. (Actually true, we've knocked out over 7 nests already but they just keep building new ones). :\

It sucks. It's full of yellowjackets. (Actually true, we've knocked out over 7 nests already but they just keep building new ones). :\

Yellowjacket nests, are they in trees are the ones in the ground? When I cleared the property on our last house, the nests were in the ground. Found out we had to pour gasoline in the holes, once we finally found them.

There's this one and another private course north of the Triad, The Black Widow, you need to call ahead for that one also.

Looks like Winston-Salem is as interested in adding new courses as Raleigh is. As we all know, Horizon was the first course in NC, and the last one W-S has put in. Thanks to the churches, and now Davie County, there are more places to play in W-S.

Yellowjacket nests, are they in trees are the ones in the ground? When I cleared the property on our last house, the nests were in the ground. Found out we had to pour gasoline in the holes, once we finally found them.

They're in the ground. They like to build them 20-30' behind the tees unfortunately. :wall:

Looks like tee times have been made available for Neatman Creek over the next several days.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Neatman_Creek_Open_Tee_Times_2021

From the sound of things, if this goes well, access will continue to gradually open.

Re: Runaway Rocks, that's such a cool course, some amazing terrain to work with. Nice job with the fly through! The last time I played there, for a tournament this past spring, Dave had extended holes 4 and 14 into those awesome long par 4s, that were tremendous. I know Chuck has a tournament there in the fall, know of any more changes for that? I've only gotten a chance to play with Dave once, but he seems like one of the best human beings in disc golf.

He is absolutely one of the best humans I know! Next time you are there, try some of the pickles he makes.

The basket on hole 4 (first of the long par 4's) got moved back up the hill a little farther to make it a more challenging par 4. There was also one low limb blocking the left side line over the creek so we took that out so the folks with 400' of pinpoint accuracy (looking at you Terry G) can get rewarded for that skill. Other than general maintenance, that's about it.

currently at least half the "new" courses added on the homepage are nc courses

how many courses yall installing

They're in the ground. They like to build them 20-30' behind the tees unfortunately. :wall:

That's unfortunate to hear, was hoping to get back up there soon to check the course out again. Are they particularly bad on specific holes, or kind of all over the place? If it's the latter, I might just wait for the weather to cool off some.

currently at least half the "new" courses added on the homepage are nc courses

how many courses yall installing

Someone's been uploading info from UDisc. I played one today that's on UDisc but not on here. I'd imagine it's at least 5 years old.

That's unfortunate to hear, was hoping to get back up there soon to check the course out again. Are they particularly bad on specific holes, or kind of all over the place? If it's the latter, I might just wait for the weather to cool off some.

It's a crap shoot. They can be anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone's been uploading info from UDisc. I played one today that's on UDisc but not on here. I'd imagine it's at least 5 years old.

It looks like at least a few of them are by timg (only name on the Change History).

I stopped in that SE Free Will College one day to ask permission to play, they turned me down, so I didn't bother adding it here, thought I would save them the hassle. :\

Crapshoot like Riverdog said. We're pretty diligent on tackling them ASAP though. They seem to be slacking off a bit but still worth keeping an eye out for. We usually tape off the areas with white tape to warn others while the dust is killing them.

I believe that I've played more North Carolina courses than anybody else. Of course, I should provide a number to back that up, but I haven't counted lately. I know it's >80 public and private courses.
In 2008 I thought that 80 was a lot of NC courses. Now I'm up to 340+ NC courses played, and I still have 40-50 left to complete the whole state!

For anyone thinking about playing Farm Life Disc Golf in Williamston, NC you better love horseflies. There the worst, than anywhere else I've played. I was there a week ago. I was double timing it and not taking my bag off for putts and some approaches. I'll have a review up in a few days.

For Olorin, far worse than what you posted about Northwest River in Chesapeake last year. I've not seen horseflies there this year so far.

Got me a humdinger coming up...

Headed to Jackson Park (Hendersonville; never been to this course but it rates pretty high and my buddies seem hell-bent for it) for a round tomorrow late-morning, then to Wicked Weed for a beer flight or three, and then...to the Orange Peel to see the mighty Clutch...My cup truly runneth over.

Friday, over to Richmond Hill, which I've played but they haven't. Then I think I might try to hit up one of the Hickory courses on the way back into CLT.

Then random dubs at Plantation Ruins on Sunday. If I'm livin' right, make a little cash...Need to hit the ace pool to get back some of that beer money, I reckon.

Latest posts