North Carolina Courses

Castle Hayne is one of the Top 3 Best courses in the eastern part of NC (east of I-95).

Speaking of eastern NC courses, I played Glenburnie Park in New Bern - one of my faves in the state - on a windy day last month. On hole 8 I threw my best drive ever, right down the middle to about 25 feet away from the base of the hill, and then threw in the deuce from there, with a hook shot that started out way off to the side to ride the wind in.

That felt like a bigger accomplishment than some of my aces. My average score on that hole is closer to 5 than 4.

Looks like a new course popped up near CLT since I last played regularly. Torma Town. Excited to check it out!

They recently added some B pins to this course. Not every hole has two pin placements, but they all have new baskets.

Once I get my new camera setup I'd like to make a video. New benches, bridges and other details - locals sure put in a lot of work here over the years.

#3 has a new pin placement about 25' to the left of the original.

#12 B pin is about 60' deeper into the woods, making the second shot much trickier.

#14 B pin is much longer, maybe 100-120' further out. I used to try to go for birdie with a BH roller on the old pin - on the new one I'm going for two long flicks then hoping to sink a putt for birdie.

Not sure if more are planned but it's cool seeing them mix it up.

Also if anyone else here is into skateboarding, they built a pretty cool little skatepark next to hole 2's basket at Renski.

Hopefully you got out there because I believe Torma is closing down any day now.

oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I'll try to get out there this week if I can find the time. Any idea if the closing is permanent or temporary?

Permanent. You're a day too late.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-154755~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501-154755~2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 34
That had to be an uphill battle, a private course in the midst of the Disc Golf Mecca.

Olorin kept telling me how good it was. Only 13 holes, I believe, were playable on April 2nd. There was some construction going on at that time I guess. Wish I had time to play those holes but we were running on fumes by that point.

Has anyone been to the Country Course since the redesign?

*raises hand*

A few of the classic holes - the judge the main one that sticks out - are gone but the overall vibe of the course is still the same.

I think the owner did a great job taking a big pile of steaming crap that was laid in his lap and did an excellent job resolving it.

Dang, glad I got to play Torma on my last trip down. It was a really fun round and that place had awesome vibes.

Has anyone been to the Country Course since the redesign?

Have you been to Runaway Rocks / Rocky Ford? Dave now has 2 complete 18 hole courses and he recently created a Gold layout that combines the two into a really long 18 hole course. Of course there is the 18 hole tiki layout as well.

Played the new Fisher River DGC today. It is a short but technical course that is virtually entirely wooded. I used a Wombat off 3/4's of the tees and a fairway driver on the rest. If you are young and of neanderthal knuckle dragging arm you may be bored. At 70 years old I love it!

Played the new Fisher River DGC today. It is a short but technical course that is virtually entirely wooded. I used a Wombat off 3/4's of the tees and a fairway driver on the rest. If you are young and of neanderthal knuckle dragging arm you may be bored. At 70 years old I love it!
Funny. I was thinking that when it popped up, "just my speed".

Speaking of eastern NC courses, I played Glenburnie Park in New Bern - one of my faves in the state - on a windy day last month. On hole 8 I threw my best drive ever, right down the middle to about 25 feet away from the base of the hill, and then threw in the deuce from there, with a hook shot that started out way off to the side to ride the wind in.

That felt like a bigger accomplishment than some of my aces. My average score on that hole is closer to 5 than 4.

I loved playing Glenburnie, the only course I've played with Spanish Moss dripping from the trees. I don't think I'll ever forget #4 as my disc was heading toward the moss expecting it to get knocked down, but watching it fly right thru it brushing the moss aside, a unique flight of the disc. #8 basket high left birdie putt C2, I walked over to the other side of the green and saw that drop in the direction of the river, nope, I chickened out and dump the putt to the basket. Didn't want to chase my putter on a miss.

Dix Park East course is returning for a limited time tomorrow.

https://dorotheadixpark.org/discgolf

Looks like hole 2 has been made about 250' longer and is now a Par 4. Hole 3 is new to the course. Hole 4 and 5 are last year's holes 3 and 4. Hole 6 is last year's hole 5 but a little shorter. Hole 7 starts at last year's hole 6 tee and finishes at the original basket location for hole 7. Hole 8 and 9 remain largely the same, score card shows a couple feet deviation in length.

Morrisville SpringFest Disc Golf Course

Also going on this Saturday, a 1 day Temp course in Morrisville:

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...e_Present_Town_of_Morrisville_SpringFest_2023

CADL has been working with the town of Morrisville for years to have a permanent course installed. The town has agreed to have a Temp course installed at the Cedar Fork Regional Park, but this course will be near the Town Hall complex and designed to show local interest in getting a course added.
Please swing by for this 1 Day Only event with Tee times (8AM to 11AM) and receive a disc equal to the price of the entry. :thmbup:

Latest posts