• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On the edge of professional Disc Golf

So I'm wrong yet you're agreeing with me. Not quite sure I understand your tactics.
I disagree that misbehavior of individuals is holding back the sport -- at most they hinder development of specific projects. There are bigger hindrances to disc golf's growth than that, just not as visible on the ground.

Say all the smokers up and vanished... that now leaves our entirely competent manufacturing/supply infrastructure and entirely competent PDGA to blow up the sport, right? They NEED a boogeyman.

So it seems to me that there is a correlation between those that don't care to see our sport get bigger and those that defend using drugs and alcohol while playing in public places... So who's holding our sport back? Do I have to spell it out for you...

So it seems to me that there is a correlation between those that don't care to see our sport get bigger and those that defend using drugs and alcohol while playing in public places... So who's holding our sport back? Do I have to spell it out for you...
Do you realize how many hundreds if not thousands of discs Dynamic has put out there with pot leaf dyes? You love the biggest pro-weed outfit in the sport.

The future of DG minus all the "heads".

amish.jpg

I disagree that misbehavior of individuals is holding back the sport -- at most they hinder development of specific projects. There are bigger hindrances to disc golf's growth than that, just not as visible on the ground.

Say all the smokers up and vanished... that now leaves our entirely competent manufacturing/supply infrastructure and entirely competent PDGA to blow up the sport, right? They NEED a boogeyman.

I agree with the first part, though "specific projects" might be extended to "certain communities", where issues with one course may cloud the parks department's attitude to all courses.

When I hear "______ is holding back disc golf", my first thought that at most levels, nothing is holding it back. In almost all categories, disc golf is growing, and growing well.

Except for money and national exposure for the top pros, of course. The idea that something's holding that back is dependent on the assumption that these would naturally grow, if not for "_____" holding it back. Or that there's some magic formula that, if only the Powers That Be would recognize and implement, would boost pro disc golf to major sport status.

Personally, I don't believe either is true. Either disc golf is destined to be a participation sport, not a spectator sport; or the grassroots and scholastic growth will eventually provide the bulk of the fans the pros seek.

Either disc golf is destined to be a participation sport, not a spectator sport; or the grassroots and scholastic growth will eventually provide the bulk of the fans the pros seek.

You nailed it right here.

I think most of you miss a key element to all this bitching and moaning...disc golf as a whole from top pro to brand new bag full of warp speed drivers newbie, is not taken seriously by 99.999999999999999995% of human beings that don't play. Most of the time I tell people about the top pros and the response I get is,"wow they pay people to throw frisbees?" The only people who give a second thought to disc golf are DISC GOLFERS!!! Everyone trying to push the game to far too fast is gonna get the same result the professional paintball got, which was jack ****. Everyone trying to push the sport to far to fast needs to take a chill pill. And if it the ESPN theme music your lookin for before you see some disc golf coverage, then download the sound bit and play it to yourself before you watch that **** on YouTube cause you ain't gonna be seeing it on channel 30 anytime soon...just let the game grow as it will, and it will, more and more people play each year. It just a matter of time...So again I say SHUT THE **** UP AND JUST KEEP ON HUCKING!!!

In favor of bringing somthing else to light other then pay to play and subustance use I think that looking at the tournaments themselves. The big tournament that most disc golfers look forward to it is the pdga world championship. I love that it is in the US and for a long time it made sense beacuse of the large ammount of disc golfers in the United States that play pro but I think that it might be time to send it over to European countries for a year or so. European countries seem to treat disc golf with more respect on the non disc golfer side. I remember being told that like the usdgc was going to be on ESPN2 back in '08 or '09 and nothing ever became of that or at least to my knowledge. So maybe by sending the world championship and let it get some tv coverage over seas might make it more pleasing to the North American networks to show a few larger events beaver state fling, the memorial or the usdgc to name few.

I gould be wrong on some of this ^ but I hope it is at least understood what I am trying to get at.

Next might be the pay outs on the majors and the national tour. I think that by charging more and paying less spots over all (lets say the top 10-15 in each division, or what have you) might make it more of a choice of permanent income for some golfers. I know that is not totaly fair for some of the new pro players to play the event but if the dont want to play they dont have to.

This is more of a question... what is sooo wrong with having or trying to get companys like new balance, champion, under armor or monster or rockstar energy drinks from being a title sponsor of some of the larger events? I just dont understand the whole it needs to be a small company or discgolf related company. As far as I can tell money in the pot is money in the pot! It does not matter if it is from a disc golfers construction company, discraft, innova or PepsiCo!

I don't think sending the Worlds abroad would work. The payout is still too small. Most players would spend more to get there and lodging than they could possibly make in the tournament. Ams tend not to care about this but pros... this is their living. Losing money doesn't really help them any, regardless of where they placed.

My father in law is a sports nut. He'll watch any sport from high school level to pro, including golf. Our local cable company shows Disc Golf Monthly episodes and he turned it on while I was there since he knew I played. He might as well have been watching a daytime soap, he clearly wasn't impressed.

That is why Disc golf will never go mainstream, no one outside disc golf cares.

What is your point? You just keep insinuating that aim doesn't get it , but you never say anything except aimsfor is a booger nose and "Doesn't get it"

it helps if you read more than just one post, my friend, it really does

i will not lead your horse to water and i sure as hell won't make it drink

Try getting DD to dye you some chronic on a disc now and we'll see if they do. I seriously doubt it and I would be shocked. Why? Because they have risen above it now. They've grown. At least, I would think so. Merry easter!!!

Latest posts