• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One day in Charlotte NC

Thank for all the info!

I am going to be there this Friday (10/30). I have work in the morning in Mathews, but I hope to be done by early afternoon (12ish). Sounds like Nevin and Robert L. Smith are the ones to hit-up. Fitting in 2 might be a squeeze so I'll head for Nevin first.

Looks like Another Round might be a cool store to check out too?

Sounds like you've got enough info already, but here's another vote for Nevin and RL Smith. Nevin is a long course, and tough. RL Smith is shorter, but lots of OB. Both great, top notch courses. Renny is confusing and highly over rated in its current state.

Another Round is a great store. They have a surprising selection for the size of the store (small ish), and draft beer too...Parking can be tough/confusing with the road construction though, but worth checking out after your rounds.

If you're up north of Charlotte, Bradford is beautiful this time of year, and a great course.

If you're in Matthews you are just a few miles from Dry Creek at South Piedmont Community
College. While I agree with Nevin and RL Smith as top choices, Dry Creek is a terrific mixture of Piedmont wooded and open, air-it-out holes. A great blend and one of the region's best courses.

Thank for all the info!

I am going to be there this Friday (10/30). I have work in the morning in Mathews, but I hope to be done by early afternoon (12ish). Sounds like Nevin and Robert L. Smith are the ones to hit-up. Fitting in 2 might be a squeeze so I'll head for Nevin first.

Im the builder co-designer of Nevin. Might be able to meet you after lunch for a bit if things work out.

Thank for all the info!

***i am not trying to discourage you from playing Nevin...it is my favorite charlotte course**

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Nevin has had a rash of car break ins lately with one happening this week. It is well advised to not leave anything of value in your car when playing here casually. just a heads up.

***i am not trying to discourage you from playing Nevin...it is my favorite charlotte course**

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Nevin has had a rash of car break ins lately with one happening this week. It is well advised to not leave anything of value in your car when playing here casually. just a heads up.

Parking by 13 helps a bunch.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Reedy. I little further out but not far from Mathews and a beautiful course.

Probably due to the fact that it's kind of on an island (not any other close courses) and OP wants to try and get 2 in one afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reedy and that's where I learned to play this awesome game 20 yrs ago. But it's old, rather out of the way, and there are frankly, much better courses around the area to play!

But, if you're in Matthews angry beaver is right down the road. A good hard Charlotte type course shaped and reshaped by Stan McDaniel. Then I would play rl or nevin. This'll definitely cut down on the road time and u get more Dg time. Especially if daylight is an issue.

But, if you're in Matthews angry beaver is right down the road. A good hard Charlotte type course shaped and reshaped by Stan McDaniel. Then I would play rl or nevin. This'll definitely cut down on the road time and u get more Dg time. Especially if daylight is an issue.

I live less than 4 miles from Elon, it's my home course. From Reedy to Beaver is at least a good 30 min drive. If you're doing Scrapyard or Squirrel Lake, then yeah it's 15-20 min between courses.

As much as I love (hate) the Angry Beav, it's not *the* Charlotte-style course I'd personally recommend for a someone who can only get 1-2 rounds in during a single day. Especially the back 9. If I drove somewhere known as a "disc golf mecca" and spent half the day going long-dogleg left, long-dogleg right - back in forth in the woods for 6 holes - I'd be pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beav. But I'd rather play Nevin/Bradford/RL/Scrapyard or a number of others first if I'm time-limited.

The argument over the best course in Charlotte has been going on since the second course was put in. It hasn't been resolved yet, and won't be here. But if the visitor chooses Nevin & R.L. Smith he won't go home disappointed. Nevin is great and tough; R.L. is great and fun; and surely they qualify as Charlotte-style courses for the traveler to experience.

What David said.

There is no "best course" in Charlotte. All have their charm, challenge, and place in the city's legacy.
With only one day to play, I would say it depends more on what part of the city you're staying in.
Near the airport? RL Smith, Renny.
Matthews? Dry Creek, Idlewild.
Huntersville? Bradford, Robbins, Bailey ace runs.

Greetings all - I am new to this site, a Charlottean, and a recent re-awakened disc golfer after a 12+ year slumber. I learned to play this great sport in the mid '90s at Kilborne on good ok' DX plastic. I feel like Rip Van Winkle! New courses, new disc plastics, new makers - wow.

Currently rebuilding my game from the ground up, adding some new plastic to my old bag, and discovering these new courses. Great site and I'd love to meet some of you Charlotte DG folk on the course.

Hope our OP friend here has a fun day today -keep us updated!

I'd play Nevin first and see how you feel. Then I'd pick between RL Smith and Bradford. RL Smith is heavily wooded with tight lines and tough OB. Bradford may be a better contrast to Nevin. It's one of the best maintained courses in Charlotte, moderately wooded and maybe a more relaxed and enjoyable round after you take a beating at Nevin.

Greetings all - I am new to this site, a Charlottean, and a recent re-awakened disc golfer after a 12+ year slumber. I learned to play this great sport in the mid '90s at Kilborne on good ok' DX plastic. I feel like Rip Van Winkle! New courses, new disc plastics, new makers - wow.

Currently rebuilding my game from the ground up, adding some new plastic to my old bag, and discovering these new courses. Great site and I'd love to meet some of you Charlotte DG folk on the course.

Hope our OP friend here has a fun day today -keep us updated!

I took a similar break after originally playing at Reedy and Kilborne. Another huge change since you've left is all of the instructional information on Youtube.

Latest posts