• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over 40 new player - should I enter events in Intermediate or Master?

MillerC

Hello all!

I'm in my mid 40's and have been playing about 8 months. I'm not very good but I am hooked and am determined to play a LOT this year, including some C-tier events. I'm curious if I should join in intermediate or masters class? I realize that this varies a bit from location to location (I'm in the Charlotte, NC area if that matters) but, in general, how does the skill level compare between the two?

I like playing with people that are better than me (and that's easy to accomplish at my skill level!) but I also don't want to be too far off the pace for my card. Does one group typically have a more casual vibe, or are there any similar considerations when making this choice?

Thanks!

In our section of the mid-atlantic i would call the skill level of adv masters and intermediate pretty much a wash. The adv masters will definitely have the more casual vibe (well, we have one exception to that here but hopefully you won't be subjected to him).

I'm in the same position. I went to an event and told the coordinator how long I'd been playing, but didn't know what division I should be in. After a few moments of staring at me, the event coordinator said 'rec'.

Seriously. Unless you're a natural at it, you're probably not better than recreational, after 8 months.

Knowing nothing else, understand, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to be honest.

Being an over 40 myself I would lean towards Am Masters as I find it easier to relate folks my age and not kill myself trying to keep up with some of these big throwing youngsters. :D

Chances are the masters players will be willing to give advice when needed, point out rules proactively and have a lot of fun while being there. Set your expectations a little lower when starting out and just get a feel of tournament pace and proper DG etiquette at tournaments. Explain your situation early on to your card mates and hopefully they will help speed up your learning curve. Good luck!

I would agree to start in the rec division. If you find you are too skilled or the rec division is too casual for your liking move up to intermediate. Then the same criteria applies in intermediate. Around here where I play in the north east advanced masters fits in between intermediate and advanced skill wise.

I was in the same position as you a few years back. One of the reason I disliked Rec is that it felt like I was baby sitting teaching people basic golf etiquette don't walk in front of the furthest lie, don't stand in front of someone sight-lines, and no you can't play the radio on your phone during the event.

I would worry less about playing to other levels in your division than bring the right attitude to the event. People would much rather play with someone who is a few strokes off the pace and a bit green about all of the rules than a sour puss that brings the whole card down.

Can only share personal experience, but I picked up the sport at 50, and played solo for about 4 months before jumping in to the (Cincinnati) local scene with Ice Bowls. I played Recreational division for a year, and got into local leagues and big events (BG Ams). After a year or so, I pretty much shifted to Advanced Grandmasters and some Intermediate, and hovered there for another year. Last year, I transitioned to Pro Grandmasters, with the option of playing Advanced Masters or Intermediate in lower tier events if the course or crowd suited my interests. I've enjoyed the whole journey so far!

I'm in the same position. I went to an event and told the coordinator how long I'd been playing, but didn't know what division I should be in. After a few moments of staring at me, the event coordinator said 'rec'.

Seriously. Unless you're a natural at it, you're probably not better than recreational, after 8 months.

Knowing nothing else, understand, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to be honest.

Oh I understand I should be playing in Rec, I have no illusions about my ability :D

However the Rec division isn't always offered at events around here, and when it is there often aren't enough entries in the division, so people get rolled up into Intermediate.

Thank you all for the opinions!

As a 39 year old geezer, I'm able to play Advanced Masters this year and the couple events that I've played, I've been in that division. I can safely say that being able to play in this division has renewed my interest in playing tournaments again. Around here, Rec is rarely offered and while I was competitive in Intermediate, I was pressured to move up to Advanced where I was not so competitive. Not only was I just donating at tournaments, but the attitude of the play was much more serious.

Being able to play in Adv. Masters puts me in a group of similarly skilled players, who are more laid back and having fun. That being said, one big difference between Advanced Masters and Intermediate, besides the age range, is general tournament experience. The guys in Advanced Masters have all played tournaments before and know the etiquette of tourney golf, in Intermediate its a mixed bag. And because it's the "scrub" division, mistakes are understood and forgiven (usually).

So that being said, I'd recommend playing a few tourneys in Recreational or Intermediate first, just to get the feel of tourney golf. Once you feel you've gotten the protocol down, then move to Advanced Masters and enjoy.

Advanced Masters is typically going to have smaller fields, if that's an issue. Also (at least in my area), the Adv Masters guys tend to "partake" more than any other division I've played in (Rec, Int, Adv)...so if that's not your bag (it's my biggest hangup with playing that division), you may want to tread lightly.

I'd suggest Rec for at least a couple tournaments. I'd also agree with the statement that Int and Adv Masters are kind of a wash, skill-wise.

Hello all!

I'm in my mid 40's and have been playing about 8 months. I'm not very good but I am hooked and am determined to play a LOT this year, including some C-tier events. I'm curious if I should join in intermediate or masters class? I realize that this varies a bit from location to location (I'm in the Charlotte, NC area if that matters) but, in general, how does the skill level compare between the two?

I like playing with people that are better than me (and that's easy to accomplish at my skill level!) but I also don't want to be too far off the pace for my card. Does one group typically have a more casual vibe, or are there any similar considerations when making this choice?

Thanks!

Try Advanced Masters and if you don't like it, then try Intermediate.

I'm a huge fan of playing in your rating's group, so if this is your first tournament(s) I say play rec, see how the tournament pace feels, get used to the rules, etc, etc , get a few rated rounds in and see how you stack up. If you still like playing tournaments (and perhaps have a few wins in the rec division) move up to to where your rating allows you to play. Advanced masters has no ratings cap so regardless how low/high it is you'll always be able to play there. I've played pretty much every field there is including pro & am. (I'm a am grandmaster) and I can safely say form my experience intermediate typically has the most baggers due to there always seems to be unrated players showing up who play lights out. Don't be surprised when you see some of those adv masters playing very good golf, some of those guys will have been playing for 10-20 years. If possible, I'd say skip intermediate and go from rec to the advanced divisions. Good luck!

To me the Adv Masters are way more fun to throw with. Way more relaxed atmosphere and are very welcoming to newer players to tournaments and can answer most of your questions if you have them. I've noticed that the Intermediates are way to serious about trying to win some plastic.

The biggest problem here is that the Adv Masters fields tend to be small at this time. (Changes drastically year to year) Intermediate tends to be fairly large.

I was in the same situation last year and the advice on this board I followed and will now repeat after my first tournament experience is, if you have a chance to play in an age restricted division do it.

Rec and intermediate is such a mixed bag of goof offs, try hards sand baggers, and disrespectful kids that it dilutes out the good people to play with. Probably a bit different experience everywhere but I would say everyone in the Adv Masters and Grandmasters division at that tournament I would absolutely enjoy having a beer with and playing casual rounds. I can't say the same about all of the people that were in INT and maybe 1/2 the people in REC.

BTW I threw as bad as i've thrown since I was brand new the first day, and it was all cool. I finished dead last, but learned a lot, had a great time. I don't know if I would have felt the same about that first day had I been in INT and especially if I were playing REC being so off my game and behind people I know I should be beating. Just a strange mental issue i'm sure but I was way more relaxed in Adv Masters.

Rather than starting your competitive journey at a tournament, you might consider tracking down a local league and trying that out first.

Although likely to be a little less formal than a tourney and only one round long, this would be a good way to get familiar with playing golf under structured conditions. I'm sure there are a variety of league formats in the area and probably someone over at charlottedgc.com could guide you as to a good fit. A doubles event would be nice.

Besides getting a feel for playing on a scorecard with people watching, you will probably be offered help with rules you might not know about and see people throw in ways you never imagined. You'll also get to know a few people, and get feedback on what division to play when you do get yourself into a tournament.

So when that tournament day does arrive, you'll know some faces in the crowd and have a better understanding of what is expected. I would also recommend volunteering at a tournament before playing in one. That is another way to get to know folks (tournament crews are the best!) and to get a feel for the flow of events.

Enjoy the journey.

Joe

My first tournament the TD asked if I wanted to play Masters. Not knowing a thing about divisions, I was intimidated by the name "Masters" & said I should play in the lower division. Years later, I now know better: if given the choice, play with the Masters. The young-ins in AM3 don't usually know squat, so you'll learn more for the elders. Just my 2 pence.

All good advice, and you're choosing between cake and pie. You'll likely enjoy either division, and it comes a bit to your preferences.

Most 40+ players enjoy the company of other older players, especially if you're stuck with them all weekend for a 2-day event.

In the Carolinas there is a good-sized Masters contingent, so division size is rarely a problem. There tend to be some very good players......but also some pretty weak ones, so you're less likely to finish at the bottom. Virtually everyone I've played with has been great and---unlike someone else's experience in another region---since moving to MM1 (and now GM1) 15 years ago, it's been very rare that I've encountered someone "partaking".

Then again, playing MA2 you may have the pleasure of watching some young guns launch big drives, and the even greater pleasure of beating them with a better short game and mental game.

Latest posts