• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand aces?

Adaven

Eagle Member
At my local course the back nine is perfect for overhand shot practice. Whenever I play the course I throw thumbers on probably 4 or 5 holes and can usually get within ten feet of the pin. I have had several bounce and hit underneath the basket, hit the top of the basket and bounced off the side of the basket, but I have never put one in. So here is the question, has anyone aced an overhand shot? If so how did it go in? Also, feel free to share stories where you almost got it, because I have been there and I know how much you want to talk about it.

I thumbed in for my first ace close to when I first started playing using a DX Viper.
The wind was just perfect for it to slide in. You want it to come in at an angle.

I tomahawked one in on a second shot over a river to a peninsula green. I was only trying not to go in the water... the basket was a bonus. I thought making 2 on this hole was impossible. Lucky for me, my buddies saw it and I have proof!

i finally got one to stick in april at a tourney...i try to land to the left of the basket and short(im a lefty throwing mostly tomahawks)..mine was on a shortish tight hole(number 6 at hyzer creek, saratoga, NY) and i was already turning to walk away with a drop in deuce, when i heard it hit metal..it was a no chainer..i throw a monster and it skips/rolls after hitting the ground..

I've never seen it done, but I have a buddy who throws almost exclusively overhand and I've seen him hit chains on a bounce. I'm not sure if it was an overhand shot or not but he texted me the other day that he aced a hole (his first one) on our home course that he typically throws a thumber for.

I've bounced one out of the basket with an overhand. It was not an ace as I drilled a tree very close to the tee, so on my second throw I said screw it and threw the epic for the remainder of ~225 feet. It went mid-air and hit at a 45 degree angle exactly where the post meets the basket, then bounced out backwards. Definitely possible, just gotta find the right angle.

2 times in league by the same guy this spring season! Oh and it was on consecutive weeks!

I hit hole 4 (in long pin position) at Towne Lake in McKinney, Texas with a Thumber. My 150-Flick knifed through the trees and hit the ground right in front of the basket, then it bounced up and over the front of the pan for an ace. I was playing on a card with 6 people, so my disc is signed with all kinds of comments about how discs do NOT fly/bounce like mine did.

I was playing The North Valley Course in Inver Grove MN where I threw my second shot blind. I was just hoping it would stop near the whole. I got a very lucky bounce, dropped from a tree branch right into the basket.

6yji7

Rec tees from hole 3. Keep in mind this was awhile ago. I throw from only long tees there now and still get really close on 3's long tee. Talk about a huge thumber shot

Damn you, I have been so close to aceing that one and hole 1 with a thumber always chains out on me.

i've aced overhand twice- one was a very short (150ish) hole and went in with only a left to right flight pattern, one was somewhat longer and went in more directly downward on the helix aspect of its flight.

I have zero control on overhand shots so if I ever aced a hole it would be absolute luck.

I hit hole 4 (in long pin position) at Towne Lake in McKinney, Texas with a Thumber. My 150-Flick knifed through the trees and hit the ground right in front of the basket, then it bounced up and over the front of the pan for an ace. I was playing on a card with 6 people, so my disc is signed with all kinds of comments about how discs do NOT fly/bounce like mine did.

I received my first Flick in the mail today. After playing a round with it, I noticed it did take a few odd "bounces" straight up from time to time. Interesting, as I've never seen a disc hop like that.