• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul's New Fairway (Anax)

I currently have a Raptor, Anax, Vulture, and Avenger in my bag, and I'm gonna cut it to Vulture/Raptor, unless I fall in love really quick with the Anax. I've thrown mine all of 4 times and haven't really loved it, whereas the Raptor is my FBesque disc, and the Vulture is my OS CD, my Undertaker is my workhorse CD, and my Heat is my US CD. The Avenger is alright, but more Raptor than Vulture. I'll keep working with the Anax, but I don't know if it will kick the Vulture and/or Raptor from my bag.

Discraft lineup in the OS 9-speed slot is crowded . . but it feels like that spot generates much sales

I need to really test all the discs more to decide with ones to throw. . have the Avenger SS, Vulture and Predator now. . still really like the Undertaker but hard to find a slot for it. . .but i Do have a slot for something between the Vulture and the Pred. . maybe the Anax will fill that. . .but the Raptor feels better in the hand

On feel alone I immediate thought: Vulture....then, Avenger. I still think the Avenger felt the best of those 3 though. everyones different so you may have success with it, but. Idk for me it immediately jumped out as "not comfy FH disc"

Decided to throw the flatter, light Anax today at Idlewild. It needs thrown to season in a little, but it is exactly the replacement I wanted for my test flight vulture. They feel and fly the same. Forehand is similar. Most overstable vulture in my bag.

The super domey Anax could be an entirely different beast. I'm not willing to find out yet

The hype for the Vulture has quieted a bit, most likely due to the Anax, but I have noticed McBeth has been using that white sparkle vulture for most straight fairway drives. Especially at DGLO and the EO. Maybe he's slotted it in to the 'beat Anax' spot?

I finally got out to test the Anax in the Field as well as on the course

Field tests: It flew like I had expected. Very close to the #'s. I would agree with them - though if I were to give it flight # and comparing to a Thunderbird that I do feel is 9/5/0/2 the Anax feels to fly a touch faster, similar glide, but a little more fade later in the flight as its gliding out. I would call it 10/5/0/2.5 - but being honest I think the 10/6/0/3 is really fair. That 3 fade is nowhere near a Firebird or a Destroyer. It held on a flat power line very straight, the glide was noticeable but not 'crazy'. The fade depended on the release angle, Flat power throw and the fade seemed more like a solid 2, but on a slight hyzer this will not flip up much at all and fades out fairly aggressive. I feel it would be comparable to a PD or a fairly OS Thunderbird or an OS Vulture.

On the course. Well, first throw with it I hit the pin...so whatever that means haha, it flew nice and as expected. I threw it on a longer 'bomber' hole mainly to see what it could do....i gave it almost all I had and it held nice and straight...nice hold on the glide...and reliable fade without it fading out TOO much, and it was in a great position only 15-25 ft shorter of my MAx D drive that I threw first. SO distance-wise I feel speed 10 is accurate, this flew nice and far especially when given some height. I think this disc will be GREAT for cycling especially in ESP - I can see this wearing into a -1/2 kinda flight after extensive use and even a turnover driver after LONG use. So I feel its a nice stable-OS control driver that many people can use and enjoy.

Last edited:
I don't know how Vultures season, but if the Anax maintains it's HSS, while losing it's LSF, it will be awesome.

I don't know how Vultures season, but if the Anax maintains it's HSS, while losing it's LSF, it will be awesome.

I have a vulture that got REAL flippy on my to the point of I couldn't believe it. It was ESP but it was always pretty stable then one day BAM it flipped and just rode forever. I think the Anax is going to maintain it a lot...the wider diameter and overall just LOCK on the line give me hope it wouldn't beat that quick....but yes, time will tell.

I guess losing that LSF will be the key. I took out a new Anax and it was definitely more beefy than I was looking for. Ny impression so far is that is has a pretty dumpy fade (mine is a little on the domey side). I kinda prefer a Tsunami or fresh champ Thunderbird at this point, and a Big Z Vulture will stay in the bag.

Small data set for both, but the Anax and Cryztal Vulture that I've thrown are nearly identical in flight.

I have an early release Glow Z Vulture and a few of the ESP Anax'sssssss (haha plural sounds weird)

They flew very similar but the Anax did show a lil more glide and overall a deeper fade at the end. But VERY close, compared to my other ESP Vultures...well 2 of them were flippier than the anax and 1 is very similar in stability but a lil less glide. Again marginal differences.

Anyone throw both a flatish and domey Anax to compare flight differences?

Good question, I'm curious of this as well. All of my protos have the same dome but its slight dome and not too much (not poppy or annoying). They all flew about the same which was nice but yeah I wonder what a Flat topped one would be like. And would love to see this in Z plastic (especially Glow Z ;) So far I am really liking this disc and has gotten me some good throws that lead to birdies. I think a slightly fast, slightly glidier, slightly more fade Thunderbird is the easiest way to describe it.

My flattish one was described in an earlier post. My super pop top dome hasn't been thrown yet. Brand new baby has arrived. I will try to compare as soon as I can

So picked up 3 different colors. All feel the same. Similar dome on all of them. Rim feels like predator/vulture rim. This is the beat predator the vulture wanted to be. You could potentially have pred, anax, and vulture in your bag and not need to cycle discs.

Ive thrown mine a couple times, flies pretty similar to a new S-PD. Pretty straight, but can get some turn and nice fade on it.

So is this just an Old Mold Pred/Tsunami?

Yeah it seems only the Luna Putter so far from the Paul McBeth line was made on it's own by tweaking the Roach mold to make a new mold for the Luna. All these others molds are form old molds that either did not make production in case of the Kong/Zeus or are old molds resurrected from Discraft/DGA like the Anax being an old mold resurrected as best it can be.

Latest posts