• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeve: foot fault run ups

Fail. Show me in the rulebook.
It's common sense, for most people.
See below. :wall:
He is just saying that all you have to do is have some place of your foot on the line that goes back through the center of the marker. It doesn't matter where it is on your foot that is on the line, essentially making the space you have to land in twice the width of your foot.

Its a pet peeve cause it doesnt really matter it just irritates the blood pressure out of me

I do think its so widely disregarded that it is akin to traveling and carrying in the NBA during the 90s and mid 2000s.....that blatant disregard for the rules turned the game into a joke and people had to adapt by teaching high school players to cheat to keep up...I coached during the era....it was a joke

I think the abuse of many of the run up rule has made the game a joke as we never enforce it...and therefore many push the envelope of what is allowed

If you're actually conscious of your lie and your plant foot field drives are more difficult.

Call it and practice it yourself.

I usually am pretty chill about it but i think that's because i don't do it and the people i play with rarely do it as well.

why bother perfecting it if it is not ever called?
In case somebody does. A while back I seriously thought that I had no problem with this rule and that I was hitting my mark every time. Somebody called it on me in a monthly and I thought they were crazy. I started taking vids in the field and, sure enough, I was off. Not too far off but far enough to get called on legitimately.

In case somebody does. A while back I seriously thought that I had no problem with this rule and that I was hitting my mark every time. Somebody called it on me in a monthly and I thought they were crazy. I started taking vids in the field and, sure enough, I was off. Not too far off but far enough to get called on legitimately.
I heard you were pretty far off in general regardless of any foot fault.

Also in open field unless you need the previously thrown disc don't mark it. If nothing else it gives the illusion of a larger foot landing zone.

If you're trying to hide your foot faults, go with the smallest legal mini, preferably in a grass or camo color. Less cynically, it's safer to mark -- I've seen people wipe out when they step on the previously thrown disc during the plant.

1 : making stand and deliver mandatory would punish all those who can actualy set their plant foot precisely.

the current system punishes those who plant accurately because they have the added burden of making a precision run up (it's not as easy as people seem to think). It's the chronic footfaulters who benefit most from the current system.

the current system punishes those who plant accurately because they have the added burden of making a precision run up (it's not as easy as people seem to think). It's the chronic footfaulters who benefit most from the current system.

Chronic footfaulters profit from people letting them get away with it. There are clear rules and the guys who play with chronic footfaulters have the means to stop them from doing it unless they want to keep rethrowing the same shot over and over.

It's all there. People just have to apply it.

IMO its like this : as long as you dont start calling them on it, it just does not bother you enugh. For whatever reason.

Also, I don't buy the "it doesn't matter on an open hole" concept. There is an advantage of not even attempting to hit your plant foot mark. You're breaking a rule and should be reprimanded.

This. It completely removes an aspect of the throw that I have to invest at least some of my concentration on.

Just to make a 'better analogy' to the MTL vs. Norcal discussion...

MTLs ball golf analogy of (I'm paraphrasing here) 'the swing's the same whether on the tee or in the fairway' can be countered by:

In bg on the tee one can place their tee / ball anywhere in the teeing area (akin to dg's run up) where as their next shot - from the fairway - must be 'where it lay' (akin to dg's concept of S&D).

In this manner, both sports could / should follow the "you have 1 chance to rip it from where you start, 1 shot that should be controlled, and 1 putt" sort of thing. This then facilitates the spread of athletic abilities over the total range (raw power, intermediate, and delicate touch), instead of the raw power, raw power, and a raw power putt. :( which is what we have now (with no S&D and a basket that catches 100mph fastballs.

Karl

Im sorry but ball golfers are not throwing the ball, so you cant make that comparison here to dg. We dont have a metal club to hit an object with, so we need a run up.

Im sorry but ball golfers are not throwing the ball, so you cant make that comparison here to dg. We dont have a metal club to hit an object with, so we need a run up.

You're permitted to do your run up, just make sure and follow the rules when you do it.

instead of the raw power, raw power, and a raw power putt. :( which is what we have now (with no S&D and a basket that catches 100mph fastballs.

Karl

I dont know who you are playing with, but a raw power upshot from 120 feet can go terribly wrong. And a raw power putt can give you quite easily a longer re-putt than you had originaly.

I am all for raw power anywhere :D Makes it easier to beat the people I play with.

I can be pretty tough to exactly hit your mark on looooong drives, but I would say my margin of error is only about 2-3 inches max. If someone called me on that (let alone actually see it), I would be upset and likely give them some shizzz about it but it's fair. Things like that should be incorporated into practice. When I throw for distance out in a field, I usually make sure that I am hitting a mark.
I have seen many times where people seem to intentionally use it to their advantage and miss their mark without a care in the world. Sure, I would call someone on it: but I likely wouldn't if it seemed to me that they were at least trying to hit it.

But you can make that comparison.

Don't think of it in body movement/run up, but in swing.

Golf:

Tee shot -Nice and perfect, let that baby rip.

2 shot - did you end up in fairway, or rough, or a bunker?

If in the fairway, you should have a nice lie to get a full club on, if situation dictates.

If in the ****, you have a compromised shot.

Disc Golf:

Tee shot -Nice and perfect, let that baby rip.

2 shot - did you end up in fairway, or rough?

If in the fairway, you should have a nice lie to get a run up, if situation dictates.

If in the ****, you have a compromised shot.

I can be pretty tough to exactly hit your mark on looooong drives, but I would say my margin of error is only about 2-3 inches max. If someone called me on that (let alone actually see it), I would be upset and likely give them some shizzz about it but it's fair. Things like that should be incorporated into practice. When I throw for distance out in a field, I usually make sure that I am hitting a mark.
I have seen many times where people seem to intentionally use it to their advantage and miss their mark without a care in the world. Sure, I would call someone on it: but I likely wouldn't if it seemed to me that they were at least trying to hit it.

So you would break the rule, but be mad and harass the person that pointed it out? Seems smart.

I have nothing new to add (concentrating on making sure you hit your mark makes the shot more difficult), but I thought I'd share the funniest thing I've seen in a tournament. Guy takes a big run up, plant foot lands on top of marked disc, slips and falls. He gets called for a stance violation then proceeds to adamently argue he slipped on the wet grass not his marker. The best part is that his marked disc was covered in mudd from the bottom of his shoe where his foot slid forward.

I would agree on extending the area behind the marker to say 22 inches. For safety reasons.