• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeves

OK, here's what really irks me:

People that you help look for their lost discs, but they shy away from helping you look for yours.

Which brings me to my biggest pet peeve. People that won't play because it's "too cold" or "too dark" or "too rainy" or "too snowy" put on the proper clothing, grab an umbrella, tape a light to your disc and get out there and play.

Of all of those, only "too dark" is the one that keeps me from throwing. I do enjoy the occasional glow round, but it's not my favorite thing in the world.

I like glow a lot when it's a local familiar course. I don't like playing new courses where I haven't seen the scenery or the lines in the dark.

I like glow a lot when it's a local familiar course. I don't like playing new courses where I haven't seen the scenery or the lines in the dark.

Seems reasonable. We play a lot of different courses the vast majority of which I know very well.

That seems like it would be a hassle to drag around the course.

If you mean just in the backyard, I've got that covered. I've got over a week of vacation to burn up before the end of the year (plus some **coughcough** sick days), so I'll find some way to get out. It's just that I already miss getting in a quick 9 or 18 after work. :(

Oops, I misread your post and thought you said "how am I supposed to do anymore ... putting in the backyard" . My brain skipped over a word.

-LITTERBUGS! I DONT LIKE LITTERBUGS. THROW YOUR TRASH AWAY, IF THERE IS NOT A TRASHCAN IN SIGHT STICK IT IN YOUR BAG AND THROW IT AWAY LATER. I don't like seeing cigg butts ON TEEPADS. I don't like seeing your beer bottles all over the course!!

one more...

- I'm a junior girl. There are not many junior girls around Oklahoma. SO, at minis I get to play with the REC MEN. I don't mind. I don't mind the cussing, loud obnoxious outbursts, I don't care if you smoke pot, or, that most of them are typically drunk during every round every week. BUT, I can throw 300ft. (I really can, My putt sucks and my approach sucks so it evens out.) A lot of them can throw 280, 290. WHAT I DO NOT LIKE is when they say that I'm out even though I am obviously 15ft-20ft ahead of them. I don't know why that bothers me...It shouldn't... but it does. I've worked very hard to work my way up to being able to throw over 300ft. I mean, every single day after school I go out to the fields and just throw. (If I spent as much time on my drive as I did my putt, I could maybe be shooting in the 50s. I'm stuck in the low 60s right now. :( lol) ANYWAYS, It bugs me. They won't except the fact that a 14y/o can out throw them. I typically just go ahead and throw without saying a word about it. I dunno, I guess they are just very proud of themselves.
BUT GOSH DANGIT I LOVE THIS SPORT!

:clap: :clap: GO LEFTIES!

Emily, welcome to the sport and the site! We need more juniors getting addicted. Sounds like you aren't too intimidated by the "club" either. That's great. Being from the same area, I can understand exactly what you are saying. Are you in the metro area? Just wondering which minis you referred to (OKCDGA or SoonerDG). Keep showing up those guys off the tee. I'm sure you'll get your approaches and putts inline to put a beat down on those guys soon. Keep playing and practicing. Maybe I'll see you on the course one day.

I played a round with a guy and his 10 year old kid once. The 10 year old aced and consistently threw 300-310'. I learned then and there to never judge by age.

Wait until you putting comes around (it will). You'll be beating those guys by 8.

we are south of Chickasha but my dad and I played the mustang minis every week from may to now lol. One week we played the dolese mini. and I did not mean to sound rude, the recs are awesome and I've learned a lot from them. We have been playing noble a lot as far as soonerdg goes. (not the minis because we were not sure what time and day they were) We are thinking about moving to Purcell. And I think someone in Purcell is working on getting a course installed at Purcell lake.

My biggest pet peeve in competition is players who whine and complain when hey aren't throwing well. Maybe it's just me but I always try to maintain a certain amount of dignity when competing. It covers a number of things but one of the biggest for me is to take your lumps when you aren't making the shots.

We all wanna play well, we all want to execute shots and hit putts and score birdies. It should go without saying. It's completely natural to be disappointed or pissed off if you screw up. Even expressing this somewhat is not the end of the world and completely natural. It's where players have seemingly no ability to hold back from showing their anger or disappointment that I think they are not competing with dignity, and tend to lose respect for them.

Relatedly I have been finding more and more lately that my reaction to not making a shot makes a huge difference on how I proceed. I've been getting better and better at just making a note about what went wrong, and moving on. It really does help.

"Disc sports"

If you can drink and smoke while playing then it's not a sport. Sorry, DGers. I know there was a thread on this recently. I consider disc golf to be a game of skill. You don't need to train or be in great physical shape to play disc golf. It's as much of a sport as croquet or darts.

"Disc sports"

If you can drink and smoke while playing then it's not a sport. Sorry, DGers. I know there was a thread on this recently. I consider disc golf to be a game of skill.

I disagree....a little. Like most games/sports, there's still an element of luck that goes with it.

You don't need to train or be in great physical shape to play disc golf.

Train, no; practice, obviously.

It's as much of a sport as croquet or darts.

....or golf.

I disagree....a little. Like most games/sports, there's still an element of luck that goes with it.

Train, no; practice, obviously.

....or golf.
There's an element of luck that goes with everything...? Not sure what you're saying there.

I can't say much about ball golf but it surely is one of the hardest games to play. I guess it's all relative, though. I mean, curling is an Olympic event and it's one of the most inane things ever.

I really don't agree when people say that Poker or Chess are sports. Table games are not athletic beyond sitting on your duff! :p

"Disc sports"

If you can drink and smoke while playing then it's not a sport. Sorry, DGers. I know there was a thread on this recently. I consider disc golf to be a game of skill. You don't need to train or be in great physical shape to play disc golf. It's as much of a sport as croquet or darts.

There are many athletes who, if it were allowed, would smoke and drink while playing major sports. And don't forget it's not allowed at the highest level of disc golf either.

"Disc sports"

Good to know no one ever drank beer in a baseball dugout before. (Not that I disagree with your point, just your logic)

I doubt I've ever played a sport where someone hasn't drank or smoke. Including football. (The backyard variety)

"Disc sports"

So baseball isn't a sport because you don't have to be in great physical shape to pitch or dh?

There are many athletes who, if it were allowed, would smoke and drink while playing major sports. And don't forget it's not allowed at the highest level of disc golf either.

I went to a practice day for the PGA Masters tour; definitely a bunch of smoking (no, not that kind) and drinking going on.

Last edited:
Dude, you have got to be kidding. Did those athletes personally say they want to smoke and drink while playing? Besides baseball I cannot think of one real "sport" to which you are referring. You cannot realistically drink or smoke while playing a game like basketball, football, hockey, soccer, or any other game where you continuously have to move. You can try but I'm pretty sure you'll get sick.

Yea, it's "not allowed"... when I was at the Hambrick Memorial this year the first thing we smelled was weed while we were walking through the course. It may not be allowed but I'm sure it's pretty lax. But really, what boxers are smoking while they fight? Does not compute.

edit- no, baseball is not a sport because you can be fat and drink in the dugout and chew tobacco. David Wells may be a great pitcher but he is not athletic beyond throwing a ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts