• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Sales?

Too early to say. They're still a "fad" here. Lots of people bought some, and are throwing them, but may or may not keep them in the bag.

That's how I would put it for my area, "fad" same status as MVP. Latitude and Westside have graduated from fad status to lightly used. Innova and Discraft still dominate though :thmbup:

At the LCO in Spokane in May, I saw a lot of Prodigy drivers and mids. I was given a P4 but have already traded it for some discs I'm more familiar with.
Amongst the rank-and-file players and chuckers here in Boise, I see very little of it.

But I also haven't been in a DG store since May, either.

I travel a lot for work in the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast and have seen a lot of Prodigy and Latitude over the past 8 months. More people I know that like to try the latest discs are throwing Prodigy from what I have seen but I have seen some established players throwing the Prodigy drivers. I see lots of players from newbies to experienced throwing Latitude drivers and mids but not as many putters. I think the Spike and Sinus are two of the best putters on the market.

Yet to see somebody throw any on a course. Seen them for sale at tourny's and maybe even in a local shop that sells a variety of different brands, but so far no no chuckers.

I saw quite a bit of Prodigy discs being used at the last tourney I played. Also saw a lot more Westside, Latitude and DD than I expected. The Nashville area does not seem as loyal to the Innova/Discraft brands. Personally, I think the only Innova discs I carry are Teebirds, a Tern and a Dominator. Love the Swedish plastic, but haven't tried Prodigy.

My guess is there is a lot of Prodigy use in the area because Schusterick is the most recognizable pro living around here.

What I see being thrown is being thrown poorly. For whatever that's worth. HA!

Talked to my friend who owns a disc golf store and asked him how they were selling. He told me very slow. I have an f7 and it sucks imho. I had one that was flippy as hell and another stable as a teebird.

I really like the prodigy stuff, plastic is great and they have some pretty solid molds. I may be taking out the buzzz and shark3 out of my bag for some M2's in 300s and 400s plastic.

My d1 has been working out pretty well for me too... May knock the xcal out, but who knows. I like the d2, but the one I have almost behaves like a slightly beat star destroyer. I'm pretty sure my destroyers will be staying in the bag for a while.

I could probably use their fairways, but I really like my teebirds.. I am curious to see what the f4 and f5 will be like.

Last edited:
Everyone I've talked to here in KY about them all say the same thing, that they didn't live up to the hype. Most have tried them but they quickly made their way to the PIAS used shelf.

In my hometown of Missoula, MT they seem to be selling briskly. They have them at the local sporting goods store, as well as the local shop. I saw/see quite a bit being thrown there.

In Colorado, it's very prevalent in the stores but I actually don't see many people except me and my group throwing it.

And here in Korea, no one throws Prodigy. A few expats and military personnel have it sent to them, but I don't even know if Prodigy has thought about International distribution yet, much less set up a network for it.

I wouldn't say Prodigy is hurting...they are probably selling more than enough to make a profit.

I forgot to add, but the liquor store near my local course has been stocking up on a pretty decent amount of prodigy this summer and its definitely selling.

one of the bigger retailers in my area has stocked a handful of prodigy discs over the summer. i really don't see them moving at all. i think some of the PA1's and PA4's have been there all season. They sold one D1 from what I can tell. And they don't even stock the mids which are (IMO) the best discs prodigy has right now.

our one 'local shop' doesn't carry them yet (which is a shame, i think they would sell from that store) and our terrible PIAS has absolutely nothing.

i have yet to see somebody out on our local courses throwing prodigy outside of my group.

it seems their market penetration hasn't reached up here yet. i'm guessing its much better in the MSP metro area with GGGT and Cales shop in st. paul.

Last edited:
I see quite a bit of Prodigy stuff here in Indy. I see some MVP but not a lot. The thing I've really noticed becoming popular is the Judge... seems like every other player on my cards these days is putting with those.

I'm friends with a disc shop owner & I asked him what companies where selling the best & this is the order her gave me
1 Innova
2 Disc raft
3 Lat/DD/Westside
4 Prodigy
5 MVP
He told me Prodigy is gaining popularity in my area & when he first introduced Prodigy discs to his shop MVP discs were more popular until recently. He said he still sells 2x more Lat (mostly Judges) than he does Prodigy. I personally see a lot of people in tourneys & leagues throwing the PA4, D1 & D4 more than anything else. Not knocking Prodigy but I wont be purchasing anything made by Prodigy anymore. I bought a D1 & D3 (both max weight) & the D1 was more flippy than my D3...say what you want about Innova but they aren't that inconsistent.

M4 amazing disc.

I agree with this. I bought one at a PIAS that appeared to have never been thrown. It's my "go to" accuracy mid range disc.

I have a D1 and F7 that I don't think I will grow to like.

As for others... I've seen one other guy in the DFW area that throws a D1 "sometimes". I just came back from Odessa and Lubbock and didn't see anyone with them out there. Small sample though.

I'm friends with a disc shop owner & I asked him what companies where selling the best & this is the order her gave me
1 Innova
2 Disc raft
3 Lat/DD/Westside
4 Prodigy
5 MVP
He told me Prodigy is gaining popularity in my area & when he first introduced Prodigy discs to his shop MVP discs were more popular until recently. He said he still sells 2x more Lat (mostly Judges) than he does Prodigy. I personally see a lot of people in tourneys & leagues throwing the PA4, D1 & D4 more than anything else. Not knocking Prodigy but I wont be purchasing anything made by Prodigy anymore. I bought a D1 & D3 (both max weight) & the D1 was more flippy than my D3...say what you want about Innova but they aren't that inconsistent.

Well i think they had some issues with the protos and being labeled properly. Ive seen a handful of the proto drivers labeled incorrectly... and after all they are protos. The first runs and regular production runs all seem to be fine in my experience. All 3 of my D4's are first run or production and they all fly the same. My D1 flies like it should and the same goes for my D2. Id say prodigy is here to stay. The xcal might even get knocked out of the bag soon.

Latest posts