• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Puffy Rimmed Wizards and Magics?

Gateway is taking notes from innova lol

Something gets messed up and put out on shelves. Put a name on it and a t like its a new thing.

i dont use wizards to drive with anymore, because i cant get a clean release with a bead.
i wonder if this would help that at all?

slippery slope, mate. one day you're gonna wake up to find your stash empty . . . then the shakes start and you start jonesin' and going on DGCR asking everyone if they have a puffy-rimmed wizard . . .

slippery slope, mate. one day you're gonna wake up to find your stash empty . . . then the shakes start and you start jonesin' and going on DGCR asking everyone if they have a puffy-rimmed wizard . . .

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif.pagespeed.ce.e2S3muPZhq.gif

Something gets messed up and put out on shelves. Put a name on it and a t like its a new thing.
Exactly. I'm surprised anybody buys these; you can't grip them. They feel like Holy Hell in a Handbasket when you try to grip them. Slap another half-baked "they go farther becasue" BS claim on them and sell them. You guys have fun with them!

They have made these before, but on accident I'm assuming (it's gateway, after all) but props to them for finding a way to reproduce it.

Years ago when I threw magics, I had a few of these. They all tended to be a little more overstable than normal. If I ventured a guess it was because when it 'sinks in' it also pulls the wing to a more convex position. I was not impressed, since they weren't as neutral as I wanted magics to be.

Tried some putting practice with the puffy wizards yesterday. Felt like I was wearing gloves trying to grip them. Made for seriously inconsistent releases. Might be a different story for drives, (I use a fan grip, with just the pads of my ring and pink fingers over the rim, middle and index fingers on the plate) but I did not care for them at all for putting.

Last edited:

good point, what was i thinking :doh:

I've got a couple 'puffy' Magics from a few years back. ...nice glide, velvetty ss plastic, but just a funky feel in the hand.

It's my grip, Magics are fantastic.

Eh, sorta. My buddy specifically called/ordered a set of these. They do seem to fly more OS than other Magics and a little less glide. The material seems to be always be a chalky SSS (black, grey, maroon). No chunking, will take a beating.

Last time he called in an order, he described over the phone the rim shape. I think Dave is just trying to make ordering/describing easier with this name. From what I heard, these can be replicated (something about cooling times/temps) and so this shouldn't be seen entirely as a fluke batch. I think the first one my buddy got was at least a few years old, so this is definitely not something new. Also I dont think there were any markups.

As for the rim, well its like the minus rim (vs plus rim). I do like the feel, but thats a personal preference.

"This causes the disc to glide more because air is trapped in the top portion of the convex where it meets the flight plate."

Armchair physicists, lulz

Well, at least the plastic blend on these guys feels AMAZING. Chalky, grippy, just nice. I'm hoping the bulge doesn't affect a drive, because it's be a shame to not throw them.