• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf Serpent: Stable P&A

We do have little write up's on the plastic blends over on our website reptiliandiscgolf.com

I plan to do a full write up page though in the near future with some excerpts from full reviews posted by members. The Serpent flies incredibly straight in Fossil plastic. The Chalk RFF Serp seems to have more fade at the end of its flight but is still very straight in overall stability.

Dave told me that he is hanging our mold today and running Fossil and Tar Pit Serps! Hopefully I can get those live on our website in the very near future for your purchasing pleasure. I promise you that the Fossil Serp is one of the best overall PnA discs you can try in this game. They're beadless yet retain a lot of HSS while having a very subdued LSS.

Tarpit Serpent's you say? Just when I thought I was done spending money on putters. Damn you Jamie, damn you I say.

First Run Fossil & Chalk RFF Serpents are live over at reptiliandiscgolf.com for your viewing pleasure.

This batch of Fossil turned out even better than our previous runs. It retained all of the rigidity of the proto batches while developing an even more velvety sheen. My favorite quality of Fossil is how it develops its unique velvety suface complexion. These Serps feature that right out of the box.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 41
First Run Fossil & Chalk RFF Serpents are live over at reptiliandiscgolf.com for your viewing pleasure.

This batch of Fossil turned out even better than our previous runs. It retained all of the rigidity of the proto batches while developing an even more velvety sheen. My favorite quality of Fossil is how it develops its unique velvety suface complexion. These Serps feature that right out of the box.

What weights are available for the new Serpents? Did you use different stamps like you did for the proto runs or does the picture on RDG represent exactly what you are selling? Thanks!

What weights are available for the new Serpents? Did you use different stamps like you did for the proto runs or does the picture on RDG represent exactly what you are selling? Thanks!

These first runs all feature our killer new First Run Serpent stamp :) A variety of foil colors of course.
We did some in the 168ish range but most settle in that 172-175g range

As promised, ordered a couple fossil Serpents. Now we'll see if these can really replace my proto PA4 for those long, floaty anhyzer shots. :)

TR3 Limited Review

Category: Stable Putter (Non-Premium Plastic)
Product: Reptilian Disc Golf Serpent, Chalky RFF Plastic

Additional thoughts/info:
• This disc, against, goes to show me that I need to stop having presumptions about "what I think I will do with this disc." I was proven wrong on both accounts.
• The flight plate is exceeding thin, but I had no punctures or tears.
• RFF chalky is the kind of feeling you wish every putter would have, it's incredible.
• Made in two different plastic types; Chalky RFF and Fossil.

Overall Grade: C++
Overall Value: B+
Closest Competitor, in style; Gateway Magic
Closest Competitor, in price range; Gateway Magic

Reasoning;

I went into this testing thinking "I'm going to putt OK with this disc, and I'm going to suck at driving/approaching with this disc." My initial thoughts were the nose wasn't something I'd be comfortable with, and I was right. This disc does not suit me well for putting, but I was blown away how well I could drive and approach with this disc. For short FH approach shots, it has a nice glide, and a slight fade at the end, but don't even think about throwing it for a FH drive unless you are playing for an anny line. This disc wasn't built for that purpose.

So while I had decent expectations for a "putting putter", this did not work out for me, and while I had low hopes for an approach discs, I was amazed at how well it outperformed my judges AND the Scale from RDG. If I could give this disc two grades, it would be C- for putting, and A+ for approaches within 100-150 feet. Nice utility disc, especially on days with no wind. I just can't give this disc a "B" due to my own personal inefficiency at the basket.

Final Thoughts, and constructive criticism

1. No significant chunks or nicks, much less than anticipated.
2. Side note; not the best choice for cut rollers!
3. The thumbtrac might get in your way if you're used to placement being elsewhere on the disc. For FH shots though, it's pretty spot-on for where you need to be situated.
4. While it has a nice line off the tee, I wasn't that consistent with it. However, it doesn't take ADV/PRO level power to get that nice hyzer-flip that is so sought after. Definitely well-suited for a player that can drive a putter 200-250 feet.

*please note that the video is uploading right now, please give it a little time to go to space and come back*

Ordered 2 fossil serpents and 2 fossil scales from marshall street today. I've been reading up on their respective threads, pretty pumped about 'em. I have a good stack of wizards and have been throwing chiefs currently. I'm hoping the scales will be some OS beasts for me. More excited about getting the serpents though. I've liked the feel of magics but never found any with plastic that suited me. Here's hoping fossil does the trick. Will update with reviews next week hopefully.

Anyone on the boards throwing the Serpent?

This disc has not received neither as much fanfare as the Scale but it has sold really well for us.
The RDG putter top was designed to create the Scale but an experiment with the Magic wing resulted in the incredibly straight flying Serpent.

I've received a ton of messages from golfers telling me that they just missed an ace with the Serp. It seems to be one of the more reliable beadless driving putters available because it features an understable bottom but a very reliable, OS top.

If you want a disc that can fill the role of your go to straight PnA off the tee without possessing a ton of fade....check out a Fossil Serp. It's almost as if we were able to mold up Proto PA4's in old school KC plastic, WITH a thumb contour!

I've been very interested in trying one, but I throw a best wizard for this shot and a magic for more understable shots. Would love to try one eventually if I lose my seasoned wizard.

Just bought two scales and I'm loving them!

I've been very interested in trying one, but I throw a best wizard for this shot and a magic for more understable shots. Would love to try one eventually if I lose my seasoned wizard.

Just bought two scales and I'm loving them!

The difference between a Serp and a beat Wizard is the glide.
A beat Wiz will glide for days while the OS top that we have on the Serp really mutes the glide and makes it a little easier to range.

The Scale is solidly in my bag as an OS compliment to the Wizard, but I couldn't really find a place for the Serpent. I don't seem to get along with beadless putters on full throws. I also like how my Wizards glide, so I wasn't looking for a glideless replacement. But I can see how someone might want that.

The Scale is solidly in my bag as an OS compliment to the Wizard, but I couldn't really find a place for the Serpent. I don't seem to get along with beadless putters on full throws. I also like how my Wizards glide, so I wasn't looking for a glideless replacement. But I can see how someone might want that.

I would agree. Its a weird disc...

I have found that personally, I bag one as a putting putter. But I don't throw them. I'm a Scale/Envy kind of guy.

That said, I swear I get a message once a week from someone that is smashing chains with their Serp. It is a great driving putter if you don't have the arm to get the Scale moving.

I hate Reptilitan Disc golf. I HATE them....because I HAD my bag setup perfectly...then i tried a Scale, and its not a staple in my bag. Now your telling me you took a Scale and a Pa4 and made babies? I hate you so much......how do I get one?

jokes of course, I love the scale and gonna have to try the Serpent. You guys rock, please keep it up, these putters rule.

I hate Reptilitan Disc golf. I HATE them....because I HAD my bag setup perfectly...then i tried a Scale, and its not a staple in my bag. Now your telling me you took a Scale and a Pa4 and made babies? I hate you so much......how do I get one?

jokes of course, I love the scale and gonna have to try the Serpent. You guys rock, please keep it up, these putters rule.

That is exactly what I am saying :D

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 41
I meant to say it IS a staple in my bag now...and I just ordered a Serpent. These are gonna be my $ approach putters. I will likely still putt with Pa3 and Pa4 for US shots. But I dig the thumbtrack and plastic of RDG. cool stuff

I replaced the proto PA4 in my bag with a Serpent. I use it for RHBH anny shots where I have a high enough ceiling and have a dogleg to the right out to about 325 feet. The production PA4 I got was more understable than my proto so it didn't have enough stability to hold that long anny line (it would just keep turning and crash to the ground instead of turning into the anny and then holding the line). The Serpent performs this duty for me perfectly just like my proto PA4, and unlike the PA4 it will be a lot easier to replace should I lose it. I got 2 drop-in birdies with it on anny lines at Buxton Woods just last weekend (and 1 more that I should have gotten but missed the putt). Great disc.

I replaced the proto PA4 in my bag with a Serpent. I use it for RHBH anny shots where I have a high enough ceiling and have a dogleg to the right out to about 325 feet. The production PA4 I got was more understable than my proto so it didn't have enough stability to hold that long anny line (it would just keep turning and crash to the ground instead of turning into the anny and then holding the line). The Serpent performs this duty for me perfectly just like my proto PA4, and unlike the PA4 it will be a lot easier to replace should I lose it. I got 2 drop-in birdies with it on anny lines at Buxton Woods just last weekend (and 1 more that I should have gotten but missed the putt). Great disc.

Bingo.
This disc really excels on those lines.