• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculous Photog @ GBO

You don't have to be in the field of play to be considered in the way.

I know I can't believe they have spectators right next to the basketball court during games.

They could potentially distract the players and/or get in the way.

Who allows such things?

She seems to be at a lot of the tournaments which makes me wonder....how many pictures do the pros need of themselves?

That's a video guy, that's different ;)

LOL heck yeah it is. I've done both video and still and video is WAY more of a PITA. If you pack right, with still photography you can maneuver ok. I used a pro-video setup once and there is no running anywhere with that gear and attached cable. I had to have a grip follow me around coiling and uncoiling. I tried the wireless setup and it really wasn't much better other than not having the kid follow me around. With video you're holding that daggum camera ALL THE TIME because you never know when the producer is going to start screaming over the headset for a shot. With still photography you're kind of your own producer and set the camera down and give your arms a break now and then.

Most pros love her work from what I see, and if they really wanted to they could just tell her to move if it bothered them. Kinda like the whole getting mad at someone standing still behind the basket while you're putting. If you miss and didn't ask them to move it's your fault not theirs. They're professionals, trust me if it bothered them they'd let it be known.

Yeah she also is in a relationship with Nate Perkins and tours with most of these people. I think most of them are plenty comfortable with her taking the pictures. They understand its her passion/job just as much as throwing the disc is theirs.

She seems to be at a lot of the tournaments which makes me wonder....how many pictures do the pros need of themselves?

The PDGA and DGPT, as well as manufacturers, use fresh photos for articles, social media, and other advertising. The more, the better.

Yeah she also is in a relationship with Nate Perkins and tours with most of these people. I think most of them are plenty comfortable with her taking the pictures. They understand its her passion/job just as much as throwing the disc is theirs.

I've never looked at a bunch of filthy frolfers and thought Man, I'd love to travel around and take up close photos of these guys.

Good for her. Doing the jobs Americans don't want.

Lying down 30-40ft in directly in front of the player off the tee, several photogs directly in front of players, etc, etc. Totally unacceptable, un-professional, etc, etc.

Buy a frickin 2.8f, 200m zoom lens would ya?
Um. Let's think about that a bit.
You are a professional, and competition happens to be your best chance to market yourself, and grow the sport you are also probably trying to earn a living from.
Also. Really good action photography doesn't come from being far away. It comes from being close enough that something can happen, like say a disc can hit you, or the competitor can run into you. But you are able to capture it in detail.
Being far away won't get that kind of access.

It's not how many they need of themselves, it's a). Providing event coverage b). Creating sponsor content and c). Taking as many shots as humanly possible to hopefully get a handful of good ones. You don't honestly think every time the camera goes *click* a masterpiece is born, do you? ;)

It's not how many they need of themselves, it's a). Providing event coverage b). Creating sponsor content and c). Taking as many shots as humanly possible to hopefully get a handful of good ones. You don't honestly think every time the camera goes *click* a masterpiece is born, do you? ;)

I think I should have put a ;) in there or something. I was just joking

I admit it wasn't a good joke... :p

I don't know if you guys know many photographers but they're a special breed. Any photog that considers themselves a pro will automatically try to get themselves into the craziest place people will let them go. Dangerous spot? Must be a great shot then! It's all about the impossible shot because a classically composed photo can be immortal and every obsessive photog would gladly lose an arm getting it. They don't give a **** their subject is bothered unless it impacts the shot, and athletes like having great shots taken of them too so most will gladly deal.

I've been in several pro photo shoots for skiing and it's reeeeeeeeally exciting. Annoying to stand there while they dial their filters or whatever on a powder day but it's ALWAYS worth the inconvenience to get a nasty shot of dropping a cliff etc.

Believe me if the pros had an issue they'd say so. They're probably more likely to see her and be like "oh damn that's gonna be a cool shot!" Than be bothered by her being there. If she's willing to put herself in danger to get a sweet shot of you that's a legit team member right there.
That does seem to be one of the first rules of good photography. Go towards the danger. Go towards where you risk thousands of dollars of equipment, and also life and limb. There's better images there.
We're an image based culture, and a lot of the action sports that are seemingly made for those iconic shots they each will have and which have moved their 'sport' from niche to normal would still be niche activities for goofballs with a deathwish if it weren't for the photographers and videographers who were crazier than the goofballs they were following around.

Hats off to the guys that can handle it. I would get weird for sure. To illustrate my terrible mental game I have a local hole where the tee sign is top right corner of the tee pad. It's not within an arms reach for a RHBH throw, but it's right there in my peripheral and after playing it 50X I still can't generate a regular follow through off the T-Pad. It's pathetic. Last time I tried closing my right eye on my run up.

This is a bit off topic but the guy I play with most frequently has a dog that LOVES going with us for disc golf to run around and mark plastic, but he is kind of a dog jerk because he sometimes will rush the tee while you're running up. It can be a huge distraction but we have come to the conclusion that if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball and if we can tee off with Chief the mighty dog rushing you like a stalking tiger, no amount of anything can distract you. Chief rounds are the best trainers ever haha

I had to deal with this once during the final 9 at a B tier, except instead of directly in front a photographer was off about 45 degrees to the side... better in the sense that she wasn't in your vision once you were focused on your target off in the distance.

However, she was still about 10 feet away, and so what made it horrible is you have complete silence as you get ready to throw, and then as soon as you start your run up, "CHCK CHCK CHCK CHCK CHCK"! The shutter was so loud and distracting given that it only started as you began to throw.

I put up with it because I assumed the photos would be made available to us players later... they weren't.

I had to deal with this once during the final 9 at a B tier, except instead of directly in front a photographer was off about 45 degrees to the side... better in the sense that she wasn't in your vision once you were focused on your target off in the distance.

However, she was still about 10 feet away, and so what made it horrible is you have complete silence as you get ready to throw, and then as soon as you start your run up, "CHCK CHCK CHCK CHCK CHCK"! The shutter was so loud and distracting given that it only started as you began to throw.

I put up with it because I assumed the photos would be made available to us players later... they weren't.

Ok now that I am not cool with. You could have stopped and asked the photog to cut it out since its a distraction. I photographed a lot of stuff at the 2013 worlds and made a real point of not clicking the shutter until well after the disc was released unless I was really really far away.

I've hung my head (and camera, and lens) out while bicycles are flying past within a couple feet at high speed. Meh, the riders didn't care.. neither did I.. and there's a TON more money in professional cycling than disc golf.

Lots more pain, injury, damage, etc available as well. As for shutter noise? Pros are pros.

As for shutter noise, reading between the lines earlier in this thread, the subject photographer must have a mirrorless camera. And it's really the mirror, not the shutter, that makes the noise in DSLRs.

Latest posts