• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient discs changing a course in Orangeburg SC

Yeah those pallet bridges the club built sure sound grand!

Every review also mentions tons of trash ... Funny being marked as a "disc golf only" area of the park...?!

I mean .. Is this club for real?

Did we really need another entire thread for the same posters to bemoan the evils of Salient? The ADGT thread wasn't enough to tell the story of Kilgus ruining the whole sport?

Yeah those pallet bridges the club built sure sound grand!

Every review also mentions tons of trash ... Funny being marked as a "disc golf only" area of the park...?!

I mean .. Is this club for real?

That's the impression I got reading the latest reviews. Sounds like this course is in dire need of a good cleaning and some updating. Maybe a redesign is in fact, in order to eliminate or get play away from some of the standing water issues.

Of course, reading how well loved Salient is makes me reach for the popcorn.

:popcorn:

The thing that makes this situation a little different is that the very small club being discussed is just about 100% of the disc golf community in Orangeburg. It would be another thing entirely of salient felt the club was undeserving the disc golf community in the city as a whole, but there is no disc golf community outside of the club.

It would be interesting to see if salient would have received support from the club if they would have approached them first. I don't blame the club members for being pissed about people going behind their back. It seems like it should have been a no brainer to at least try to get backing from the club first.

Let's be real tho people. The course is a dump. Any major efforts to revitalize the course should really be welcome, because the status quo just isn't working.

Going back 5+ years this course sounds like its always been a mess and was redesigned multiple times leading to the present course. Who did the work b4?

Don't know the details here, but reminds me of a local course about five years ago. It was a short, beginner friendly, hardly ever used course in a rural area. We redesigned it and kept the beginner/intermediate level in mind. A couple locals complained loudly mainly because we got rid of several 100' holes and greatly improved the flow of the course.

If the course is in such bad condition, why are the locals concerned about a clean up/redesign?

OR, is it the fact they weren't asked although it sounds like they do next to nothing to improve/maintain the course?

(I've found the people who complain the loudest are the ones who NEVER show up for workdays).

Hello, I am a local member of the ODGC. The course being remodel in the Edisto Memorial Gardens is dear to me and my fellow members. Salient's move to remodel the course upsets us because it was not brought to our attention first. Yes, the course could use work. The course sits on an old trash dump. There is flooding issue during peek rain seasons; however, as a group we have worked hard. We formed as a club in 2012 after the lack of one for almost 6 years. Things have change on the course for the good in the past 4 years. Salient intends to reduce the course from 28 holes to 18. Salient has gone around the proper methods of handling changes and burned bridges with many locals in the state. I feel this situation could have been handled properly with including the local members.

There is a way of doing things properly especially when it involves local authorities, government, and established groups: it's giving a courtesy call to the proper channels so everyone involved has been made aware.

Even doing proper medical missions in underserved areas in third world countries you always do proper courtesy calls (that means meeting with the local group, authorities, and even the police chiefs and major) or else you'll be met with a lot of resistance and even violence despite the best intentions.

I've noticed when you do proper meet and greet they'll be a lot more positively receptive and be helpful. It can be cumbersome and tedious but more often than naught it goes smoothly and it's well worth the time and a little extra effort.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a local member of the ODGC. The course being remodel in the Edisto Memorial Gardens is dear to me and my fellow members. Salient's move to remodel the course upsets us because it was not brought to our attention first. Yes, the course could use work. The course sits on an old trash dump. There is flooding issue during peek rain seasons; however, as a group we have worked hard. We formed as a club in 2012 after the lack of one for almost 6 years. Things have change on the course for the good in the past 4 years. Salient intends to reduce the course from 28 holes to 18. Salient has gone around the proper methods of handling changes and burned bridges with many locals in the state. I feel this situation could have been handled properly with including the local members.

Has there been any correspondence with Salient to try to work this out?

I have tired to contact them, with no response. Other members of the club have as well with only a general email response.

I wonder if they will start doing this all over the state if ADGT gets any kind of leverage.

SC locals will not let this happen

Yep, I'm interested to see this going forward. It's one thing if Salient offered to come and partner with a fledging club to help give it a boost but apparently that's not Kilgus' game.

I'm sorry, but from the Salient posts I've seen, you don't exist. Being imaginary gives you a lot less clout.

Or perhaps it's the fact that you guys were hiding out in the secret society called Facebook that made you so hard to find. Or that they would have had to put "Orangeburg disc golf" all in the same google search.

Yep, I'm interested to see this going forward. It's one thing if Salient offered to come and partner with a fledging club to help give it a boost but apparently that's not Kilgus' game.

I'm hoping for a Choad vs Kilgus battle over Va-Du-Mar.

Latest posts