• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

OK, Rodney, I have the tee sign and the real numbers for Lakeside #15. It sounds like maybe you're using a combination of internet distance, memory distance, and Shiner distance.

Using laser distance, the blue tee to the red tee is actually 231'. And before we planted the new trees, it was just 261' from the blue tee to the end of the woods.

Basically, we extended the alley through the woods by about about another 100'. So the "perfect" drive on that hole is about a 400' rope that goes straight for the first 360' (downhill), and then can fade off a little right or left. If you execute that shot, you'll be looking at a righty hyzer and a lefty hyzer that we cleared through the woods. One more great shot, and you're putting for eagle.

The other main option is a big righty hyzer off the tee to a large landing area near the creek. Then two shots to get home.

831-510=321.

End of thread driftw

As a native Texan, copperheads are generally good for the environment and won't bite you unless it looks like you're reaching to pick them up. Be mindful of where you sit, walk and reach and you should be OK. You have more to fear from fire ants than you do snakes.

If you see a copperhead, let him know you're there, stay still and watch him intently and he will almost always leave in the other direction.

Please don't kill them. They look cool and they are cool.

Ok, I live on NC. Last time I heard we lead the Nation in snake bites. I hate the f*ckers. Sorry for the foul language, but I watched one streak across my patio once and literally go straight for my 3 year old daughter. I hold a grudge. Pretty much forever. Copperheads can be aggressive and dangerous. I'll go to Selah someday in the winter, or come prepared. I am a snake magnet. I could play in Antarctica and land a disc on a snake.

Selah looks awesome. Can't wait for the chance to play there, and pay pretty much whatever they ask. Thanks to all those that have posted for cool, photos and info.

I had a copperhead spew venom at me once in my garage, I'm sure he was a sweet fellow but I'm more important :|.

I guess the snakes in Texas are too busy doing their own thing to care about "hunting" humans.

Copperheads are beautiful reptiles. We didn't kill them unless they were around the house, and the dogs usually took care of that (our dachshund got bit several times over her lifetime while killing copperheads). When I encountered them in the woods I figured they had as much right to be there as I.

Throughout my life I have heard those tales about aggressive snakes, especially the "evil" cottonmouth moccasin but all of the ones I encountered just wanted to get away. Even the one I stepped on in tall grass didn't strike and beat it toward the water. I used to swim our pond right up into dusk (the whippoorwills were singing before I was ready to give it up) when the water snakes came out in force but none were ever aggressive.

Curtis

Copperheads are beautiful reptiles. We didn't kill them unless they were around the house, and the dogs usually took care of that (our dachshund got bit several times over her lifetime while killing copperheads). When I encountered them in the woods I figured they had as much right to be there as I.

Throughout my life I have heard those tales about aggressive snakes, especially the "evil" cottonmouth moccasin but all of the ones I encountered just wanted to get away. Even the one I stepped on in tall grass didn't strike and beat it toward the water. I used to swim our pond right up into dusk (the whippoorwills were singing before I was ready to give it up) when the water snakes came out in force but none were ever aggressive.

Curtis

That whole post gives me the heebie jeebies. :|

831-510=321.

Ah, tee sign distance. Forgive me.

I believe the blue distance is measured on the three-shot route, which is how we'd expect most people to play the hole. The route from the red tee is pretty direct.

Give me a few days to check into that. Happy Easter, everyone.

That whole post gives me the heebie jeebies. :|

Sorry, that was not my intent. Just pointing out that as a kid I logged thousands of hours in the woods and around ponds and never had a problem. Much of that time was in spring rains when runoff and rising waters get all types of reptiles moving. I'm sure that sloppydisc or anyone else can enjoy Selah without worry any time of year, especially as clean as the place seems to be.

Curtis

I don't know about cottonmouths in Texas but here they can be aggressive on land. I'll swim with them all day but I'm not messing with them on land. I've had them come at me several times when I got within 20ft.

How many snakes are there at Selah? Do I need to come prepared with varmint rounds? It really sounds like a nice road trip plan, but not if I have to do battle or be overly wary of slimy reptiles. Should I just go in the winter?

Slimy reptiles? Snakes are warm, dry and soft. You should pick one up sometime. Well, maybe not one of those Copperheads.

Ok, sorry I derailed this thread with snake talk.

Can someone tell me about the accommodations at Selah? Those pictures with the small house looked cool. Is there multiple places to rent? Any advice on how far in advance to book something? Any insights or pointers other than checking out their web site?

You can stay in their Inn, in one of the smaller rental "houses", or you can camp outside. There is also a Super 8 motel about 15 minutes away. I'd advise calling at least a month ahead for any option to check availability.

You have four choice when staying on property at Selah:

1. The Main House - very B&B style, each room has a different theme - $
2. The Cottages - there's two B&B style cottages close to the main house. It looks like a women did the decorating. Although, I never stayed in either cottage - $$$
3. Corral House - An old barn remodeled into a house. 3 bedrooms. full kitchen, dining room, living room. Only one bathroom but it does have a pool table. Also has a nice porch, fire pit and grill. Sits on the edge of the property away from the main house. You get a golf cart included in the rate. - $$
4. Camp

I think the consensus is that staying at the corral house is the best option. Its basically the only option for groups unless you all want separate rooms in the main house.

This thread and their website are about the only resources out there.
i imagine that bookings will be tight this summer, I would recommend booking at least one and a half to two months in advance. Holiday weekends will fill quick too.

Yea, it really is. That's where i stay. Its got personality, its secluded, and it really has everything you need.

I just wish they would turn the ice maker on before guests arrive:mad:

Really, that was my only complaint.

I stayed in one of the cottages when I was there and it was fantastic. There is a hot tub in the middle of the cottages that is great late at night. I did however kick a copperhead off of the driveway one night walking to the hot tub. Inside the cottage I stayed at was first class. It was two bedrooms but we only needed one so they locked the other room and we paid less. The sheets on the bed are worth mentioning as I bought a set after we left. We also had every meal provided. Steaks for dinner, awesome breakfast and a picnic lunch. I would probably stay in the big house next time I go because it is a bit cheaper but if you want to splurge a bit do one of the cottages. Super private and really really nice on the inside.

^Can you tell me a little bit more about the meals? I've always wondered. Did you go into the main house for breakfast and lunch? Do they have a cook or was Dav/Candy doing the cooking?

Were you eating with the other guests?

Price-wise? I'd imagine there's a premium for food service.

Latest posts