• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should It Be Considered A Course If It Only Has One Basket?

We can quaduple the national course count overnight and take that information to our local Parks Dept. and say "Hey, look how fast DG is growing!"

Nevermind, they would probably just say "Well, it looks like we already have 30 courses in our little town of 4,000 people."

You can some throw at my two baskets in my back yard. Boom, bagged. Then we can move them across the street and call the park bagged too.

#TEAM

Sounds good. How many baskets are there in the course across the street? If it's an 18 hole course, let's re-categorize those as 18 separate practice areas. Boom, just bagged 18 practice areas...that's even more than Stardoggy has!

#TEAM

I have a permanent basket in my backyard. If throwing from the street in the front yard and using the side as a tunnel shot (solid line of trees on one side and the house on the other), I have a 198 foot one-hole Par 3 course.

I have also put up three more temp baskets so that we could circle the house. Hitting my house was okay, but landing in the neighbor's yard or out in the street was OB. I once played a 20 hole bag tag challenge with a friend. I lost at -7 with 4 OBs to his -8 and 1 OB. There were not many gimmie drives with all the trees and obstacles I have in my hard, and throwing a blind thumber over the house to hit a green in the corner of the lot next the mailbox was definitely an adventure.

You also can't get thumbs up or down for those reviews.

Huh. Today I learned. I guess I should feel less bad that my practice area courses have no thumbs. I guess that means I do not really have to put in a large amount of effort. Because there is hard to put effort into a review when there is nothing to say about it.

Huh. Today I learned. I guess I should feel less bad that my practice area courses have no thumbs. I guess that means I do not really have to put in a large amount of effort. Because there is hard to put effort into a review when there is nothing to say about it.

We need an entirely new resource to deal with practice area reviews.
DGPAR: Disc Golf Practice Area Review.

Throwing at one or two baskets in a field and calling it a "course" is total bullsh!t. IMO. YMMV. #2016. Etc.
Looking at you *doggy and HC.
Effing baggers.

I didn't list them on the site. Well maybe one. But it's in a park. And has an Around the World game attached to it.

I just have to throw at all the baskets. It's not my fault. It's the disease.

Thankfully, c_a, your reviews are well-written:thmbup:, unlike your last-night's-half-a-beer-for-breakfast post. :D

Completely off topic but this reminds me of all the "18 hole" courses that are 9 or 10 baskets with two sets of tee pads. I've seen a lot of these lately in New Mexico and Arizona. I have a 9 hole course that Is played at 18 and I would never try to sell it as 18 holes.

Completely off topic but this reminds me of all the "18 hole" courses that are 9 or 10 baskets with two sets of tee pads. I've seen a lot of these lately in New Mexico and Arizona. I have a 9 hole course that Is played at 18 and I would never try to sell it as 18 holes.

There's some of those in WI, too. The Green Bay area likes to run that scam. A crappy course in Horicon, as well.

Red Oak in Minnesota runs dual tees with 10 baskets. Very well done and one of the best courses I have played in the area. Even when the difference between the two pads are only a few feet, it feels like a completely different shot.

Hole 1 is slight uphill through a tightish fairway with a few smaller trees in the middle. Assuming I stay clean of those trees in the middle as it slopes uphill, I can run the basket with a FD.

Hole 11 is about 20 or so feet further back, maybe 30, but not further than that. That room for error suddenly seems harder to hit, as is any window or tunnel a far ways down the fairway. It took one of my most beautiful shots ever to run the basket with a DDX, otherwise, I am content with getting close and just taking a three, whereas from Hole 1 I know I can be within range of a birdie considerably more often.

Overall, a wonderful use of elevation and the trees. Numerous "sharing" tee pads are less than one hundred feet a part but totally change the whole dynamic of the hole.

It sounds like Red Oak is the exception, not the rule of multiple tee pad courses.

I have property up-north where I have contemplated carving out some holes to play and plopping down my portable baskets. It seemed the more natural thing to do to increase the playability and reducing the monotony of it to make several tees and fairways leading up to a few central baskets. I only have four portables to work with, and I would rather not have to lug them around from fairway to fairway.

Of course this seems like a more viable option considering my situation, but when it is a permanent course, as demonstrated by Red Oak, it can be done correctly as well and should make it be considered a 20 hole course, not 10.

Yet, just to bring another Minnesota course into discussion, Lochness is a nine hole course with three sets of tees on every hole. In most cases, they are just extending the shot and not reshaping the flow of the fairway. The deal here, however, is that most holes from the shorts are already pushing par 4s to par 5s; the longs do not really change those pars, but just reduces the likelihood of getting that lower range as often. I would never consider this a 27 hole course.

I think it really comes down to is whether you are feeling inclined that it is a must to play through again from those other tees. Red Oak, yes, you almost have to. Lochness, no, once you are done with 9, you are likely done because you would not see anything new by playing another round.

It's still a 10 hole course with dual tees, no matter how awesome it is to play both sets.

I've played Red Oak. Definitely a 10 hole course, no matter how you slice it. A good one, though.

Maybe instead of course bagging the new trend should be basket bagging. My course count doesn't tell you too much about how much actual unique disc golf I've experienced, a large percentage are 9 holes are fewer, some are 27 or even 36 holes. Now a unique basket count, that would be an interesting stat, and would encourage me to explore more layouts at a given course. I could stop at this one basket "course" and bag a basket, or I could stop at maple hill and bag 72 baskets...

Any guesses to what my unique basket count is? I have no idea...

I've played Red Oak. Definitely a 10 hole course, no matter how you slice it. A good one, though.

Right on. :thmbup: My point wasn't that they are not fun or good courses, just call it what it is. Though I did skip out after 8 holes at Conocido in Arizona because it looked like a Black Friday league would be starting soon and checking another course off the list isn't as important as my 3 & 5 year old kids safety.

There's some of those in WI, too. The Green Bay area likes to run that scam. A crappy course in Horicon, as well.
The Sandhills course at Camp Canaan is one of these. 9 baskets that you play twice from different tee pads. Not a bad course except that most of the "long" tees (back nine) are just 40' extensions of the short tees.

Multiple tees are the same as multiple pins: even if it gives you a completely different look, it's still not adding holes to the course. Just offering options on the same holes.

Don't get me wrong, I like having those options. It can be misleading to incorrectly call them as extra holes, though. If nothing else it can set expectations too high. I noted this in my recent review of a course in Sand Springs, OK.