• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow Throwin'

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Winter is here and so is the snow, but I don't see that stopping me from playing. Who has played in the snow and what are some tips for snow throwing?

I played Thanksgiving day in a few inches of snow. It was a firmer snow so the discs did not go under the snow. I think success playing in the snow depends on the depth of the snow and the texture.

Also, I had the idea for lighter colored discs that might be hard to find in the snow: Use some blue painter's tape and put a big "X" on the disc to make it easier to spot.

Other tips/experiences/advice...............

We play in the snow quite a bit in northern Wisconsin. In early winter, it's more of an issue about finding your discs - good idea about the tape, though this may add some weight? I rim my lighter color discs with red permanent marker, and that seems to help.

As winter drags on, you deal with deeper and deeper snow. I played a round last year in about three and a half feet of snow on the ground. I wore snowshoes, and we were putting down into the baskets, which were just above the snowline. The snowshoes really complicated the X-step :eek:

The nice thing about winter disc golf is the water hazards are now ice hazards. We still play them as out of bounds with a one-stroke penalty (I would be interested in others' interpretations of this rule), but it's nice to not have to go swimming for your disc.

As to the depth and texture of the snow, great point. It's much more difficult to find your disc in loose powder that's been mixed around by others playing than it is with virgin snow (go ahead discflinger – I have my rim shot ready :D). When you can see unmarked snow with a clear entry-point, it's pretty easy to find your disc.

Keep snow-throwin'!

It blows my mind that there's parts of the USA where it doesn't get above the low 30's all winter. I thought that kind of weather was reserved for Canada. Then again, I guess northern Wisconsin is about as close to Canada as you can get this side of Alaska.

A while back I played an event in the snow with a guy who had some kind of colored chalk powder that he was putting on his discs. He said it helped his grip and the discs left this big colored smear across the snow. He was the only guy doing it in the first round and it worked really well for him. At the break he gave chalk to a bunch of guys, so there were smears all over the fairway in the second round. It still helped us find discs though, it really narrowed down the number of places the disc could be. I'll try to see if I can find out what that stuff was.

Of course, everybody was a chalky mess by the end of the event. What the Hell, we were playing disc golf in the snow...whats a little chalk going to hurt?

ive heard tales about orange construction streamers taped to the bottom of discs like a tail. so when the disc is buried the orange tape stays on the surface of the snow.
can anyone attest to this?

Seems like a tail would affect disc flight even more than blue tape, but I'm no engineer.

Biggest tip for snow throwing: start with a clear pad, if at all possible.

ive heard tales about orange construction streamers taped to the bottom of discs like a tail. so when the disc is buried the orange tape stays on the surface of the snow.
can anyone attest to this?

I just played a round with a guy who did something like this... made his disc super freaking over-stable and dramaticly reduced his distance.

I just watch and see where my disc goes in the snow. :p

A while back I played an event in the snow with a guy who had some kind of colored chalk powder that he was putting on his discs. He said it helped his grip and the discs left this big colored smear across the snow. He was the only guy doing it in the first round and it worked really well for him. At the break he gave chalk to a bunch of guys, so there were smears all over the fairway in the second round. It still helped us find discs though, it really narrowed down the number of places the disc could be. I'll try to see if I can find out what that stuff was.

Of course, everybody was a chalky mess by the end of the event. What the Hell, we were playing disc golf in the snow...whats a little chalk going to hurt?

This sounds like the powdered chalk used in construction for snapping straight lines. Home Depot. It comes in a plastic bottle with a nozzle that you can squeeze the chalk out of. Red and blue. Probably 3-4 bucks.

As to the depth and texture of the snow, great point. It's much more difficult to find your disc in loose powder that's been mixed around by others playing than it is with virgin snow (go ahead discflinger – I have my rim shot ready :D). When you can see unmarked snow with a clear entry-point, it's pretty easy to find your disc.

When going deep into virgin snow, listen closely for the faint whimper. I'm not even kidding...

Yeah, it's like tracking. Keep a good eye on every shot (no matter how bad one may be), approach cautiously and be patient for sight of the cut. Standing in one place and looking around is a good idea.

Trifocal beat me to it, sounds like snap line chaulk. Just came back from a Wisconsin (home) visit. Snapped a few pics from Heistand park #1 Tee, but didn't have my discs. Amazing view! My fiance is wonderful to park the car and let me run around while she is freezing in WI weather.

This sounds like the powdered chalk used in construction for snapping straight lines. Home Depot. It comes in a plastic bottle with a nozzle that you can squeeze the chalk out of. Red and blue. Probably 3-4 bucks.

Watch out using this stuff though, it's super stong and could probably stain clothes.

Watch out using this stuff though, it's super stong and could probably stain clothes.

Definitely sounds like snap-line chalk. And yes, its a mess, especially wet ,so dont get it on any clothes you like. But the idea sounds pretty good even if it is messy.

Definitely sounds like snap-line chalk. And yes, its a mess, especially wet ,so dont get it on any clothes you like. But the idea sounds pretty good even if it is messy.

I've worked with it for years....it will wash out of jeans and sweatshirts, but it does have a tendency to transfer from one thing to another. Like the seat of your pants to the seat of your car or your boots to the front hall carpet. Its very powdery, so make sure the wind is at your back when you use it.

someone told me to a bobber light you use fishing on the backside of your disk and tape it with clear tape. the light usually lasts 5 to 6 hours. it seemed a good idea I have never tried it because I think it would mess with the flight of the disc to much.

i played my first Snow round over the weekend that just passed and it was fun and annoying at the same time. wearing boots on ice and snow covered tee pads takes a good 100' off my drive. also (like an idiot) i was throwing a white disc on a way down hill to a basket that i can clearly see, i throw the disc and i can see where it lands. even though i saw where it lands it took me a hour to find it. im never doing that again. but i couldnt just leave my favorite roc out in the cold snow :)

i played my first Snow round over the weekend that just passed and it was fun and annoying at the same time. wearing boots on ice and snow covered tee pads takes a good 100' off my drive. also (like an idiot) i was throwing a white disc on a way down hill to a basket that i can clearly see, i throw the disc and i can see where it lands. even though i saw where it lands it took me a hour to find it. im never doing that again. but i couldnt just leave my favorite roc out in the cold snow :)

Oh man, oh man........don't leave a Roc behind. I'm still sad over losing my first Roc. Sheesh...I spent 3 hours over 2 days looking for that disc. So...what did you card on the hole?

i just played yesterday in two inches of snow and it was fun. i recommend bringing two or more towels to dry your discs off and dont use white disc. my friend used one and had to spend 30 min looking for it.

Just don't buy the white chalk.

Ya think?!?!?!?!?:D

A lot of good tips here.

What do you guys do with your towels? Are they clipped onto your bag or inside your bag? I was thinking instead of using a towel, use one of those rubber chamois that you can ring out and it is dry again.

Latest posts