• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

First round I've played that I really felt how much I've improved over the last year. Didn't shot the greatest score most likely, wasn't really counting. Was more concerned with 5 birdies and at least 4-5 putts canned dead center from 45' to 60'. Hit my lines more often than not, had a noticeable gain in distance without trying and harder. Starting to really love this game again hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomorrow will be better :)

Ok, today was bad. I threw +1 on hole 1 and ended +8 after 21 holes. My time was 30:43min/sec. 3.25 miles 85 degrees feels like 100 with 70% humidity. It started raining hard on hole 15. I don't stop running other than to catch my breath. I carry 3 disc in hand, two Innova Grooves and one Innova Skeeter. After the tee shot I keep the next shot in hand so that when I arrive to the first throw I don't have to stop. I throw in mid stride. I try to throw far enough behind the disc so that I can bend down after throwing and grab the disc on the ground while running. If I hit it right I can normally step on the side of the disc and make it stand up enough so that I'm not touching the ground on every throw. ALL of my shots are flings. The putt shot is a series of side steps with a backhand or if the score is close I will pause for a second and take 1 deep breath and then shoot. I know this is not for everyone but I really am passionate about this style of DG. I have always had a lot of energy. I did my first Ironman in CA 2016 and feel like I can play a DG game for 24 hours straight on a Blue Tee or similar course. Mike Sale did it to raise money for schools shootings in CA.https://youtu.be/KHHxkE2VimEOn September 12, Mike Sale set out to play more disc golf holes in a 24-hour period than anyone in history. This is his story, played out at the Blockhouse Disc Golf complex in Spotsylvania, Virginia.

Ok, today was bad. I threw +1 on hole 1 and ended +8 after 21 holes. My time was 30:43min/sec. 3.25 miles 85 degrees feels like 100 with 70% humidity. It started raining hard on hole 15. I don't stop running other than to catch my breath. I carry 3 disc in hand, two Innova Grooves and one Innova Skeeter. After the tee shot I keep the next shot in hand so that when I arrive to the first throw I don't have to stop. I throw in mid stride. I try to throw far enough behind the disc so that I can bend down after throwing and grab the disc on the ground while running. If I hit it right I can normally step on the side of the disc and make it stand up enough so that I'm not touching the ground on every throw. ALL of my shots are flings. The putt shot is a series of side steps with a backhand or if the score is close I will pause for a second and take 1 deep breath and then shoot. I know this is not for everyone but I really am passionate about this style of DG. I have always had a lot of energy. I did my first Ironman in CA 2016 and feel like I can play a DG game for 24 hours straight on a Blue Tee or similar course. Mike Sale did it to raise money for schools shootings in CA.https://youtu.be/KHHxkE2VimEOn September 12, Mike Sale set out to play more disc golf holes in a 24-hour period than anyone in history. This is his story, played out at the Blockhouse Disc Golf complex in Spotsylvania, Virginia.
keep carrying those two grooves and skeeter! you'll find another activity before long!

Passionate about Speed Disc Golf

I've been playing for 5 years now and I plan on getting faster and a lower score than 0. No plans on finding "another activity". I'll just add it to the collection of other sports that I'm passionate about. Hopefully this site will allow me to network with others who play fast. It would drive me nuts to play for 3 hour and only shoot 18 holes. I can shoot 36 in less than hour and score +4. Isn't that good? I mean, come on, who do you know that can drive accurately on the run? New style of DG.

Skydiving, dropping in on half pipes, surfing salt creek in CA, surf fishing for reds in Galveston, outdoor guide, magician, graffiti writer (canvas only), speed disc golf. You should see me cook breakfast. Sooo many irons on the fire. Yet the meal turns out magnificent.

I have simultaneous, and conflicting, feelings about this, Mr. BBoy.

On the one hand, I have much admiration for anyone who is passionate about DG and physical fitness. And breakfast.

(Prestidigitation deserves its own thread, or perhaps its own forum. Lying and fooling people for fun has always been a questionable pastime to me. But I digress.)

On the other hand, DG is my idea of a relaxing hike in the woods with an objective, friends, and cold, cold beer.* Can't imagine having much of my kind of fun whilst sprinting. I would classify it differently, is all. There's golf, and there's extreme fitness. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but neither should they be combined on purpose. :p

* Lest anyone assume otherwise, I am a Litter Nazi. Pack it in, pack it out. Period.

My terrible forehand is slightly less terrible. It still doesn't go very far, my release angles aren't consistent and I occasionally throw it into the ground. But it usually stays on the fairway and I'm less hesitant to throw it on holes that a FH is well-suited to. Which is nice.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just want to play fast

What score at T.C. Jester Park(Blue Tee only) in Houston, TX, would convince people to take this speed DG serious? I am very respectful of other players. I am not a distraction while others are shooting and I'm in and out of peoples way really fast when they allow me to play through. I actually run hardest when people let me play through out of respect. My empathy levels are way higher than most. I understand that DG is a lot like real golf. DG etiquette is important.

Every country I have ever visited I have been able to meet tremendous people via three things...
1. Breakdancing
2. Magic Tricks
3. being a genuine, authentic, loving human

P.S. ALL of my games involve a 420 session before and after the game. I did ALL of my Ironman training this way and had no issues.

What score at T.C. Jester Park(Blue Tee only) in Houston, TX, would convince people to take this speed DG serious?

If by "take serious" you mean "try it themselves"....nothing. No score you shoot will ever convince the crowd here to try speed golf as anything more than a gimmicky version of DG to play every once in a great while on an empty course.

But I doubt many people take issue with you doing it. It takes like 30 seconds to let a speed golfer play through. You do you.

I'll take that as a personal challenge :) I got on here to feel people out and it seems people are stuck in their ways. I will do me. "No score will convince the crowd here to try speed golf". I love comments like these. Thank You.

Didn't really know I'd be playing today, but got some unexpected free time and hit the course.

I only had my backup bag on me, which right now is the all Innova bag I built for fun.

Really didn't know what to expect from some of these discs and a couple I had either never thrown or had not in a while, so it was interesting. Shot -7 which is my average on that course, but I got my birds in different spots than I do often. I still had Firebirds, Destroyers and Giants/ Rocs and Bards aren't that different so that was fine. Even the Teebirds were good.

I didn't like putting with the Aviars, and ended up going with the Champ Rhyno I had to putt a lot and made some big putts with it. So missed my Atoms.

Also use the Stego to drive on 4 holes here usually and not having it cost me probably 2 strokes where I usually birdie holes with it and by far over threw two holes with the Rhyno.

Overall good day... as long as your arrows aren't crap, I guess it is all about the archer.

I thought of BBoy last night, playing a round with my son and a lady from our usual weekday group...

A guy came up on us with one disc and waaaaay more sweat pouring off of him than would be warranted in a usual round, so we waited on the next tee to let him through. Sure enough, he throws a pretty good drive and proceeds to sprint after it. "Thanks, guys! Have a great round."
We chuckled amongst ourselves for a minute, you know, "Can't imagine doing that," etc., then moved on. An hour later, here he comes again...

So he played at least two rounds, while we didn't even finish 18 before it got dark. There's something to this.

So people do like to play fast! I'm so glad to hear he was polite and didn't run through your game like a jerk.

Far from it, sir! He was apologetic, if anything, which was unnecessary from our point of view. He was clearly playing quickly, and we were having a relaxed beer-round.

There are plenty of people who seem to enjoy a "running round." We see it often, and while we don't see ourselves doing it, we certainly don't begrudge those who do. Everyone has their thing. I'm not one of those purists who takes issue with any deviation from the norms and whatnot. Even the "bro-chuckers" don't bother me too much with their continuous etiquette breaches. As long as they don't litter or destroy property, I say more power to them. Eventually, someone will educate them. I've got more important things to worry about, like washing my hair on Saturday nights...

I thought of BBoy last night, playing a round with my son and a lady from our usual weekday group...

A guy came up on us with one disc and waaaaay more sweat pouring off of him than would be warranted in a usual round, so we waited on the next tee to let him through. Sure enough, he throws a pretty good drive and proceeds to sprint after it. "Thanks, guys! Have a great round."
We chuckled amongst ourselves for a minute, you know, "Can't imagine doing that," etc., then moved on. An hour later, here he comes again...

So he played at least two rounds, while we didn't even finish 18 before it got dark. There's something to this.

I do the same exact thing. It is a great form of exercise and helps with the constrained amount of time I have to play.

I hereby proclaim that because of BBoy and the good Doctor, if I can quit smoking - which is a goal for 2018 - I will play one round per week with 2 discs...at a fast jog. No sprinting for this old man, at least for the time being. Once the lungs re-pinken, I can test out the Joints.*

*Resist the temptation, 420 rascals

Shot a 57 at Red Orchard park in Shelbyville, KY. True par 64. Tough course. Got a 2 on #1, a 495' straight shot with tough rough all around. My first two on that course!

Hadn't played a round due to illness since late August. Thought it was a diverticulitis attack but after it destroyed me for 7 weeks I finally decided to tinker with my diet one last time and eliminate gluten. That was Wednesday and it was like flipping a switch. I feel 27 pounds lighter (because I literally lost 27 pounds during this period), but more importantly, my muscles are actually functioning again.

Anyway, finally played today. Beautiful fall day, brought the dog. Distance was sad, couldn't make a putt, then rallied for some birdies including 16 & 17 which I've never birdied in the same round ever. Small achievement but I almost broke down with gratitude just to throw again and have the energy to finish 18. :thmbup: