• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Still hate technical wooded holes (practice rounds) :wall: Doesn't seem like blasting drivers as far as possible in a field actually helps any. :doh:

I have a buddy who I have played with for 25 years at this point. He has gotten obsessed with field work and can now throw way farther than I can when we basically threw the same distance for years and years. His woods game is shot to **** from it though.

Still hate technical wooded holes (practice rounds) :wall: Doesn't seem like blasting drivers as far as possible in a field actually helps any. :doh:
When I was a newer player I would go find an open field bordered with loose groupings of trees. I'd look for areas where I could create a short gap from 2 trees or a short tunnel from 4-6 trees. And then I'd set myself up at the limit of my accuracy and try to just blast the daylights out of drives through the gap into the open field.

Big open manicured spaces. Where even where I was in amongst the trees there was no undergrowth to mess with finding my plastic.

Played three-plus rounds yesterday! Easily the most golf I've played in one day since probably my trip to Toboggan/Kensington in October. Only two rounds that day, but the number of shots made up for it.

I got out early in the morning because I was playing a local course that used to be my home track, but which I haven't had to be backhand only on in nearly 10 years. Still letting my shoulder recover. I learned that it takes more than just a single warmup round to find those hyzer-flip-to-turn-and-run lines. I tried to lean on my Keystone all day but I struggled to get the lines just-right. I was overturning high lines, under turning low lines...

One struggle for me is that I play with a lot of hyzer and the guys I was golfing with that played the lines well were throwing more level release shots with less variance on the turn. Maybe more throw-and-hold lines with the Buzzz (also was throwing the Buzzz for the first time since 2012 - to replace an MD3 I lost on Thursday).

Overall performance was okay... but I think the misses with the hyzer flip shots got in my head and impacted my ability to clear my head and just *throw* on the rest of my shots. I was very sporadic throughout the day, getting stuck on my mechanics.

One thing is for sure - I should never lose locally on a day where I draw one of the three best players out of a group of 14. Marty Peters carried my ass to 2nd place, after a playoff loss to a local Adv player - Nate Hoyle, who was drilling putts all day long. It was really Marty vs Nate, throughout, and I was just helpful at times. And then in a singles round after - I tied Nate and we both got walloped by Marty for our lunch money. That round I had 2 5's, 2 4's, and 4 2's, and missed a few short putts for 2. Very very sporadic.

Played a 4 day, 4 round B-tier this weekend. Weather was awful all weekend, 20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 50 the first 3 days and some rain sprinkled in. Final day the wind lightened up a bit, blowing mostly 10-15 mph, but the rain picked up and we even got some hail and sleet.

Round 1 and 2 we played the open, OB riddled course and I almost shot two great rounds but made a few huge mistakes and got some bad spitouts due to the wind. I got to play with a semi-touring MPO pro round 2 who was not dealing well with the conditions, and that was great fun.

Round 3 we moved onto the tight wooded course and I forgot how to play disc golf.

Final round was today and I just played it easy and safe, stayed in my lane the entire while, hit most of my lines and, aside from one hole where I forgot how to putt for a couple of minutes, I hit just about everything within 40'. Shot 21 strokes better than round 3 and got the highest rated round of my career. Also decided to turn pro this year, and this was my first time cashing, $357 first time around was pretty nice.

I have a buddy who I have played with for 25 years at this point. He has gotten obsessed with field work and can now throw way farther than I can when we basically threw the same distance for years and years. His woods game is shot to **** from it though.

Sounds like Chuck to me. :)

This is one of the reason, I rarely play at Franklin. Throwing 400 feet is not going to help me hit a 15 foot gap off the tee.

This is one of the reason, I rarely play at Franklin. Throwing 400 feet is not going to help me hit a 15 foot gap off the tee.

That is why I never throw 400' ;)

Played for the first time in a while yesterday, partial Seneca Creek with bro. Dog was happy to get out in the woods.

Compression sleeve and ice afterwards seemed to help the balky knee. I hope so, anyway. :|

For the first time this year I played Waller Mill in Williamsburg, Virginia a heavily wooded ravine course, up and down, up and down etc. My favorite course from Virginia Beach to Richmond. Also, a good weight loss program, low 60's t-shirt shorts two rounds soaked in sweat. If I didn't live an hour away, I would play here every week. I'll try to make 5 more visits before October when the park opens up later in the day. Managed to birdie one of the long par 4's for the first time. Still hit a ton of trees.

Played a B tier at Henrietta, OK Saturday. Two awesome courses in the eastern part of the state so pretty technical and wooded.

Shot even par on the west course in the second round. Turns out it was the low round for B pool, 943 rated. Very happy with that result. Don't really wanna talk about round one on the east course.

Okay.....plus 9, 836 rated so I played 890 for the event pretty much matching my current rating of 891.

I'm kinda schizophrenic I guess.

I played a one round flex C- Tier on Saturday. Played OK, made some good shots. I'm glad it was one round, that is about all the interest I have in playing a tournament. Card mates were generally cool. Had fun for the most part. One guy was only interested in his shots and I had to remind him on three consecutive holes to not advance to his disc until the rest of us threw.

He also only brought one little washcloth and it p*ssed on us all day so it was excruciatingly slow waiting for him to dry his disc. It got to the point I asked my cardmates if I would be a d*ck for timing him once or twice and then calling 30 seconds. The card ahead of us finished 3 holes before we did. Then on the last hole, he parked his drive and then proceeded to 4 putt, after his last one bounced off the pole and kicked out. He tried taking a 4, and 2 of us had to correct him.

The tourney was well run and the TD's did a great job. But this made me realize I have lost the interest in playing competitive golf. Back when I was playing more and doing well, I had a mental edge that kept me focused on my game, and pretty much shut everyone else out. Now I find I have lost the edge and interest in dealing with other people's (strangers) idiosyncrasies while playing.

The only reason I got back into it last year was when my gf started playing with her kids giving us something to share. That part is still amazing I still enjoy throwing and watching the flight of a well thrown disc.

Finally had a good tournament, playing in the Brewer Park B-tier this past weekend, and for a twist, it was the first long layout sanctioned tournament I've played as an oldster. I'm all short game and control and don't really get to 300' anymore and figured my rating would tank if I ever played in something like that.

I was wrong. All of my MA-50 competitors had big distance for our age and skill level, one of them had very good forehand power, but I only finished 3 strokes out of the win and tied for 2nd. My upshot and putting game is so strong I was able to hang in there with them. I made each and every C1 putt, three or four of them between 25-33', a couple of jumpers to boot. Lots of bullseyes on upshots with my JK Aviar, or Harp in the wind. The guy with the big forehand was wild in the wind and tanked. Even though he beat me in the first round by 2 strokes, I got him by 10 in the second round. I just kept plunking accurate 275-foot drives in play, never once out-of-bounds all day, rarely having to scramble, stuck to my game plan and wound up with my best rated tournament and round in 2 years. A 917 is stellar for me! I tied the winner in round 2 to boot. Because he isn't planning on playing the states, and the very talented 63-year-old I tied for 2nd place already has his berth, I got in! It'll be my first MDGO state finals since I made the cut to play the final 9 back in the year 2000.

Moral of the story: 100 putts from 30' a day all winter pays off! And it was fun playing holes where I didn't have to pin every other tee shot to shoot a 900-rated round.

Oh, and MPO was there from the same tees so I got to say I shot "X" versus immortals. Luke Taylor fired 1050 and 1053 rated rounds and only beat me by 31. I've lost to Climo by 83 over 120 holes at worlds and Al Schack by 11 in 24 holes, etc. etc. over my career. Love getting to play the same tees!

Last edited:
Finally had a good tournament, playing in the Brewer Park B-tier this past weekend, and for a twist, it was the first long layout sanctioned tournament I've played as an oldster. I'm all short game and control and don't really get to 300' anymore and figured my rating would tank if I ever played in something like that.

I was wrong. All of my MA-50 competitors had big distance for our age and skill level, one of them had very good forehand power, but I only finished 3 strokes out of the win and tied for 2nd. My upshot and putting game is so strong I was able to hang in there with them. I made each and every C1 putt, three or four of them between 25-33', a couple of jumpers to boot. Lots of bullseyes on upshots with my JK Aviar, or Harp in the wind. The guy with the big forehand was wild in the wind and tanked. Even though he beat me in the first round by 2 strokes, I got him by 10 in the second round. I just kept plunking accurate 275-foot drives in play, never once out-of-bounds all day, rarely having to scramble, stuck to my game plan and wound up with my best rated tournament and round in 2 years. A 917 is stellar for me! I tied the winner in round 2 to boot. Because he isn't planning on playing the states, and the very talented 63-year-old I tied for 2nd place already has his berth, I got in! It'll be my first MDGO state finals since I made the cut to play the final 9 back in the year 2000.

Moral of the story: 100 putts from 30' a day all winter pays off! And it was fun playing holes where I didn't have to pin every other tee shot to shoot a 900-rated round.

Oh, and MPO was there from the same tees so I got to say I shot "X" versus immortals. Luke Taylor fired 1050 and 1053 rated rounds and only beat me by 31. I've lost to Climo by 83 over 120 holes at worlds and Al Schack by 11 in 24 holes, etc. etc. over my career. Love getting to play the same tees!

Jay and Coach Craig are pretty good golfers!. Hope you have the chance to chew the fat with Craig some. You two have both been playing awhile and certainly could spend a few swapping stories. Good golfing!!

I got some real good casual golf in yesterday evening. Shoulder still rehabbing, with a target date to use it in the course of regular golf (with a strict distance and frequency limit) of this upcoming Saturday with friends at Bald Mountain. I last used 8 days prior to yesterday (previous Sunday league) - on a single 250ish Zone standstill. Worked great but distinct brief flash of pain in the usual spot, though no lingering issue. On the 10th hole yesterday I decided to try out one for fun on the 370' slightly uphill shot. Got it to 350' with a limited windup, and only a dull ache during the throw.

As for the overall play... I am getting more used to playing the turnovers. I shot a -8 (49, 19 holes) with a bogey on the final hole, which is an expected birdie. I tried too hard for a pointless ace run and pushed OB deep right then missed the C2 putt. Overall only 77% C1X, missing all three of the longest (28, 30, 30) to go 10/13. Played some flip and run turning drives with my Origin and Roadrunner that I wasn't hitting a bit over a month ago. Also throwing my putters with a lot more pop than I was. Overall the extra work with my putters/mids and with turnovers in general should carry over nicely when my forehand is all-the-way functional again.

Jay and Coach Craig are pretty good golfers!. Hope you have the chance to chew the fat with Craig some. You two have both been playing awhile and certainly could spend a few swapping stories. Good golfing!!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. Age-protected divisions are the best! Boy, did it ever feel weird being the young guy on the card. It's been a long, long time since that last happened. I re-entered serious play in MA-40 at the age of 47, and I was almost always the oldest guy by years and years at putting league...

Latest posts