• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. Age-protected divisions are the best! Boy, did it ever feel weird being the young guy on the card. It's been a long, long time since that last happened. I re-entered serious play in MA-40 at the age of 47, and I was almost always the oldest guy by years and years at putting league...

I am playing MA60 at 59, with a Dec birthday. Just a puppy in that division....bunch o' geezers, lol.

Had a little free time today so I went to check out a course in town that I've never played; walked around the first few holes & threw tee shots with the 1 disc I took. Liked what I saw of the course, made some good throws and several terrible ones. Managed to get off a good throw on a short hole playing down a wooded, rocky cliff that found a gap and ended up 15 feet from the basket. I banged the putt in for my first ever birdie; even though it's unofficial it felt good to get that monkey off my back.

After over a year of strength training, bag rebuilding, and practice, I finally hit or broke 400 feet of distance post-transition! Pre-transition, my golf distance was 450, with a max distance (measured on Google Maps) of a little over 477. When I came back after letting my transition eat away all my muscles, I was struggling (using the same technique) to stay above 300 feet.

During a practice round, I threw a new light-weight ESP Scorch on a moderately high tailwind anhyzer, and parked a 377 foot hole (Hole 7 at Starr Jaycee park, in Royal Oak, MI). The extra distance necessary to do that most likely added at least 30 feet, as the hole requires at least that much just in left, then right carry, on the line I threw.

My golf distance is something like 370 on a straight shot, without the help of a tailwind - but circumstances combined to really make that shot feel good!

-8 at an 18 hole course with a couple proxies and an Ion for putting. It's a shorter course, so should have been down more, but I was throwing a bit off today.

Funny thing is while I missed the birdie on some of the easier holes in the 220-260' range, I got all the par 4's no problem.

One hole was recently extended from a ~350' par 3 to a ~520' par 4, and some people have been complaining it's unfair and not a par 4 on some local FB pages. I had an ok drive, just a straight shot towards the old basket that went 250-275', then had a big tree 50' out in front of me so I threw a wide hyzer around 250', and had a drop in birdie. Unfair my butt :rolleyes:

Missed a lot of putts today... was ace-running everything at a short short course, and missing the comebackers badly. I made the longest putt that I had on the day, and missed almost all the others outside of 10'. :mad:

Been playing bogey golf on average and field work not clicking at all. Specifically backhands are all over the place especially low power and standstill. Forehands wobbly unless they're near roller angle. Putting ugh. (also how does GG's putting work?!)

Also why do I have 20 discs when one Classic Hammer probably will get the same score :confused:

Got in some practice at my home course today. Worked on throwing tee shots on the holes that give me trouble (that could be all of them honestly) trying to figure out a different strategy or line to take; also worked on putting a little. The highlight was making a 50 foot par saving shot on a semi-nemesis hole (205 ft par 3). I'm pretty sure that's a new PB for the longest shot I've made to date; I was shocked when it crashed the chains & fell in the basket.

(something about a blind squirrel)

Yesterday morning Bayville DGC Virginia Beach teeing 630ish am the thickest fog I've played on the course, my first round is always short to short, longer holes a little misty to see baskets, some longer baskets not able to see. The course is about a mile from the Chesapeake Bay fog horns blaring away something I hadn't heard on the course before but reminded me of pulling into or out of port on a surfaced Submarine. A misty course, foghorn blaring kept thinking about that movie "The Fog":).

The second round long-short the fog started lifting, and sun peaking in. Good thing, there would of been some hidden baskets.

Didn't get to play a round today, but a friend was talking crap about me claiming to birdie some 400'+ holes with a disc he sold me. So I took a few minutes to go out to the field and throw some max distance golf shots and got one out to 480' on video with said disc. Not only was it a fun video to make and I got to talk mad smack, but it's also the farthest I've ever thrown.

173g Neutron Dimension, in case anyone was wondering.

More practice today on tee shots, nemesis holes, putting. Had an ah-ha moment while I was out there and finally broke the 200 ft barrier; as simple as changing my grip. Small, slow steps.

Pretty good day, -9 over 20 holes at Deerfield. Made a nice 40ft putt to save par on 19 when I went OB long.

Ohio Disc Golf Hall of Fame lunch-n (NE Ohio members welcoming 2023 member Dan Kilgore (mwah) with lunch, beverages @ Ray's place in Kent, Ohio) after a round @ the Kent State University (Kent, Ohio). I shot +8, though I only missed one putt all day. I wish I had the ability to drive far, which I do, but it's usually when I'm out course collecting in my car. Love sharing the fairways with Bill Flynn and Bill Griffith (both not on social media), I haven't heard those guys laugh so hard and so often than when we we're sharing the fairways yesterday. Good times!!

Nice seeing you Dan and congrats again ! We left the ceremony and headed for the shorter and shadier confines of Twin Creek, where nine of us teamed up for some triples best shot. New inductee Lisa Warner, my wife & I were -16 heading into the last hole. We finished 18 under after my drive found the sweet spot. Made the drive home that much sweeter and paid for our libations!

Started out with great intentions and birdied 3 out of first 4 holes, then started to let random life thoughts get in way. So I switched gears and did a practice round instead. I discovered that one of the discs from my Xmas stash is a very good headwind driver. I also played around a little with release point to try and remedy the new issue of throwing everything super low.

Latest posts