• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

I hit chains and basket on a shot today only to bounce out. It felt awesome, but if I didn't hit that, I probably would have been shooting +2 or 3 on that hole lol

Played my first ever A-tier this weekend. It was a very mixed bag. I learned a lot, in no small part from my own mistakes...

I walked away with great memories of some great shots, some decisions on discs which have outlived their time in my bag, and a better understanding of what I need to practice moving forward.

Just cruised through the 10 hole course near my office in like 25 mins. Only shot -2 but did it with just a Carnivore, Igunana and Tortuga.

Played my first semi-serious round with a full bag in over a month and ended up with one of my best scores at my local.

Went 15 feet long on a 365 foot hole with a FH flex shot. I'd never even sniffed C1 before today so I was pretty pleased especially since I didn't choke on the putt.

I'd been just doing 3 disc rounds on some 9 holers here and there because it's been a busy summer so it was nice to finally have a couple hours to myself and get in an actual round.

Today was pretty good. I can safely say the shoulder injury no longer impacts throwing at all. Though I do have pain at the end of my general range of motion and I'm still rehabbing it. So no issues with pain today.

I played a sanctioned round today. Got out there with about 20 minutes to warm up. Enough for lowered expectations but still a hope to compete. Shot a 950 rated round and got out with my money back.

Really it was a great "golf" round. I had a ton of trouble with heigh control. Our first hole was a 435 shot with an OB Creek running left the whole way. I played the safe shot out right and skied it 25+ feet too high and still got the pop to where I wanted my throw to be.

And on from there. High. Low. High. Low. I was generally accurate left to right. Just couldn't get to within 40. The only time I did I was buried in a bush and had no weight shift for a 25 footer straddle on the ground and missed it low. Got a couple of short birdies midway through and that was pretty much it for my action.

Except... Hole 16, Long tees at Vienna Park, its longer pin. 469' listed distance on DGCR, feels right. I got a great rip on a mildly seasoned XCaliber and dropped it 20' past the pin for a birdie. The shot has dense woods lining the left side of a narrow field that is your general fairway. Low ceiling immediately in front of you. You need to rip out toward the left side woods and run right. The woods press out suddenly at about 350 and force you well right of the initial fairway, before fading completely in at 469. XCal was pure the whole way. My best shot of the summer so far. Definitely glad it was a sanctioned round shot.

edit: 10 hours later I notice that I said "Shit a 950 rated round..." that was not the intended tone lmao.

Last edited:
It was one of those rare days.

Thats right - that rare kind of day where you're playing a course that you can only get on at most a couple of times per year. I took some vacation hours yesterday and got in two rounds on The Sanctuary, a DiscGolfPark that is unlisted here at DGCR (it can be found in the UDisc app but the location is just a nearby town). It was only expected to be one round, but the two friends I got to come out convinced me to approach the owner and ask for a second. And... well... I wasn't going to argue with the opportunity to burn a few more vacation hours in the afternoon.

Neat aside to the topic - got to hang out and chat for a bit with Kona and Colten who were staying on the property (this is the property where they got engaged, for the folks who stay up on Kona's social media). Colten's best score of the week was a 4-down. I believe he has the course record, closer to double digits.

The property is just beautiful. The open holes are picturesque over huge ponds and creeks designed for the holes and gentle rolling hills. For the first nine holes. And then you enter woods, broad wide fairways with tense choke-points (often immediate at the tee) cut from old growth forest. Tons of mature trees. Everything on the course ranges from 330 to 1100 feet, with two holes measuring 4 digits.

PXL_20230727_131517881.jpg
This was my birdie lie on the 465' hyzer-around-a-hill hole 3, round 1. Caught solid band both rounds (second round I was same distance, but tree on left forced my putt over top). You can see hole 4's tee in the background, and the ground sloping upward on the far right side is heading to 5's tee area above its fairway. Tons of money and labor were poured into shaping the hills for the course.

View attachment Copy of SNAP_20230727-092501.mp4

This is a video one of my card mates sent me of my drive on hole 5. You can see the bridge across to 4's completely surrounded island green on the left side in the foreground. On the other side of 5's fairway is a huge pond. The hole, in its current form, is well over 700 feet and the water runs almost the entire way up the left side. I parred this one, sawing off the ~300 foot approach a hair, smacking a tree (the approach enters the woods at a choke point and has to travel about 80 to access the wider green and 45 more to the pin). I missed the putt from 60. Second round, on a slightly worse drive that left me among the trees visible to the right/short of my lie, I actually ripped a nice 4' high zippy forehand that carried to C1 edge for the bird. My first time getting the bird in about 3-4 tries since the pin moved into the woods.

My best score of the day came in at a 65 (+1). My other score was a 71 (+7). And frustratingly if you took my best front 9 and my best back 9 (30/33 - 63) I would not have beat the best of my dude that took my $$$ on the day. I got one round off him, but he got most of the cash and the best score, 62 (-2).

It was a good day, tons of power sidearms and no shoulder pain. Actually my shoulder feels fantastic this morning. No residual pain, though I had a little soreness immediately after the round. Power FHs were necessary throughout, the massive wooded holes demanded them to make significant progress, and the three wooded par 3's are more FH friendly off the tee.

Glad I was able to get onto that course at least once this year. And now I'm just hoping for more...

Crappy, just plain crappy. +39. I kept wondering who moved the basket after every shot I took.

(But I did have a good time....good cardmates....and I knew I was just having an off day. A very off day, but an off day).

Hard to play when limited to 100 ft max flex forehands 😭 Injury from last tourney due to merch tent knocking me on my throwing side and finishing anyway means lots of pain for backhands. (of course day of it felt ok, every day after not ok.)

Mixed bag practice round. Had a birdy putt on a par four—happy to get there in two. Small progress. Still throwing stand-stills off the tee.

Early morning (6 am) fun round from the blues (long tees) Very relaxing, made some good shots and putting was reasonable good. Off the course before anyone else showed up, and had the rest of the day ahead of me. Good stuff.

Played Bayville in Virginia Beach yesterday, and hit a ton of trees, on a few holes that I couldn't remember the last time I had hit a tree. I believe it was due too tired legs, I use an aqua track (good leg building) on the days I don't play, and with some rain in the area, used the track four straight days, hadn't done that in several months. I better get over it and get that snap back on the practice field tomorrow. Tuesday thru Friday will be playing multiple rounds each day, haven't done that in almost a year when I played 7 straight days. I hope I'm not dragging my behind.

Yesterday I got to get in plenty of golf.

I got in a round and a half against my friend Mark, lost $5 to him total. Had some rough breaks - gave up 4 strokes on two late holes during the first round on basket rollaways that cost me a couple. Tied the overall. And then poor putting on the last two holes of the next half of a round got him ahead of me at the end. Gotta get on my practice baskets again, been too long.

Then got to play a disc golf weekend event at a park nearby. They're hoping to install 18. The event had 9 holes that could be a part of the final design and 4 ace run holes. The actual holes were a lot of fun. Got in a few casual run throughs and then played a quick round for score on my own.

The battle to let myself throw freely on shots I haven't seen is really tough. But having played Sanctuary last week I definitely slid into it quicker. And it didn't hurt that the shots were fun. The guy who designed the layout seems to have a good idea how to set up blue level holes. I enjoyed myself a lot.

Hopeful that he gets this all in permanently. Railside Disc Golf Course at Passive Park, in Milbury, Ohio.

It'd definitely be inside of my regular layouts if it goes in, at 30 mins away. It would be the best course, if the other 9 are as solid as these 9, in that range for me.

Also I bought a Landmine from the "garage sale" fundraiser at the event. Because it looked fucking stupid.

And it is. It is really stupid.

I am happy with my purchase.