• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Mako, Star Sanny, Star Dart, Pro Boss

dgdave said:
The release for these are the 19th. Does that mean they will be shipped to retailers on the 19th or they will be ready to buy at retailers on the 19th?
I think it goes.... duck duck duck duck duck.. LUCKY DUCK, your shipment arrived on release date.

There were times when we at Innova South got things before or after release date, effectively making the TX/OK dates a crapshoot. (there is now only east and west)

Innova uses UPS btw, so it might come down to which zone a dealer falls under... I don't think Innova puts too much effort into staggering shipments like that.

The Star San Marino Rocs are just way too domey for me...I'll stick with the flat DX Roc. The Star San Marinos I've held are super domey...almost feeling like Comets.

I kinda like the new domey star sannies. They have more glide and are a little less stable than the old ones.

I have also been throwing a pro boss for fun and it is real domey and kinda stable but is already starting to break in. It has some good distance and glide to it. If they make the regular production ones as domey as the one I have than they might take the place of my wraiths.

Frank Delicious said:
I have also been throwing a pro boss for fun and it is real domey and kinda stable but is already starting to break in. It has some good distance and glide to it. If they make the regular production ones as domey as the one I have than they might take the place of my wraiths.
This is what I wanted to hear. Hopefully these will be like faster 1st run Pro Destroyers. I have one USDGC Boss on the way. I'll see how they compare to the stock ones next week.

dgdave said:
Frank Delicious said:
This is what I wanted to hear. Hopefully these will be like faster 1st run Pro Destroyers. I have one USDGC Boss on the way. I'll see how they compare to the stock ones next week.

That pretty much describes the ones I've thrown (black v.o. ones). The rim feels a tiny bit smaller as well, but I still can't get a good release with them. Rim is just too big for my tiny hands. A lot of people around here were all about the boss when it came out.....now most are back to the pro destroyer for distance.

Anyone else go to the usdgc and try these 4 discs out? I almost grabbed a star dart, but I just couldn't do it for some reason. I liked the r-pro version. I'm guessing the stars will kill the glide and add to much stability. This would kill the mold.

also the star Mako is nothing special to me. It throws like some weird coyote/shark/skeeter combo. Unlike the coyote which holds a straight line this thing always S curved on me. I couldn't ever figure out how much turn it would have on it, admittedly though, I didn't exactly try it a ton of times.

My friend who throws buzzes though really likes it for it's workability at lower speeds.

TeamTollandDG said:
dgdave said:
Frank Delicious said:

That pretty much describes the ones I've thrown (black v.o. ones). The rim feels a tiny bit smaller as well, but I still can't get a good release with them. Rim is just too big for my tiny hands. A lot of people around here were all about the boss when it came out.....now most are back to the pro destroyer for distance.

I'm excited about this disc. I love my stable Champ Bosses for stable D, but I have come to the conclusion that the Stars get squirrely as soon as they lose stability. Because of this they do not make great max D discs. A broken in domey pro Boss will be much better. Pro Wraiths and pro Destroyers blow away their more durable brethren as pure distance discs, there's no reason that this would be any different with the Boss mold.

Frank Delicious said:
also the star Mako is nothing special to me. It throws like some weird coyote/shark/skeeter combo. Unlike the coyote which holds a straight line this thing always S curved on me. I couldn't ever figure out how much turn it would have on it, admittedly though, I didn't exactly try it a ton of times.

My friend who throws buzzes though really likes it for it's workability at lower speeds.

You should tell your friend to try a Meteor...S flights at mid distances are best left to broken in fwy drivers imo.

discspeed said:
I love my stable Champ Bosses for stable D, but I have come to the conclusion that the Stars get squirrely as soon as they lose stability.

Unfortunately true. Seems that even after the tiniest nick in my Star Bosses they flip with when thrown with any power. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I've been through six Star Bosses and had the same result. Very excited about the Pro Boss, especially if it's as stable as the light Star Bosses.

Held and saw a friend throw a Mako he brought back from USDGC the other day. It was fairly stable in the sense that with a touch of hyzer it flipped flat and locked on all the way to the ground with only a slight fade, maybe 6-10 ft right to left on a 275' or so throw. Flew like a seasoned DX Roc from what I could tell, also feels very comfy in the hand, but I doubt I would add it to the bag.

dgdave said:
Did he make any comparisons to a buzzz or comet by chance? Did it handle any wind?
Nope on the comparisons, he is a Roc thrower. It flew straight, but we were in the woods, not much wind. It was too straight for what he wanted when he did throw it, the hole requires an easy hyzer but it flattened and ran into a tree 3/4 of the way there.

nice drive kid said:
discspeed said:
I love my stable Champ Bosses for stable D, but I have come to the conclusion that the Stars get squirrely as soon as they lose stability.

Unfortunately true. Seems that even after the tiniest nick in my Star Bosses they flip with when thrown with any power. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I've been through six Star Bosses and had the same result. Very excited about the Pro Boss, especially if it's as stable as the light Star Bosses.

weren't (aren't) the light Star Bosses very overstable? at least compared to the heavier ones?

Well discgolfcenter.com is now stocked with these new items.

I just purchased two Pro Bosses myself :mrgreen:

I just got in a USDGC Pro Boss and its poppy toppy. The plastic is shiny, swirly, and stiff. I like it a lot. Of course as soon as the mail ran, it started raining.

I threw the Mako last night. I want to compare it to a comet, but it doesn't have that glidey look to it's flight like a Comet. I would say fast Dart. The guy who let me throw his had a dart, and they look like similar rim configurations. It's very comfortable in the hand, and closer to a buzz in speed. I bet a lot of people will compare it to a buzz, but it's like a faster putter to me.

Dave, I heard some guys who got those USDGC Bosses say that they turn into flip city once they hit stuff.

Furthur said:
Dave, I heard some guys who got those USDGC Bosses say that they turn into flip city once they hit stuff.

People hit trees with pro plastic? The vibram open pro boss I got months ago was made out of the nice durable pro plastic, I've hit a street on a record drive once and it didn't get scuff'd up much. I very seldom throw pro plastic at trees.