• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sticking to one company

I find this notion that one is "cheating themselves" if they don't throw a mixed bag a false narrative if for no other reason than it puts too much emphasis on the 'arrow' and not the 'archer'.

One could argue that consciously throwing only one company's discs does the same thing, perhaps more so. Saying it has to be Company X and no other seems to put more emphasis on the "arrow" than saying it doesn't matter what company makes the disc as long as it flies.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that everyone should absolutely throw a mixed bag. If you get to a point where you have a one-company bag organically and it works, so be it. More power to you. No sense in aiming for that end right from the start, though.

I think throwing mixed puts way more emphasis on the archer's ability to select and customize what they throw based on how well they know their own game. It takes a good archer to select the right arrows.

I've been bagging only Prodigy for a while now, and I'll defend my case thusly…Prodigy just makes disc selection and replacement less of a hassle for me,not to mention they put an end to having to cycle or beat in discs...

I'm curious as to why you think this statement is valid.
I've never seen a disc that didn't get beat in over time, though I've only ever cycled 2 discs out [that I consistently used] due to being too worn to fly accurately.

Prodigy just makes disc selection and replacement less of a hassle for me, not to mention they put an end to having to cycle or beat in discs

Do you throw your prodigy discs? He must keep all those prodigy discs with extra flashing on the wall.

^^^Oops, got interrupted on #43 before I could edit.

Mostly my discs cycle themselves out---in the lake, river, blackberries, etc. :(

Just added a DD driver to my bag, which to then was composed of Innova, Discraft, Lat 64, and DGA. Have had some Lightning, Gateway and Vibram for a stretch.
Tried Prodigy---it couldn't make the cut. :\

Last edited:
As a new player wondering what the heck discs to buy and try, I was perplexed. The kid at the disc told me I needed an Innova Boss because it would go forever, but I knew just enough to realize that that wasn't right. I picked up a few slower Discraft discs and started there. When I wanted more discs, I stayed with Discraft because had a sense of the line and how other molds compared to the ones I already had — more or less stable, faster or slower.

Over time, I've found a number of discs (mostly Innova) with no name or phone number, so I've learned to play with these and some of them I use every day. If I lost one of these I'd probably replace it with the same.

All in all, though, I probably have too many discs and too many options. I could probably help myself by carrying fewer discs and learning to throw those few better. So, I'm probably not going to go out and try a bunch of discs from all the other manufacturers, but if some fell into my hands, I wouldn't be averse to trying them.

Mostly my discs cycle themselves out---in the lake, river, blackberries, etc. :(

Just added a DD driver to my bag, which to then was composed of Innova, Discraft, Lat 64, and DGA. Have had some Lightning, Gateway and Vibram for a stretch.

Alas, good golf discs never die, they just don't fade.

I find this notion that one is "cheating themselves" if they don't throw a mixed bag a false narrative if for no other reason than it puts too much emphasis on the 'arrow' and not the 'archer'.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Don't feel bad, their team (allegedly) is the same way :|

Is there any sort of consistencies in a players game when they stick with one company? Or is it necessary to switch up because there are certain discs that just aren't replicated? I've played with people who carry only one company and I've played with people who have 5 different companies. I've recently thought about playing with only prodigy (never heard anything bad about the company). What are everyone's thought?

Lol you obviously don't read these forums enough :D ....
Anyways, its kind of stupid to stick with one company unless you are sponsored by them, there is just too many companies out there with different things to not try them all and throw what fits your game. I like the idea of "the Trilogy" though bc its 3 companies together so you can surely find something out of all three companies to fit your game.

Anyways, its kind of stupid to stick with one company unless you are sponsored by them, there is just too many companies out there with different things to not try them all and throw what fits your game. I like the idea of "the Trilogy" though bc its 3 companies together so you can surely find something out of all three companies to fit your game.

Isn't it just one(lat 64°) plastic company making three companies discs? So it's pretty much innova or discraft status with how many molds there are with the same plastic?

Isn't it just one(lat 64°) plastic company making three companies discs? So it's pretty much innova or discraft status with how many molds there are with the same plastic?

Yeah Lat64 molds the discs for them but its each companies own designed discs. (If that makes sense)

I disagree.

Last season, I decided to only throw Innova.

I cut down on the options I could put in my bag, so I spent less time wondering about what I *could* throw and just threw what fit the slots in my bag.

We spend so much time on here talking about what's new and great and what we should buy next, when we should all just be throwing what works.

Theres a reason that everyone is trying to replicate the Teebird.

Innova has tons of options, but if you look at their lineup, there's a consistent theme through what their pros throw and what really makes sense.

(Destroyer, Teebird, Roc, Aviar) It's a classic lineup that works.

Obviously, you should throw whatever the heck you feel like, but anything you can do to dial in your mental game and ease your disc selection is a good thing.

^you could add Firebird to that list. Virtually every Innova sponsored player seems to carry one.

^you could add Firebird to that list. Virtually every Innova sponsored player seems to carry one.

That's very true. I left off the over and understable complements you see a lot. But honestly, going down to one company was really, really good for my game.

It made it more about execution and less about making excuses that "I just need to find the right disc."

I throw all Innova because that's what I'm familiar with and what I also own a lot of.

Over the years, you find molds you like and stick with them. And stock up on them.

I didn't plan to throw all innova and I'm no fanboy, its just hard to justify spending so much money replacing all the discs I already love and know how to throw.

I don't think there's any reason to bag only one company unless that company sponsors you. There are many good discs from a lot of different companies that work for different people, so I recommend fondling different discs at a local disc shop or when guys are selling discs at a park to see what you like. Trying discs you've never throw that friends have can help you find new discs you may like also. Reading threads/posting on here will help with finding discs for certain slots in your bag. I personally throw all Innova because that's what I know best & is what I've been using since I started playing disc golf. I have tried A LOT of discs from many companies but I just like to stick with what I know. I do bag some Discmania discs & Discmania is associated with Innova. Innova & Discmania has more than enough options for me to cover all the slots in my bag. I have a lot of backups for molds I've come to like, I don't see a need to go out & spend money on new discs because I already have discs that I've enjoyed using for years. I don't know what it is but I feel more confident throwing just Innova & Discmania. I think a major reason I don't bag a lot of different companies discs is I like to limit my options to some degree, which makes my disc choices easier. I also started disc golfing at a time when Discraft & Innova rained supreme & were pretty much the only options at local stores. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

That's very true. I left off the over and understable complements you see a lot. But honestly, going down to one company was really, really good for my game.

It made it more about execution and less about making excuses that "I just need to find the right disc."

I have been focusing more on a general slot and what will fit in that slot best.

Now having said that, I've been playing new courses every week, so there are more slots I have to fill. I have four slots for ultra long range, four slots for fairways, four slots for midrange and one putter in one plastic.

They are from a handful of companies, and I like that I have the option of any mold I want to throw. It has definitely made my game more consistent. I know what works best for me for each of the slots after spending a lot of money, but I'm enjoying my rounds more now.

I went all discraft for almost a year and it was just as good, because you stick to one disc long enough to learn it fully. People always get bored with what they have and don't commit to a disc long enough to learn it.

I have been focusing more on a general slot and what will fit in that slot best.

Now having said that, I've been playing new courses every week, so there are more slots I have to fill. I have four slots for ultra long range, four slots for fairways, four slots for midrange and one putter in one plastic.

They are from a handful of companies, and I like that I have the option of any mold I want to throw. It has definitely made my game more consistent. I know what works best for me for each of the slots after spending a lot of money, but I'm enjoying my rounds more now.

I went all discraft for almost a year and it was just as good, because you stick to one disc long enough to learn it fully. People always get bored with what they have and don't commit to a disc long enough to learn it.

Discraft is a tough company to do that with, as their fairway lineup isn't great. Their lineup (at least their flagship models) tend to be based on power.

If you have four slots per, you could easily do that with Innova:

XCal
Destroyer
Tern
Vulcan

Banshee/Firebird
Teebird
TL
Leopard

Gator
Roc3
Mako3