• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Straightest and longest flying disc for tunnel shots

Longest flying laserbeam disc for me is a beat in Teebird. All other drivers have a bit of left to right movement no matter how you throw them and with a 15ft wide tunnel there isn't much room for error.

In reality I throw a Wizard for these shots because a slightly beat in Wizard just doesn't move side to side and it's a lot more forgiving than a driver. You throw it nice and flat and it will fly straight for as long as you can throw it. It's my go-to disc when throwing hole 4 at BRP, for example.

If I have more room to work with and I want to get maximum distance I will use a very beat in Destroyer that I have. It is one of the starlite molds from about 5 years ago so it started out very overstable but has had most of its fade beaten out of it without losing too much of the high speed stability. I can throw it flat or maybe on a tiny anhyzer and it will go pretty darn straight for a very long ways. Definitely doesn't fly like the usual beat in Destroyers that like to dance side to side more. The shot is very difficult to execute correctly though because you don't have to be too far off in your release angle for it to fly a very different line.

450' tunnel that tight? Axis at 80%, beat N Envy upshot, putt for the 3.

If I felt like really trying, crave hard and flat then a 50-60' putt (ideally, though I think more often then not I'd not risk going into the crap).

Anode or Aviar for <200', hyzer flip a Core for 250'-300'. Vision for 300'-350' with no wind, or lazer beam a beat Striker if there's any kind of wind. I can get less than 5' side to side movement on a perfect throw with any of those discs. I don't trust any high speed discs to hold a tight line in a tunnel, too speed sensitive and usually too much fade and skip at the end.

If it's a tight tunnel, but going over top is clear, I'll overhand a XXX.

My first disc, a CE Teebird in the L mold. Of todays discs since no one has mentioned it I'll give a nod to the Innova Mamba.

Here's a good hole as an example, in the new pin position it's 350' with a tight tunnel then slight fade left at the end.

45c00013.jpg

I have equal success getting within 30' of the basket hyzer flipping a Vision, throwing a Striker hard and flat, or going over the top with a XXX.

G star thunderbird. Flat and it'll go straight. Lesser distance I'd go with my nice well worn champ teebird. It has the tiniest bit of high speed turn. I'll throw it flat on the left side of the fairway. Let it turn over just a bit, straighten out and glide. It'll fade a bit at the end and should finish in the center or slightly left on the fairway. And lesser distance then that I'd throw slightly used atlas. Straight as a arrow. And less then that I'd throw a nova. Also super straight.

Here's a good hole as an example, in the new pin position it's 350' with a tight tunnel then slight fade left at the end.

45c00013.jpg

I have equal success getting within 30' of the basket hyzer flipping a Vision, throwing a Striker hard and flat, or going over the top with a XXX.

I would throw the Icon Gauge for this shot all day long.

Mmmm yeah I remember this hole. I only played Brent Hambrick once, so I don't remember this hole number but I do remember throwing a Roc on it and parking it. It was a satisfying tee shot.

Depending on hole length and the importance of avoiding a 4
Eraser Wizard
or
Dx Roc
or
Fly High Jack the Ripper
or
Slight beat G* Teebird
or
an Escape . The Escape is underrated for this shot

I've thrown some nice 400'+ lasers with a vip sword. That disc is sorely underrated. Champ glow leopard is also very nice.

Mmmm yeah I remember this hole. I only played Brent Hambrick once, so I don't remember this hole number but I do remember throwing a Roc on it and parking it. It was a satisfying tee shot.

It's hole 17, old pin position was about 300', they have moved it farther back and left a bit to tuck it behind a group of trees. In the short position I always threw my core and parked it every time I hit the gap.

It's hole 17, old pin position was about 300', they have moved it farther back and left a bit to tuck it behind a group of trees. In the short position I always threw my core and parked it every time I hit the gap.

When did they move it? I think I played it in fall of 2012. I remember it wasn't really a straight shot but some tricky shallow hyzer where you had to flip the disc up just right and let it carry left gently.

Sorry for derailing this awesome thread.

I would have two options if trying to get near the basket. A.) power down on my broken in Trespass and throw it flat. Flies like an arrow if I hit it just right or B.) hyzerflip my goldline Saint Pro and get a little left to right movement and try to park it.

at my local course you've got a couple similar holes described:

hole 4 is 377ft and has a 12-15ft tunnel that eventually opens up to 30-40ft after about 280ft...the long position hole 377ft ends up on a hill towards the left while the short is 320ft straight down the gut.

ff9b3fbc.jpg

ba7a48b3.jpg

so it does reward throwing a straight driver shot. the pro players usually throw some fast drivers like a destroyer or beefy teebird like the brinster bird. You can also throw a mid or putter straight and hit that open area 280ft down then go for that par3.

I love the idea of throwing a midrange or putter but I'd need a little height to get it there and then you start getting huge kicks if you hit a tree (and now looking at saving a bogey). If you throw a straight driver 10ft off the ground then even if it hits a tree its not going to go super far away

being a lefty I try throwing a tern straight and letting the natural turn happen to fade left hit if it gets through the gap to long position on top of the hill on the left for any chance at a birdie. eventually I'd like to see if I can throw a sidearm to get a more natural fade to the left on the long tee, but then again its seems like throwing a sidearm might need a little more room that my newbie sidearm just doesn't have long straight shots in it yet.

a guy made a video of it and he kills the hole using a beast to get through that tunnel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINZcWwlfu4#t=69

Wow.. that is tight. You dont have much room from the pad to the tunnel, so not much time to flip up from hyzer.

I would definitely try a Felon in the long pin. If you ace your run up I think you're OK.

If that doesnt work, or if its in the short pin I'd try to snap a Claymore through there.

edit : im a righty, mostly rhbh for the record.

When did they move it? I think I played it in fall of 2012. I remember it wasn't really a straight shot but some tricky shallow hyzer where you had to flip the disc up just right and let it carry left gently.

Sorry for derailing this awesome thread.

They've moved it twice since then :) 2013 it went back another ~30' and to the right making it a dead straight shot. Then last year they moved it ~50' to the left and a bit farther back from there and tucked it behind some trees.

Some pins usually stay the same all the time, others get moved a couple times a year with 2 or 3 different locations. Since the course is back on the NT they've been trying to make some holes more difficult.

RunningDoc, that looks more like a 5' tunnel, I think I'd go with my XXX forehand roller and pray :)