• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strateegery: Approach

Suspect on a slight anny and nose up. The nose up slows it down and when the disc comes out of the anny it will go straight for a little and just drop (hopefully in the chains). I used to use a Rhyno for this until I got my hands on a Suspect.

Rhyno power. Slight hyzer...stick it in the chains. If not, it's a Rhyno....it is going to stick where it land past the basket.

Putter all the way. My fresher Mercy, thrown with a slight hyzer to the right and a finish for a tap in.

IMHO-The Mercy is the most underrated disc in Lats lineup. Try one in the ZeroHard plastic it is worth the $12.

My approach is the best part of my game, I rarely throw a mid, so I can cover a lot of shots/distances ( I will use something other than my putter if it is windy though) with my go to Mercy.

A experienced player once told me to "Let the disc do the work" instead of trying to manipulate the throw to force the disc to do other wise when the shot permits it. I always think about this and my throw taking the path of least resistance.

Last edited:
If we're talking nice grass around the pin, I'm hyzering a sentinel right at it. Any chance of skipping or sliding and I'm making a slow run at it with a nova or polecat.

Run it with an aviar!

Miss!

Make the 15-20' come-backer!

slight hyzer with my wizard.

usually on a shot like this, being wide open with calm wind, anything landing outside of 20ft would be considered a bad shot.

The 150ft range is a problem range for me this year. After not playing for 6-7 months the short game was the first thing to go out the window surprisingly.

I would throw a Wizard straight at it... If I'm not feeling confident in the shot, I will just throw a soft spike hyzer with a Firebird. I am usually very accurate at ranging spike hyzers out to about 240-250. With 150ft distance I would be upset if I don't land a spike within 10-15ft of the pin. The only reason to throw a Wizard is to give it a better chance to go in.

Nova either way. If I'm laying up I'm just going straight at it. If I'm feeling really squirrly I'll throw a high, floaty shot slightly right of the pin and let it stall and fade right at it. Nova has a great tendency to just die if thrown this way and the comeback won't be long if (when) i miss.

... just throw a soft spike hyzer with a Firebird. I am usually very accurate at ranging spike hyzers out to about 240-250. With 150ft distance I would be upset if I don't land a spike within 10-15ft of the pin. The only reason to throw a Wizard is to give it a better chance to go in.

Good point. A lot of people probably overlook this shot (here especially on this forum) which is probably one of the most reliable shot to take. Distance isn't always the biggest factor IMO when throwing X disc for Y shot.

throwing a driver on a 200'+ line when you can throw your putter 300'+ sometimes just makes more sense even if it seems insane and you are stepping back to the old days of 1 high speed disc for every shot. :p

Like in Feldbergs recent in the bag where he states the trident is a crutch b/c it just is so much easier to throw than a OS mid with confidence to hit the line all day and doesn't go far at all. Could he use a putter? Sure but like you said the only reason you throw a wizard is the same reason he is likely running the basket also not shooting for placement.

How you approach a basket and attempt to MAKE up-shots are two way different things. :thmbup:

Either a buzz with a little hyzer or what I've been having success with lately to thumbing my KC Whippet right at it and as long as it doesn't roll I'm parked.

calm/no wind: beat max weight N envy, flat throw, aimed at the right half of the chains

slight/moderate wind: max weight P envy, slight anny, aimed at left half of chains.

my approach game has improved greatly from this disc and strategy

A Hyzer is the high percentage shot.

Either with a fresh somewhat OS putter.

Or a really OS fairway/control. Like a FAF Firebird.

Latest posts