• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Switching putters, need HELP!

Jbultman

Birdie Member
I have decided after playing (throwing and putting) with the P2 for about a year. That I need a change. I started out liking the P2 but, as I played with it and my throw (both putting and throwing) progressed the P2 started ... Ehh, basically I don't care for the depth and fade.
Anyway, The P2 is the only putter I've used and I've been considering trying another putter or two to figure out IF the P2 what I should be using or if I should make the switch.

I've been looking at other putters that are not as deep as the P2, have more glide for my spush putts and I have the ability to throw 250ish and in, so will have the ability to handle a little torque. I like to putt straight at the basket and don't like compensating for the fade. Oh I don't care for beads, they just feel weird to me, micro beads will have to just come down to feeling the disc. One thing I do like about my P2 is how thick and sturdy it feels in hand (as opposed to the Aviar)

Although I haven't made it down to the shop to feel and touch. I've been liking my dd drivers and plastics A TON recently and have been looking at... The Deputy, Marshal and Warden.
Thoughts? Opinions? Overall Suggestions to look at and check out?

Thanks!

Maybe try an XD. Certainly shallower grip than the P2, and should be good up to the 250' distance you specify. The more recent versions (XD+) have nice dome and should give the glide that you're looking for on the spush. The XD is very neutral, I think -1/+1 flight numbers are fair for throwing over 100' or so, but at putting distances the XD is really just pretty dang straight.

What material are your P2's?

When you say "thick and sturdy" hand feel is preferred, sounds like a material selection issue. For DX and Pro plastics, there are firmer and softer varieties that greatly affect the hand feel. Sounds like you would want the firmer variety. That's really something you have to feel for yourself in person. Star and Champion plastics are more robust and should feel very sturdy in the hand, but they might not give as much grip. (They will also take longer to break in.) For putters and mids I really like XT, which is a pro blend that is very firm/stiff but also has great grip.

Beadless suggestions: Aviar, deputy, magic, warlock, Pure(beadless and shallow) the Steady is now offered in a beadless variant, Roach, you could checknout the P1 since you're clearly a DM fan and there will be a host of other suggestions. Good luck!

^Chally is big bead! Magnet however...

Check out a Dart, they tend to be domey, but plenty of glide and really great for driving. I would also suggest checking out an Aviar P&A, they always feel shallower to me compared to the P2, but I always reach for P-Line vs R-Pro

^Chally is big bead! Magnet however...

I beg to differ, it's definitely small bead. The Focus has a big bead.

OP - if you're looking for less depth and more glide than a P2, give the classic aviar a try. Very straight point and shoot disc at a lot of ranges. I think the warden and warlock would have too much fade, especially if you're looking for less than a P2.

I have decided after playing (throwing and putting) with the P2 for about a year. That I need a change. I started out liking the P2 but, as I played with it and my throw (both putting and throwing) progressed the P2 started ... Ehh, basically I don't care for the depth and fade.
Anyway, The P2 is the only putter I've used and I've been considering trying another putter or two to figure out IF the P2 what I should be using or if I should make the switch.

I've been looking at other putters that are not as deep as the P2, have more glide for my spush putts and I have the ability to throw 250ish and in, so will have the ability to handle a little torque. I like to putt straight at the basket and don't like compensating for the fade. Oh I don't care for beads, they just feel weird to me, micro beads will have to just come down to feeling the disc. One thing I do like about my P2 is how thick and sturdy it feels in hand (as opposed to the Aviar)

Although I haven't made it down to the shop to feel and touch. I've been liking my dd drivers and plastics A TON recently and have been looking at... The Deputy, Marshal and Warden.

Thanks!

I'd suggest the Warden. Beadless (the Marshal has a small bead and is a wee tad stable), very straight (especially after use), has good glide, and has availability. The Classic Warden was my putting putter until the Marshal came out in Classic plastic.

I beg to differ, it's definitely small bead. The Focus has a big bead.

OP - if you're looking for less depth and more glide than a P2, give the classic aviar a try. Very straight point and shoot disc at a lot of ranges. I think the warden and warlock would have too much fade, especially if you're looking for less than a P2.

Damn really? I haven't held one in the better part of a decade I guess my memory is a bit rusty. One of the reasons you'll never see me post about them on here - won't pretend I'm real familiar with throwing them or their flight.

Have you tried any MVP putters. If you like a more Svelt feel the Atom or Proxy could be good. Also the Anode could be good if you like that bigger depth.

Also maybe a Warlock or Magic.

Damn really? I haven't held one in the better part of a decade I guess my memory is a bit rusty. One of the reasons you'll never see me post about them on here - won't pretend I'm real familiar with throwing them or their flight.

It's definitely more Omega than KC Aviar. They did just release a BB variant though.

Have you tried any MVP putters. If you like a more Svelt feel the Atom or Proxy could be good. Also the Anode could be good if you like that bigger depth.

I switched from Aviars to E Atoms for putting for the lower profile and haven't looked back. Envy, Atom and Proxy are all great throwers as well. I believe they share the same core and feel relatively the same in hand to me.

Maybe look at a Pure...it's not low profile completely but not deep. Very neutral, but in the way that's almost more of a Buzzz like neutral rather than the Aviar style of just straight straight straight. I don't think it's crazy torque resistant but since it likes to kind of pop up a bit and push straight, it's easier for me to throw without torque because you can use a touch of hyzer and know it will do its thing rather than trying to hit the flat line perfectly and have it hold. I also think Wardens feel very good in the hand, a bit more of a normal putter size though. They fly straight too.

Thanks!

Now that MVP has the baseline version of the Envy you could try that. Or the Atom. I putted with the medium Atom for 2 years and switched to the P2 because I wanted a slightly slower disc, little more depth, and a touch more fade.

Seems like you are using the P2 and wanted exactly the opposite, the Atom/Envy might be for you.

Warden might also fit the bill as some said, and there are JK avairs as well (can't remember if they are beaded, but they feel nice to throw at least).

Lastly don't throw away the possibility of putting with one mold and throwing another.

Maybe try an XD.
...What material are your P2's?...
I'll take a look at the XD and XD+. My P2s both main throwing (x2) and putting are D-line. I will occasionally put a s-line in or even c-line if the weather deems it... I like how stiff they feel and rim thickness as compared to the aviar.

Check out a Dart, they tend to be domey, but plenty of glide and really great for driving. I would also suggest checking out an Aviar P&A, they always feel shallower to me compared to the P2, but I always reach for P-Line vs R-Pro
I've always considered the Dart as a thrower. More 250 and in. Never really threw or held one though. After feeling up a buddies aviar I think the difference is not necessarly the depth, but much rather the thickness of the rim and that's what makes it feel "sturdy" to me. Plus d-line feels a little stiffer than dx...

I'd suggest the Warden. Beadless (the Marshal has a small bead and is a wee tad stable), very straight (especially after use), has good glide, and has availability. The Classic Warden was my putting putter until the Marshal came out in Classic plastic.
I prefer to put with base plastic. How different is the classic from d-line?

...Lastly don't throw away the possibility of putting with one mold and throwing another.

I always thrown the same mold, idk it feels constant to me to keep it the same

I switched from Aviars to E Atoms for putting for the lower profile and haven't looked back. Envy, Atom and Proxy are all great throwers as well. I believe they share the same core and feel relatively the same in hand to me.

I'm on Atoms as well, they make me much more confident

Well, it's not micro like a Truth or Verdict. It's looks wide but still a very shallow bead. Great family of putters OP.
ChallengerSS, Challenger & ChallengerOS:
attachment.php

What you want is the CLASSIC aviar. Sturdy, stiffer plastic, firm rim, firm flight plate. Flies very straight, can handle power. Good for spin and push putting, very straight out to about 50' for me then it will fade a little. Takes a long time to beat in to flippy, but if you can manage it it's a great stable to understable cycle.

Latest posts