• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

A little Comet love: I was able to put my Comet on a perfect Anny within the circle in front of McBeth during a practice round on hole 11 at WR Jackson.

While waiting at hole 12, I watched as he put his shot closer. Still a highlight I won't ever forget.

We were also both wearing New Balances. Let's start an other thread for New Balance love!

It's funny to tell the story to the young guys at work, because the pros don't seem real life to them. I may not be Discraft Underground, but the guys at work will try my used Discraft just from my stories. Discraft is hard to find around here. Another thing I like to tell the younger guys is MJ shreds wooded courses with Discraft. They sometimes state how much trouble wooded courses give them, and they are anxious to try Discraft.

Just glad I was finally able to make it back down to stoney hill, bee way to long since I was last there. Did really enjoy the format you put together for this event. Made for lots of fun and good times with the variety of play

It makes for a refreshing break from the every-weekend division-play routine. I wish it was run more, elsewhere, so I could play without working. The IDGC used to run it and a couple of years ago said they were going to push more team play, then dropped it.

It doesn't put money in pros' pockets, I know, which is why we were honored that you'd give up a weekend to do it. Though if you ever aspire to a reputation as a cold dollar-chasing pro disc golfer, I'm not sure things like this will help.

I guess this is more of a Discraft thing than just a Comet, but I have been thinking about this a bit more recently...

I having been using the Magnet as my putter for most of my 20 years of playing even though it seems as if many other Discraft throwers do not.

I also tried and gave up with throwing the seemingly more popular Buzzz and now have a Truth in it's place. Is my style really that different than the masses or am I just going crazy?

I guess this is more of a Discraft thing than just a Comet, but I have been thinking about this a bit more recently...

I having been using the Magnet as my putter for most of my 20 years of playing even though it seems as if many other Discraft throwers do not.

I also tried and gave up with throwing the seemingly more popular Buzzz and now have a Truth in it's place. Is my style really that different than the masses or am I just going crazy?

I've also wondered why none of the top Discraft pros putt with magnets. Although I do admit I think it comes down to feel, and many people don't like how the magnet sits in their hands.

Midranges are a funny thing. If a truth works for you, don't sweat it. I've tried the buzzz on and off. I've pretty much stuck to just comets and wasps now. Beads don't bother me.

I think there are a lot less top pros that spin putt these days. I always thought the magnet lended itself to that style more. Since Cam Todd moved over and Discraft made the challenger, I think there's been a shift in how top pros putt, thanks to Cam's influence.

Of course, a lot of it is personal preference anyway, so I might be theorizing on something that never mattered in the first place.

Hey MJ,

Just a random question for no reason...

What Discraft putter is equivalent to a McPro Galactic Aviar?

Thanks, man, I'm a huge fan!

Hey MJ,

Just a random question for no reason...

What Discraft putter is equivalent to a McPro Galactic Aviar?

Thanks, man, I'm a huge fan!

I got no clue one that one. Never thrown or actually even felt one of those before. Sorry I'm not much help on that one

MJ,

I know at one time you were throwing the Heat and the Mantis. What made you favor the Mantis over the Heat. Also does the Heat ever make it back into your bag? Thanks!

That's my current battle right now too. It's basically vulture vs undertaker and heat vs mantis. Trying to figure it out. They are all great moles.

That's my current battle right now too. It's basically vulture vs undertaker and heat vs mantis. Trying to figure it out. They are all great moles.

I love the Heat and I Just picked up a mantis but have yet to throw it. I'm very curious about the undertaker vs vulture.

The mantis is a bit slower and shorter than the heat, and can handle a bit more power, but will still hyzerflip or anny.

The vulture it's basically a beat predator that goes a tick farther than the undertaker, but can handle more power. The undertaker requires less power for more straight finesse shots.

Tough call!

The mantis is a bit slower and shorter than the heat, and can handle a bit more power, but will still hyzerflip or anny.

The vulture it's basically a beat predator that goes a tick farther than the undertaker, but can handle more power. The undertaker requires less power for more straight finesse shots.

Tough call!

The Mantis is my go to tomahawk disc since I lost my beat up trusty eagle. Haven't thrown a vulture yet.

The Mantis is my go to tomahawk disc since I lost my beat up trusty eagle.

While I do mourn the loss of your trusty Eagle, the change is for the best.

Between Crystal Sparkles, Ace Race Ti (still readily found if searched for), and a wide range of weights for X, this mold covers it all.

Try thumbing a 150 class X in a stiff tailwind. You'll be in for a treat.

I love using a beat up X Heat for overhands in the woods. Cant say i've tried the mantis for that shot.

I would love to hear MJ chime in on when he decides to use the Heat vs Mantis? Or has the Undertaker taken over his heat spot in the bag?