• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Definition of a Rec Player

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was just wondering about something. Is it alright to play Rec, even though you have been playing for years?

The reason I ask, is I don't play in tournaments very often. I have been in the sport for over 4 years, but I only play once every 1-2 weeks, if that. So even though my years say that I might be good, I don't think I should have to play intermediate with guys that play 2-4 times a week. I don't want to look like a bagger, but I also don't want to play and come in last every time either. What do you think I should do? I just want to hear some opinions on this.

I played for 5 years before I played in a tourney. The first ones I played were unsanctioned and I played in AMs, this is where I still am today. In PDGA events I played once in Rec and then moved to AM2. I have a feeling that you and I would drive and land next to each other on the course often (this is not a sexual innuendo). Play rec first. I bet you will find that you will want a bit more of a challenge. I would not blame you a bit if you tried rec.

Tournament divisions are not about how many times a week someone plays. Obviously you can have 975 rated guys that only play once a week.

At the Kingwood and Moffitt PDGA tournaments you played back in 2008 you were playing 850 golf. That was three years ago. IIRC you did really well at a recent Ice Bowl in the Red or White division.

If you're still playing at the same level you were three years ago then REC/MA3 is probably what you should be playing.

I was just wondering about something. Is it alright to play Rec, even though you have been playing for years?

The reason I ask, is I don't play in tournaments very often. I have been in the sport for over 4 years, but I only play once every 1-2 weeks, if that. So even though my years say that I might be good, I don't think I should have to play intermediate with guys that play 2-4 times a week. I don't want to look like a bagger, but I also don't want to play and come in last every time either. What do you think I should do? I just want to hear some opinions on this.

Is that what I have to look forward to?

Rec?

Intermediate?

I take it those are tournament classes?

I'm thinking that you have the best answer to your question...

I'm reading because I am in your boat and I'm headed toward tournament play myself. I have never played in a tournament. I have no idea what the "RULES" are regarding lay, what to do if I want to pick up and throw the disc that I just threw. Who goes first next basket, that sort of thing. I play by a stringent set of good rules based on ball golf that I have set for myself.

So I'm interested in the answers too.

Thanks for asking.

I think i am a rec player but from what others say on my drives i should be in intermediate. I think i am still rec because i cannot put pass 20ft consistently and tend to have troubles forming my lines in my throws. All in all i think rec player is someone who has a general understanding of the game but not the rules. A rec player goes under causal terms and does not have the skills or performance like the the upper classes. I have no idea what a rec player is in a tournament yet. I will find out at the Halloween Classic.

I started out at Rec then moved up to AM2 the second year. I'm still coming in near the back of the pack but it helps to play with better players.

If you're really concerned, look up results from past events and pick your division based on where your average round would be in the middle of the pack.

If you can play a round close to par then AM2, if your typical round is +5 or higher then Rec.

Rec is for players that are there for the tourney experience & having some fun. You won't get worked by other players and usually are more calm when they miss a putt.

Nothing would ruin a tourney round for me more than a DB stomping, griping & pouting because he is not hitting every shot.

Last edited:
Yeah go for rec for sure MB. That's where I am barely cashing, which is right where I belong. I think EricJ is spot on!

I've played 2 pdga tourneys, both rec. The first was an a-tier where I finished tied for 13th and a c-tier where I finished 4th by 1 stroke. My rated is 887 and I think when the next ratings come out I'll be still just under 900. While someone pointed out about getting worked and guys being dbags in INT, I feel like I need to point out that my rec cards have been full of hacks. Trying to play music, smoking weed, flipping discs, not knowing tee order, walking in your line of site on putts, etc. I'm thinking I'd enjoy INT more, even if I'm not cashing. Play rec early is probably your best bet, but just food for thought.

If you are shooting pars - play INT. Just don't be that guy that shoots like 5 under and is playing Rec; that is just plain lame. The only time I played a tourney was in Rec and everyone was very courteous/friendly/normal - no big-headed BS or drinking/herb. I'm all for the green, but don't subject other people on your card to that during a tourney - that isn't cool.

I've played 2 pdga tourneys, both rec. The first was an a-tier where I finished tied for 13th and a c-tier where I finished 4th by 1 stroke. My rated is 887 and I think when the next ratings come out I'll be still just under 900. While someone pointed out about getting worked and guys being dbags in INT, I feel like I need to point out that my rec cards have been full of hacks. Trying to play music, smoking weed, flipping discs, not knowing tee order, walking in your line of site on putts, etc. I'm thinking I'd enjoy INT more, even if I'm not cashing. Play rec early is probably your best bet, but just food for thought.

Iv played a few years,but only in tournies for a short time. Always REC. And here how it goes. 1st round, The question comes up "How long have you been playing?" When I tell them, I feel like schlub. 9 out of 10 times I have a kid older than the people Im playing. I always get on the lead card in round 2 but never taken 1st, always 2nd or 3rd. The other week I finialy took 1st, and under a 4 stroke penialty for being late. I told myself if I ever win one Id move up. The next tournie I signed up for Masters Inter, cause I want to compete with people my age and caliber. With out probles like Nuke said earlier.

I should probably start out above Rec but if I ever play a tourney I'm starting in Rec...

For one if you are above the Rec level you'll definitely place or possibly win your first tourney, talk about a confidence builder starting off. Secondly if you belong in Rec then you made the right choice. It's a win-win. Even if I won my first Rec tourney I'd probably play Rec one more time and if I placed again I'd then move up.

I should probably start out above Rec but if I ever play a tourney I'm starting in Rec...

For one if you are above the Rec level you'll definitely place or possibly win your first tourney, talk about a confidence builder starting off. Secondly if you belong in Rec then you made the right choice. It's a win-win. Even if I won my first Rec tourney I'd probably play Rec one more time and if I placed again I'd then move up.

i feel the same way and im in the same boat since when i do play my first tourney, im playing rec, **** even some noobs play everyday and get decent scores

Obviously you can have 975 rated guys that only play once a week.

Obviously.

You won't get worked by other players and usually are more calm when they miss a putt.

Nothing would ruin a tourney round for me more than a DB stomping, griping & pouting because he is not hitting every shot.

Nothing ruins my day more than adults (who are spending the day at the park) throwing a temper tantrum. Please tell me this is not what I have to look forward to in tourney play.

Nothing ruins my day more than adults (who are spending the day at the park) throwing a temper tantrum. Please tell me this is not what I have to look forward to in tourney play.

Nah, if you are playing a tourney with a good number of people, the atmosphere should dictate some reasonable level of behavior. I played my first tourney in July, and people seemed to know to behave themselves - the only thing more frowned upon than a temper tantrum would probably be just being a general d-bag towards other people on your card. I found the opposite to be true on my cards - everyone was being courteous/positive/friendly.

I played Rec, and found that I was right where I needed to be playing after 5 months. I managed to stay competitive and play near par golf and was pleased with myself, but even now (a month later) I feel like I'm a better player and could win a Rec if I had some of my best rounds on tournament day. Ok ... maybe we all think that.

Latest posts