• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The DGCR Mold: Let's build a disc!

Ugh, this fell off my radar again.
In other news, I have started looking at getting an injection molding machine for my house… Now that would be awesome! That way we wouldn't have to rely on somebody else to mold this for us.

Have you thought of spin casting? Machines are cheaper I believe and more flexible for different applications. Downside is the production rates are slower.

I have been putting serious thought into purchasing one next year

Have you thought of spin casting? Machines are cheaper I believe and more flexible for different applications. Downside is the production rates are slower.

I have been putting serious thought into purchasing one next year

Thanks I hope the mold ends up a Pole Cat but with a edge corner shape more that of a Putt'r. So Disc mold is nether disc copy directly.

Ugh, this fell off my radar again.
In other news, I have started looking at getting an injection molding machine for my house… Now that would be awesome! That way we wouldn't have to rely on somebody else to mold this for us.

Yep I agree 100%

I think lets make the mold like a Pole Cat but the slightly round corner edge like the Putt'r as I found the corner on edge on a Pole Cat too sharp. This way the mold is close to a Pole cat but just enough different that we would not get a potential lawsuit from Dave D. I know this to be true from older players on here telling me that Gateway almost got sued for making a Aviar clone in the 1990's.

Yep I agree 100%

I think lets make the mold like a Pole Cat but the slightly round corner edge like the Putt'r as I found the corner on edge on a Pole Cat too sharp. This way the mold is close to a Pole cat but just enough different that we would not get a potential lawsuit from Dave D. I know this to be true from older players on here telling me that Gateway almost got sued for making a Aviar clone in the 1990's.

This would be awesome!

This would be awesome!

I know that the Consensus was on a lid that was a Pole Cat clone but 90% of them wanted a Pole Cat exactly 100%. I do not and there is one less person buying the mold. I also fear that getting an exact copy we might get pants sued off by Dave D for making an eaxact clone. So I say modify the edge corner where the two parts meet to be less sharp more like a Putt'r. This actually gets the most amount of players wanting a disc they can use, a Putt'r like disc in feel with Pole Cat flight in a plastic better then the Putt'r as Soft X gets a funny flight when it wears in on the initial mini wear in.

Last edited:
OK, here is the long overdue assessment of the 3D printed disc.

how large can you print? And how well does your printer do out towards the edges of the plate? After I do some testing, we'll need a new version printed.

I think just making the disc a tad taller will help flight though the Fastback discs from Innova and Latitude 64 are this low in rim/wing height. Right now the mold is like the Mojo that Ching made from 1990's sometime until the early 2000's, a midrange lid in terms of the depth. I do like the mold is a larger diameter so the mold can be a 180 gram lid but not a full on catch disc like some Wham-O Frisbee's, this makes for an amazing neutral to us approach disc. Right now the disc looks like a lid disc from Snap Discs company of the 2000's but a tad smaller and lower profile.

Last edited:

Latest posts