• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another hand cut putter, star plastic this time. Really wanted to do a black disc but I read about how hard they are to find when you chunk 'em so I decided a putter would be my best bet. Turned out to be one of my favorite discs so far!

"We can't stop here.. this is bat country!"

Attachments

• IMAG1933.jpg
    IMAG1933.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 68
Absolutely amazing. I remember when this album came out, I saw the image and thought, "that would be an amazing dye" - but is waaaaay above my skill level.

If that disc is a Clutch, it would have been a great pairing.

earth-rocker-51475c15765d2.jpg

I had no idea where the original image came from, but dang that is sweet! The colors look amazing, and I especially liked the colors around the edge

Great work everyone. Love the originality on all of those.

Here's my latest. My buddy loves having his dyes play off the name of the disc. Here's his latitude 64 vision that was an absolute nightmare to weed.

Attachments

• IMAG3697.jpg
    IMAG3697.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 188
My latest dye on an Icon Rival to show some love for the guys over at SmashBoxx TV :thmbup:!

This is my fourth dye and I learned some more things this time. This was to be a thrower for my bag from the start but there were a few things I am not happy with :(.

Stamp removal: This stamp ink ran like the wind when the acetone got near it. This removal was almost a disaster as you can see the dulling marks from the clean up. I guess I need to try to find blanks to dye from now on.

Blue I Dye: Man this stuff is blue and takes QUICK! The first dip was 3 minutes, wash off and 30 more seconds back in and out. The blue is darker in person ( too dark really ) than the photos, next time I want a medium blue it will be dipped at 30 second intervals.

Thanks to Bennett for the awesome vinyl cuts, that is the most "Pro" part of my dyes :D.

Time to, "Step inside the Smashboxx!"

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 66
Stamp removal: This stamp ink ran like the wind when the acetone got near it. This removal was almost a disaster as you can see the dulling marks from the clean up. I guess I need to try to find blanks to dye from now on.

Never had this problem with the discs I've done, were you using 100%? Sometimes it takes more elbow grease to get the stamp off the blizzards and champions I've done. Star plastic came off almost by itself, maybe it's just the way the stamp is on those particular discs.

Keep your head up though! All in all a great dye job, love the way the blue pops on the disc!

I think it's a legacy thing. I tried taking a stamp off of a Canon and it didn't go well.

After reading a lot of threads and getting enough inspiration I started dyeing 2 weeks ago. Here are some of my first attempts using the various methods. Overall I thought it would be harder to do but I learned a lot and picked it up pretty quick I think. Getting my worm dye in soon so that should help brighten up my spins.

Learning to spin dye on an old orc and the sprinkle idye powder technique then topped with shaving cream on an old buzz.
20497959359_28570773c0.jpg

3rd disc ever - saran wrap and spin
20658437666_41579e0eeb.jpg

20497959129_c07e025cab.jpg

20691457251_acd4dc248b.jpg

First attempt at masking with vinyl. Shoulda known it would take off the flashy part of the stamp.

20496714560_bd43a21177.jpg

I think it's a legacy thing. I tried taking a stamp off of a Canon and it didn't go well.

This is one of those things that is a crap shoot. I have had worse luck with colored stamps (greens, purples, etc) smearing when trying to remove them. Not to say it's never happened to me with a black stamp. One more example of why Prodiscus is the best plastic - their stamps are completely on the surface of the disc so they come off like nothing and don't even leave a ghost - no elbow grease required.

First attempt at masking with vinyl. Shoulda known it would take off the flashy part of the stamp.

This is why I keep some contact paper around in addition to vinyl. Not as adhesive so you have a better chance of keeping the stamp intact.

Nice dyes though, especially like how that Buzzz came out.

Love the King and Bolt, Sean. Very nice work! I have to get my spin rig up today. Adds so much more dimension to so many different styles of dyeing.

Cheers.

Love the King and Bolt, Sean. Very nice work! I have to get my spin rig up today. Adds so much more dimension to so many different styles of dyeing.

Cheers.

Thanks bud! Just noticed your from Michigan. I'm visiting there in a few weeks and have 4 days to wander the state and camp with no itinerary. Will be starting in Flint and headed North. Any great course suggestions? Was hoping to play the Grayling mountain course because ski mountains are always fun for disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts