• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

nice drive kid said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
nice drive kid said:
Tried a PD today.

It sucked.

So what about it was so bad for you? Also which kind did you throw? I didn't know if I should believe the hype before I got mine. I figured if anyone wouldn't like it, it would be me. But just a couple of throws made me a believer. The one I have (Blue C-PD) is much more useful than I thought it would be.

Just busting balls. I bought an S-PD x-out at Marshall Street and tried it out on the course there. I'm a die-hard Teebirder with no real need for a longer version, as I can push a TB out past 350'... any further away and I just throw a 167 Star Boss. I mostly bought it to see if it really did fly the same as a TB, and, for the two or so times I threw it, it did. Threw it once backhand and once forehand, and it stayed long and straight with a predictable fade at the end both times. Good disc, just too much of an overlap for me.

And this leads you to say that the discs "sucked" because... ?

jubuttib said:
nice drive kid said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
nice drive kid said:
Tried a PD today.

It sucked.

So what about it was so bad for you? Also which kind did you throw? I didn't know if I should believe the hype before I got mine. I figured if anyone wouldn't like it, it would be me. But just a couple of throws made me a believer. The one I have (Blue C-PD) is much more useful than I thought it would be.

Just busting balls. I bought an S-PD x-out at Marshall Street and tried it out on the course there. I'm a die-hard Teebirder with no real need for a longer version, as I can push a TB out past 350'... any further away and I just throw a 167 Star Boss. I mostly bought it to see if it really did fly the same as a TB, and, for the two or so times I threw it, it did. Threw it once backhand and once forehand, and it stayed long and straight with a predictable fade at the end both times. Good disc, just too much of an overlap for me.

what'shisname said:
jubuttib said:
nice drive kid said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
nice drive kid said:
Tried a PD today.

It sucked.

My apologies, I was preoccupied and made a mistake.

I've been sifting through parts of this (quite long) and there is some good info. I'm using the SOLF, plan to try the PD, but wondered where does the Avenger fit into this? Or is it considered overstable and not really the same "class" of disc.

The Avenger X, I thought, would be right in there with the PD/OLF/Teebird/Starfire debate.

toothyfish said:
The Avenger X, I thought, would be right in there with the PD/OLF/Teebird/Starfire debate.

I'd say that there is a new class of faster fairway drivers, made up of these molds:
Striker
X Avenger
OLF
PD
-This group offers great control even at long distances. Not really great to throw lower powered control drives with though.

'Tweener' fairway drivers:
Teebird
TL
Eagle
-Nearly perfect mix of speed and control.

The 'slow' fairway drivers would encompass these molds:
Gazelle
Cyclone
Leopard
Cheetah
Stalker
-A little less distance potential, but very high control factor.

Take that for what you will.

I would agree with that, but I also feel like the striker can be thrown with lower power requirements than the rest of the discs in the faster fairway driver category

Trey133 said:
I would agree with that, but I also feel like the striker can be thrown with lower power requirements than the rest of the discs in the faster fairway driver category

Yes, I agree, but the Strikes are also more understable (at least the one I ahve tried)

Trey133 said:

not according to Joe's Flight chart

are you saying Blake is wrong?!?!?!?! :twisted:

The Strikers I'm throwing aren't any faster than Teebirds. They are certainly much closer to Teebirds than to a PD.

discspeed said:
The Strikers I'm throwing aren't any faster than Teebirds. They are certainly much closer to Teebirds than to a PD.

I always throw my strikers about 30' past my teebirds. That doesn't say a lot for speed but I consider the Striker a step above my Teebirds.

discspeed said:

it's all heresay about the PDs...I haven't thrown them.

I thought strikers were noticeably faster than teebirds when I was comparing the two.

Actually I think it's a little misleading to say that strikers are slower, when in reality they are just more understable, and can be thrown well with a little less power than an OLF or PD.

victorb said:
Trey133 said:

Hehe, I guess then yea i'm disagreeing with Blake. I feel the strikers are less stable than teebirds, and don't require as much power to get them up to cruising speed.

victorb said:
toothyfish said:

a new class of faster fairway drivers
'Tweener' fairway drivers:
'slow' fairway drivers

That's a clever way to break it down. For me, the "faster fairways" are distance drivers, but in light of the big stuff (and big arms) they aren't.

I kinda like the Avenger X, but want to see how the SOLF beats in and also the PD as a faster Teebird. I like that idea...

But one of those covers that whole slot, I imagine, though with slightly different flight patterns if I understand it correctly.

Trey133 said:
victorb said:
Trey133 said:

Hehe, I guess then yea i'm disagreeing with Blake. I feel the strikers are less stable than teebirds, and don't require as much power to get them up to cruising speed.

Remember, like any limited testing scenarion, Joe's flight chart is made by charting a couple of people's opinions on a couple of individual discs. As runs go by and different people throw, there is no such thing as "universal".

victorb said:
discspeed said:

I thought strikers were noticeably faster than teebirds when I was comparing the two.

Actually I think it's a little misleading to say that strikers are slower, when in reality they are just more understable, and can be thrown well with a little less power than an OLF or PD.

As I've noted before, my Strikers are uber domey...and as a result they are much closer to the Teebird in speed than they are to my PDs. My PD's are noticeably faster as they fly farther, closer to the ground. My Strikers need more height, but glide straight. I threw a flat, GL Striker that was faster, but I hated it. It had no glide and was still slower than a PD, but faster than a Teebird.

My Strikers don't go anywhere near 30' past my Teebirds either. Maybe 10' on the same throw, if that. They are straighter though.

discspeed said:
My Strikers don't go anywhere near 30' past my Teebirds either. Maybe 10' on the same throw, if that. They are straighter though.

Man, sounds like you and I are throwing two totally different discs.

discspeed said:
victorb said:
discspeed said:

As I've noted before, my Strikers are uber domey...and as a result they are much closer to the Teebird in speed than they are to my PDs. My PD's are noticeably faster as they fly farther, closer to the ground. My Strikers need more height, but glide straight. I threw a flat, GL Striker that was faster, but I hated it. It had no glide and was still slower than a PD, but faster than a Teebird.

Interestingly Ive read a couple of different reviews now on different lat. discs, where the GL version is cited as having little glide. Now I havent thrown a GL anything, so I cant comment on it from my own experience. But has anybody else noticed the same thing?

Latest posts