• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

To provide some back story for the newer faces:

Bowling Green Ams was THE amateur tournament of the year for the longest time. Bowling Green was the am equivalent to USDGC if you were trying to get sponsorship eyes on you, and for everybody else it was a giant party.

Glass Blown Open started to be held the same weekend, Trilogy is born, and Emporia becomes the dg Holy Grail for ams. Smallest field in the last 3 years was just under 1100 players, largest just under 1400. Field is being cut in half for what originated as a big amateur tournament and became a big pro event everybody complains about because of the golf course and 30mph winds.

Maybe it's a bigger deal where I'm at because we're smack in the middle of BG and Emporia, both just a couple hours away. People would take a week off work and make it a big dg vacation.

In order to meet the DGPT guidelines changes had to be made, effectively cutting out the people who built your event from the ground up. Those are the things that will stick out with people and make them never want to come back.

All I'm saying is growing pains are coming.

It seems these big tournaments will need to start hosting the AM event on a different weekend. I know that's what OTB Open did last year and it appeared to be successful.

Colten is playing and they are still touring together. So, this could easily be an unwillingness to play an Innova event. It doesn't look alike any of the events that she is currently signed up for are Innova sponsored.

Weird, especially considering that Ricky is signed up.

If I was DD and just dropped a half mill on a player, I would want them at all of the big tournaments.

Regardless of who is sponsoring it.

Colten is playing and they are still touring together. So, this could easily be an unwillingness to play an Innova event. It doesn't look alike any of the events that she is currently signed up for are Innova sponsored.

MaYbE sHe WiLL cAdDiE fOr CoLtEn

Can´t wait for Las Vegas and to see all the players play with "new" discs.

And for the first time in a VERY long time. . ALL of the top 10 rated FPO players in the World are signed up to play in Las Vegas

Eveliina had like 6 events planned for the US run. Excited to see how that goes.

Loads of MPO too from Finland with US plans early in the year. Hopefully someone makes some waves.

Omicron might throw early plans to travel to the U.S. out the window.

I have been skeptical of their chances but perhaps Omnicron has helped in this regard. It has swept through the country way faster than experts predicted and supposedly has hit its peak this week in the US. If this is true, numbers should be drastically lower next month and going forward until the next variant surge. Just saying it's possible the timing will coincide with the valley of infections and restrictions will then loosen... Well we can all hope anyways. :\

It seems these big tournaments will need to start hosting the AM event on a different weekend. I know that's what OTB Open did last year and it appeared to be successful.

I am not very interested in the DGPT coming into my area and hosting AM A Tiers. It is another weekend that we would likely be restricted from running sanctioned tournaments. It would be a drain on precious volunteers and sponsorship dollars for clubs. It is a tournament that could be run, taking money from clubs, that put that money back into leagues, course improvement, new course build. It has potential to harm important relationships with various park systems/directors. DGPT ideas of course changes/improvements for their event, may not be what is best for the local disc golf community.

There are a lot of hypothetical there and just putting our clubs to work to assist them is an answer. I don't see it as a good answer. DGPT should focus on running PRO events. Our area is not in need of additional tournaments or TD's. Especially if the return to the local community is only a tournament.

I say again.....grow the sport is not a PRO initiative. It is done at the AM level in your local disc golf communities. It is tournament players, league players, chuckers and families. Just my take.

I am not very interested in the DGPT coming into my area and hosting AM A Tiers. It is another weekend that we would likely be restricted from running sanctioned tournaments. It would be a drain on precious volunteers and sponsorship dollars for clubs. It is a tournament that could be run, taking money from clubs, that put that money back into leagues, course improvement, new course build. It has potential to harm important relationships with various park systems/directors. DGPT ideas of course changes/improvements for their event, may not be what is best for the local disc golf community.

There are a lot of hypothetical there and just putting our clubs to work to assist them is an answer. I don't see it as a good answer. DGPT should focus on running PRO events. Our area is not in need of additional tournaments or TD's. Especially if the return to the local community is only a tournament.

I say again.....grow the sport is not a PRO initiative. It is done at the AM level in your local disc golf communities. It is tournament players, league players, chuckers and families. Just my take.

As far as I know DGPT does not have anything to do with AM tournaments, even if they are on the same weekend. Rather they are completely separate events facilitated by the host club/event company.

My understanding is the DGPT sets standards and provides support, but these events are still managed locally for the most part. Your experience in Michigan might be different.

I have been skeptical of their chances but perhaps Omnicron has helped in this regard. It has swept through the country way faster than experts predicted and supposedly has hit its peak this week in the US. If this is true, numbers should be drastically lower next month and going forward until the next variant surge. Just saying it's possible the timing will coincide with the valley of infections and restrictions will then loosen... Well we can all hope anyways. :\
That is why I said "might" as it looks like it might do just what you said. It's really hard to know right now, but don't be buying non-refundable tickets to anything. :|

As far as I know DGPT does not have anything to do with AM tournaments, even if they are on the same weekend. Rather they are completely separate events facilitated by the host club/event company.

My understanding is the DGPT sets standards and provides support, but these events are still managed locally for the most part. Your experience in Michigan might be different.

DGLO this year had an LARGE A Tier event in conjunction with the DGPT event. The A Tier has been run by clubs the last few years, of the DGPT. This year, no options were given. Work was done to one of the courses that had no local community involvement. While the damage is not likely permanent and some of it was a good idea, not all, IMO.

Now, perhaps there was some deal made at the State Coordinator level, but I can speak for the several local clubs, that actively run tournament in this community. Perhaps, no club would have been interested, but man....I would love to give one or a group of them the chance. If any benefit was provided to the local disc golf community, I am not aware of it. If I am mistaken and there was some benefit, I would like for all the local clubs to be involved, in where that effort goes.

The DGPT is a good series, but I am not convinced having national TD's coming in and taking over AM tournament is the best thing for local community disc golf. Maybe there is a model that could change my mind, but I don't see any semblance of that model in place.

DGLO this year had an LARGE A Tier event in conjunction with the DGPT event. The A Tier has been run by clubs the last few years, of the DGPT. This year, no options were given. Work was done to one of the courses that had no local community involvement. While the damage is not likely permanent and some of it was a good idea, not all, IMO.

Now, perhaps there was some deal made at the State Coordinator level, but I can speak for the several local clubs, that actively run tournament in this community. Perhaps, no club would have been interested, but man....I would love to give one or a group of them the chance. If any benefit was provided to the local disc golf community, I am not aware of it. If I am mistaken and there was some benefit, I would like for all the local clubs to be involved, in where that effort goes.

The DGPT is a good series, but I am not convinced having national TD's coming in and taking over AM tournament is the best thing for local community disc golf. Maybe there is a model that could change my mind, but I don't see any semblance of that model in place.

Yeah didn't they bring Heinold in specifically to run the DGPT DGLO? I couldn't find anything online in terms of what conditions a TD must meet in order for their event to become a DGPT event.

Somebody else mentioned OTB having their am tournament a couple weeks away from the DGPT event, I believe they did the same thing in Des Moines. Maybe those TD's are ahead of the curve and Emporia was late to make that change? That seems to be the easiest way to allow for maximum fields at both events, but then you run into the difficulty of wrangling volunteers for two tournaments.

I think the big draw of having the am tourneys on the same weekend is that ams get to go watch the pro cards and go to the pro fly marts after their rounds. You typically get smaller am fields when they are on different weekends. Maybe it's not such a big deal now that no one is having a hard time filling am A-tiers these days.

Totally agree with this. Recreational players are at the base of the DG food chain. You gotta bring people into the sport in the first place. As they progress, some recreational players will decide to play competitively in local leagues tournaments, and the Am side grows. Some of these players will progress through the various divisions. Only some of them will play Open, and fewer still change their PDGA stays from Am to Pro, let alone go on tour.

I'm not saying big name pros won't help manufacturers move product. No doubt in my mind that they do. But pretty much all the people they influence are already in the game. They justmake them existing players want to buy "moar, newer, better, prettier, cooler, limited, special run, supports whomever, etc."

But hardly any people get into the game initially (I mean people who've never played before deciding to go to a course for the first time) because of anything that happens at the Pro level, or because they saw they watched a DGPT event. The vast majority of the uninitiated don't even know "Professional" disc golfers even exist.

They get involved because a friend turns them on to it, or they see people playing in a nearby park, and it looks like fun.

For the most part, the pro side only appeals to the already-indoctrinated.

Sure, some courses get installed for specific events, but waaaay more are installed for by local parks and recs recognizing the need, local clubs or active community members working with the, or because, simply because one of us enthusiasts pushes till we can make it happen.

TL/DR: Ru4's right
The game grows from the base of the food pyramid up. Not the other way 'round.

Last edited:
Doesn't (didn't) she throw a Heat?

Maybe if you don't get Leopard3's you'll get some color glow Sidewinders or Roadrunners.

I throw color glow roadrunners and they are my favorite run that I've ever had. Would also like to see Halo Roadrunners.

DD has Kona and McCabe throwing discs at people in Pain Rankers new YT vid.

This is the social media exposure they paid big bucks for?

Latest posts