• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I think the big draw of having the am tourneys on the same weekend is that ams get to go watch the pro cards and go to the pro fly marts after their rounds. You typically get smaller am fields when they are on different weekends. Maybe it's not such a big deal now that no one is having a hard time filling am A-tiers these days.
The whole PDGA model was based on Ams being spectators (remember, we were faking it 'til we made it) and the flipside of that was the open players and am players were at the same parks playing the same courses hanging out in the same parking lots between rounds, the same flymarts, the same players parties...disc golfers got used to having A LOT of access to the Ken Climo's and Barry Schultz' of the world.

Now that whole model is out the window; it doesn't work anymore. Clubs that have literally spent decades planning their whole existence around "if we do this and that and then somebody finds a sponsor maybe Paul McBeth will come to our A Tier" have to pivot; Paul McBeth is never coming to your A Tier. We literally no longer have any responsibility to prop up pro disc golf. That is DGPT's problem now.

Cutting lose Am's from events like DDO and DGLO is just going to be a step toward that. Any event trying to cling to that old "one size fits all/Open and Am's all in one place" model is going to have to come to grips with that.

The whole PDGA model was based on Ams being spectators (remember, we were faking it 'til we made it) and the flipside of that was the open players and am players were at the same parks playing the same courses hanging out in the same parking lots between rounds, the same flymarts, the same players parties...disc golfers got used to having A LOT of access to the Ken Climo's and Barry Schultz' of the world.

Now that whole model is out the window; it doesn't work anymore. Clubs that have literally spent decades planning their whole existence around "if we do this and that and then somebody finds a sponsor maybe Paul McBeth will come to our A Tier" have to pivot; Paul McBeth is never coming to your A Tier. We literally no longer have any responsibility to prop up pro disc golf. That is DGPT's problem now.

Cutting lose Am's from events like DDO and DGLO is just going to be a step toward that. Any event trying to cling to that old "one size fits all/Open and Am's all in one place" model is going to have to come to grips with that.

Going to need the PDGA to get on board with that.

Which surprises me to hear that several of these Pros switching sponsors are walking out on the last year, or more, of their previous deals. :|

Maybe those previous deals were just done by a handshake and not too enforceable?

Except by their conscience. [emoji1750]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not really what I was unclear on.

In the other cases, the companies are different. Latitude 64 and Dynamic Discs are horribly intertwined in a complicated business partnership, but at the end of the day Latitude 64 is a company run by David Berglund and Dynamic Discs is a company owned by Jeremy Rusco. They are different companies.

MVP, Axiom and Streamline to my knowledge are all owned by the same people. It's more like brands of one company than different companies. I'm not 100% sure of that so that's what I can't state for fact; that's the part I'm unclear on.

Player is sponsored by X brand who also molds Y brand so player can throw Y brand discs is a pretty long-standing standard practice in disc golf.

I see.

In this case, there is no difference between Axiom, MVP, and Streamline. There is Team MVP, and that team can throw all three brands. There is no Team Axiom or Team Streamline, say, as there is Team DD, Team Lat64, and team Westside.

We are free to throw whatever we want from the three lineups.

Nikko posted this to his IG today. I spy a gateway bag 👀
Screenshot-20220113-184148-01.jpg

Seems like they are. DGPT, separate worlds. We are never going to separate local pro/am, but I'm not sure that is what 3P was driving at.
We went around and around about that in another thread and I'm not sure we ever got to the point, but "local pro" shouldn't exist at this point. It's really just the top tier of Amateur play, but you play for cash so it's called pro. That is always going to be part of local scenes; we have a lot of history of those guys playing for cash and that is not going to change.

I see.

In this case, there is no difference between Axiom, MVP, and Streamline. There is Team MVP, and that team can throw all three brands. There is no Team Axiom or Team Streamline, say, as there is Team DD, Team Lat64, and team Westside.

We are free to throw whatever we want from the three lineups.
Cool, thanks. It makes the MVP situation somewhat unique with how things are branded, but I'm sure they know more about marketing than I do so "unique" is all I have. It's a lot more straightforward than say Discraft/DGA, which is a partnership like Innova/Discmania was. We all saw how Innova/Discmania turned out, but Innova/Millennium and Discraft/DGA are long-standing partnerships that still seem to be working.

Basically I have no point. :|

Nikko posted this to his IG today. I spy a gateway bag ��
Screenshot-20220113-184148-01.jpg

If Gateway was better structured with plastic lines and molds...Nikko could make them alot of money...but they are all over the place over there.

I would love to see a Gateway version of DGA.

Easily understood plastic options and staple molds that are always in stock(since they produce in-house)

Gateway is the one company really missing out on a bigger piece of the pie. They seem to just pump out Wizards and then goof off with the rest of their molds/plastics.

Gateway is the one company really missing out on a bigger piece of the pie. They seem to just pump out Wizards and then goof off with the rest of their molds/plastics.

For quite a few years now, it does kinda seem like they've simply accepted that the Wizard is their raison d'être, and they've essentially given up trying to be truly competitive on other molds.

You'd think they'd have tried to capitalize on disc golf's increase popularity since Covid started. You never really even hear about them.

Gateway was one man's dream. That dream didn't include like a business degree or anything. :|

They are still in business, though. Since they are still in business and it wasn't my dream, I just smile and nod and throw Wizards, man.

Gateway was one man's dream. That dream didn't include like a business degree or anything. :|

They are still in business, though. Since they are still in business and it wasn't my dream, I just smile and nod and throw Wizards, man.

sounds like youre livin the dream

For quite a few years now, it does kinda seem like they've simply accepted that the Wizard is their raison d'être, and they've essentially given up trying to be truly competitive on other molds.

You'd think they'd have tried to capitalize on disc golf's increase popularity since Covid started. You never really even hear about them.
We were never buds and I haven't talked to him in years, but I knew Dave when he started Gateway. He said he wanted to be able to close his construction company and "make a living off disc golf". Not get rich, move to Malibu and drive a Bently off disc golf; make a living off disc golf. So he's there, man. What is there to capitalize on?

If he was here to talk about Gateway for an hour, if he is still anything like the guy I knew Dave would talk about Eagles Crossing for 45 minutes, spend 10 minutes talking about other course projects he has in the works and then maybe mention the discs right before the end. The guy really loves designing disc golf courses. He sells golf discs to make money.

Nikko throwing Gateway again would be cool, though. I think he was putting Magics the last time I saw him throwing Gateway.

Scott Stokely made an interview with DaveMac a few months back where there is some talk about how the disc golf boom affected Gateway. The relevant part starts at 5:10 in the video

Latest posts