• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable re-attempt at a 2020 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

She's the top female competitor, she probably wants top female money.

Maybe DD wasn't wanting to pay her as much as she can get form Discraft or somebody else. Who knows.

I'm not disputing that at all, but another factor is that back in the day the word on the street was that female disc golfers don't move product in the male-dominated disc golf world.

As much as we might want a female champion to carry the same marketing weight as a male champions, I think we all realize it's not the case. The rumor always was that the sales numbers on the Champ Valk tanked when they put Juliana Korver's signature on it; guys who didn't really know what they were doing (read: 99% of disc golfers) thought it was a "girl disc" and wouldn't buy it. Of course I have no proof of that, but it was the rumor at the time and came up again when Innova was reluctant to give Des Reading and Valerie Jenkins signature discs despite multiple World's wins.

So from a business perspective, having your brand tied to a female disc golfer might not be a good place to be.

If DD lets her go to Discraft or Innova where she won't be "THE" sponsored player (and Innova and Discraft sells more discs and can afford to pay her more) plus free up what DD is paying her to recruit male players who are better at moving product, you have a win-win. I'm not disputing at all that it was a very nice thing for DD to do and probably a very hard thing for them to do, but it might also help them business-wise.

It's not like there isn't a large population of women in this country who could be introduced to disc golf but that's just not the case, it turns out.

It's not like there isn't a large population of women in this country who could be introduced to disc golf but that's just not the case, it turns out.
I think there is a lot of things that have been going on for a lot of years to try to promote women's disc golf and those efforts are going to continue because a lot of people recognize that there is huge potential for growth there. It's a slow burn, though. You probably can basically ignore women in all your marketing/promotion and do just fine in the disc golf market today because that potential isn't translating into larger female fields. Ignoring women might eventually burn you, but we just are not there yet.

I think there is a lot of things that have been going on for a lot of years to try to promote women's disc golf and those efforts are going to continue because a lot of people recognize that there is huge potential for growth there. It's a slow burn, though. You probably can basically ignore women in all your marketing/promotion and do just fine in the disc golf market today because that potential isn't translating into larger female fields. Ignoring women might eventually burn you, but we just are not there yet.

I don't think you're wrong. And, what you said earlier about Paige being the face of a company that seems very men-oriented strikes me as accurate. A Paige-Paul pairing would reshape the market and I think Discraft is best positioned to push the women's game. I would like to see them try.

You probably can basically ignore women in all your marketing/promotion and do just fine in the disc golf market today...
I understand your point from a sheer bottom line perspective. However, ignoring women can lead to bad PR....Really, the first thing I thought after looking that Elite team tracker page was there was no woman on the team.

If DD lets her go to Discraft or Innova where she won't be "THE" sponsored player (and Innova and Discraft sells more discs and can afford to pay her more) plus free up what DD is paying her to recruit male players who are better at moving product, you have a win-win. I'm not disputing at all that it was a very nice thing for DD to do and probably a very hard thing for them to do, but it might also help them business-wise.

Which MPO players are left to make any kind of move for next season? I'm guessing life in a van (down by a disc golf course) at her current pay just wasn't worth it. Plus she was working with (i forget her name) the DGPT photog as a side gig to make more money. She's the #1 FPO, DD apparently wasn't interested in paying her more money. I could be wrong but I STILL think DD gets more return for their money by sponsoring more non elite players at a lower cost who will saturate social media with the DD brand.

A pasty Jamaican beef patty is the perfect meat pie.

FTFY

Some areas seem to have a strong contingent of women disc golfers. Seems to be more of a grassroots thing - is there someone local who is willing to organize clinics, tournaments, etc. for women. I don't know how manufacturers fit into that process.

On topic - Paige is fun to watch. I hope she does well from a competitive and financial standpoint. 'Twould be nice if she accepted that occasionally playing conservatively would improve her odds of success. Although I suppose it depends how one chooses to define success.

I understand your point from a sheer bottom line perspective. However, ignoring women can lead to bad PR....Really, the first thing I thought after looking that Elite team tracker page was there was no woman on the team.
They had Val Jenkins on that team, but they are reshuffling the teams and she and Nate got shuffled off the Elite Team into an "Icon" team. So they did have that spot filled last year, just with a player who isn't touring anymore. That they did that points out to me that they probably realized that they needed to have a woman on the Elite team for PR purposes.

We shall see if they are in the process of creating an actual women's team now. It seems they have the spots on the chart to be doing that.

Which MPO players are left to make any kind of move for next season? I'm guessing life in a van (down by a disc golf course) at her current pay just wasn't worth it. Plus she was working with (i forget her name) the DGPT photog as a side gig to make more money. She's the #1 FPO, DD apparently wasn't interested in paying her more money. I could be wrong but I STILL think DD gets more return for their money by sponsoring more non elite players at a lower cost who will saturate social media with the DD brand.

I'm too lazy to compare the video numbers, but those random draw events don't have the same power when it's Paige v Eric O or Zach M then when it was Paige v Ricky.

Wonder how losing Ricky (from Lat64) factored/s into DD/Trilogy business, sponsorship, and social media plans?

I think we may not be too aware of changing Euro market demographics. We are seeing some emerging high-caliber females from there and it seems like Paige has the driving distance to lead by example. Some of those ladies throw really, really far.
Also, Paul has always been the biggest draw in Europe (duh), and I would think sales for Discraft sky-rocketed after his move. I'd assume a smaller but significant bump if she signs with them.

I just can't see Innova after the rough departure for Val, and they didn't seem to bother doing much to address that afterward.

Weird thing going around facebook that Innova posted and quickly took down a Paige Pierce video this morning...:popcorn:

They need a woman somewhere on that team just for Political Correctness sake.

in real life maybe we could tell you were being sarcastic but this is the internet. you made a dumb joke in a dumb way and got called out on it.

NEXT

Latest posts