• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

• Very cool, he's the man.

Votes: 98 53.6%
  • I'm ok with it.

Votes: 65 35.5%
  • Don't like it, he should watch his disc.

Votes: 20 10.9%

• Total voters

DiscFifty

Banned
So Michael Jo throws his drive and while the disc is still well in it's flight, he decides to walk off the tee and let everyone else watch his disc fly. I personally think it makes him look like a disc golf badass. :popcorn:

It's a luxury when playing with spotters.

But, he got bested by a chipmunk, so . . . .

It's a luxury when playing with spotters.

But, he got bested by a chipmunk, so . . . .

It isn't a spotter thing, he does it in casual rounds too. If you hit the gap and have no chance of OB or an ace, what's the point of staring down every shot.

Last edited:
Cool guys don't watch explosions.

If you know your disc and know where it's going, you don't need to watch.

I've never heard any stories of him holding up a group because he lost a disc for not watching. So, who cares?

In ball golf they do it all the time, no big deal. MJ even does it on putts (picks up his mini before his disc is in the basket), so on spit-outs he must be thinking, wtf happened there? Bottom line is the dude throws laser beams, he could probably throw 900+ rated rounds blindfolded. :eek:

As Reniger said, if he were holding up his card due to losing discs, that would be another story. I imagine he might watch a bit longer when playing alone?

As for the chipmunk story, I still think the chipmunk was boldly sacrificing him/her-self to try to save that disc from going OB. Could have worked if it were a squirrel. Not enough mass on that chipmunk. But it's clear to me that, even in the rodent world, everyone pulls for MJ.

If his disc becomes lost, he'll be in violation of rule 801.04(B) and may be subject to penalty under 801.04(G).

He only does it when he knows exactly where its going to land. If his shot is off target he watches it

If his disc becomes lost, he'll be in violation of rule 801.04(B) and may be subject to penalty under 801.04(G).

This was my first thought, although 801.04(B) only says that you should watch your other group members' throws...it doesn't expressly say you have to watch your own throw :p

Choosing to eschew watching your own throw is a display of knowledge and confidence. To those ends it does seem a little bit arrogant, but if you can get away with it on a regular basis I guess it's justified.

I have no problem with him doing that unless he's on my card and we can't find the disc.

I wouldn't want to do that because I like watching my disc fly.

As Reniger said, if he were holding up his card due to losing discs, that would be another story. I imagine he might watch a bit longer when playing alone?

As for the chipmunk story, I still think the chipmunk was boldly sacrificing him/her-self to try to save that disc from going OB. Could have worked if it were a squirrel. Not enough mass on that chipmunk. But it's clear to me that, even in the rodent world, everyone pulls for MJ.

Hmmm... perhaps if it were two chipmunks cleverly disguised as a squirrel, then together they would have been able to keep it from going OB.

I have no problem with him doing that unless he's on my card and we can't find the disc.

I wouldn't want to do that because I like watching my disc fly.

Thank you. For me, the moment when im able to experience the physical chain of events ive put into place is the slo-mo connection to reality that keeps me grounded. Watching my discs is a big part of this for me.

This was my first thought, although 801.04(B) only says that you should watch your other group members' throws...it doesn't expressly say you have to watch your own throw :p

Choosing to eschew watching your own throw is a display of knowledge and confidence. To those ends it does seem a little bit arrogant, but if you can get away with it on a regular basis I guess it's justified.

If his intention is to seem arrogant then thats, well, arrogant. But if its just part of his groove then let him groove. :)

Latest posts