• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

People accuse me of drifting threads all the time, but I have never drug a discussion of a golf disc into a conversation about middle-earth. :rolleyes:

People accuse me of drifting threads all the time, but I have never drug a discussion of a golf disc into a conversation about middle-earth. :rolleyes:

LMAO, but contributing to it by mentioning it is a completely different thing altogether, right? :D :p ;)

Yeah but how cool would it be to play a course through the mines of Moria?

If your disc gets melted by the Balrog it's a stroke penalty and you play from wherever the biggest puddle lands.

P.S.- After Frodo destroyed the ring it was really a Roc, not an eagle, that saved him and Sam.
Wha, wha, what!?! Did you just spoil the ending for me?? :eek:

There is also the Ching roc or "full color" roc. This is a dx disc that has a stamp on top in full color and tends to have a slightly flatter top for this reason. These fly great. Oh, also glow rocs fly great as well.

Nothing beats a nice beat in roc.

Star Ontario Roc

I am a newbie, six months deep into this sport. I have been using skeeters since I started as I found them great for putting, driving, mid-range. The skeeter puts like a lazer, from thirty feet out I still aim just left of the pole and it goes straight in.

However I was looking for something a little more stable than my skeeter for forearm shots and I wanted to try out a roc.

I got a Star Ontario Roc from a friend today. Going to try it out and probably buy it off of him. It is an X-out that was purchased at innova in Rock Hill.

Now is this roc going to be more on the stable side or more overstable? I can't really tell yet from throwing it as I threw it only twice in the round today and had two terrible shots! Not the discs fault, I was just playing bad.
Also what would be a good price to offer him for it?

Last edited:
I have a hard time sidearming a dx roc with any power. A star roc should be slightly more stable. I use gators and drones for midrange forearms as they are overstable enough to handle some snap. Fair price new $10-15.

Thanks, I may look into a gator or a drone then. I need a mid range that I can flick as I play in wooded courses and many times do not have the room for a backhand.

it takes a lot of finesse to side arm a roc

rocs are good because they will teach you what your doing wrong when throwing a disc - if you release with a little wobble, the roc will show it to you (drives are usually good at hiding flaws in your form; wobble being one of these) - learning to throw a roc properly will mean improving your form, which allows you to throw drivers better and farther - people who can not throw rocs, usually do not have good form, and can not throw them very well, which is why they do not like them

throwing side arm uses more spin, which generally causes more wobble than a backhand throw - if you can learn to throw a roc side arm with no wobble, you will be really impressed with what you can do with it

I have to put a lot of hyzer angle on the release sidearming a roc and it still turnsover and flies left or rolls. I also don't find the roc comfortable in my hand as a two finger flick.

To sidearm a roc (or any other midrange for that matter), you are going to want to slow down your throwing motion and condense your reach back. Throw at about 50% power and flick your wrist like a normal sidearm shot.

Most players like rocs because they are predictable. The fade of a roc is always going to be pretty consistent, and if you have good form throwing them 300'+ is possible. I prefer the buzzz because it holds a straighter line, althought a beatup roc is a thing of beauty.

stupid question, what exactly is an understamp roc? Is it a classic roc in the rancho style or what?

ive got a DX classic ontario roc that i found and ive always disliked it and wondered how people are so in love with roc's lol but after reading this i now see that i have yet to try out a real roc since this is one of the classic ones...looks like ive got some further research to do out on the course before i make any more judgements on the roc :rolleyes:

ahhh what a great disc for those of us that use it. it just does whatever we want it to.

but i have no idea how in the world anyone can throw any disc with a bead forehand. i have tried and tried and tried, but it just won't come out of my hand right.

and i know this isn't about a buzzz, but does any one else flip buzzzs over far too easily if they aren't careful?

Roc

stupid question, what exactly is an understamp roc? Is it a classic roc in the rancho style or what?

I have a bottom stamped Roc, you can see the picture of it next to my name. As I read somewhere, it in no way implies I've reached rock bottom.

I throw sidearm, and the first few months I played I hated the Roc...read alot about it, the Buddah of disc, it just flipped over on me and went no where. But I recently went back to it and must say I love it. Throwing it sidearm, as someone said a few posts back, you have to back down the power a bit. I know this may not be the correct way to throw a disc but, when I reach back, just before I start to bring my arm back around I pause for a split second. And this helps ME back off a bit. I can only throw it 200' max, but I can put it where I want it.

Last edited:
is the "thrower" roc any good? i see a bunch of them on ebay and i was just curious. it says Throwers are the USDGC fundraising Rocs....are they any different than other rocs?

I've been playing since Aug. '08, 2-4 rounds a week, and finally bought a mythical, magical Roc. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about until I nailed my first 100'+ with it after throwing it less than a dozen times. I'm a believer.

I've been playing since Aug. '08, 2-4 rounds a week, and finally bought a mythical, magical Roc. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about until I nailed my first 100'+ with it after throwing it less than a dozen times. I'm a believer.

The Roc is too much disc for 100'. You should do like the top pro's and follow this basic rule of thumb.

over 400' throw a Teebird

300'-400' use the legendary Roc

200'-300' time to break out the putter

Anything under 200' If you can't hit it with your mini you have serious form issues. :D

I got a DX Roc at an Ice Bowl last year, and I also had trouble throwing it at first. I didn't get the hype, as mine seemed overstable to a fault.

However, I figured all the hype can't be for nothing, so I committed myself to working with it. I started by throwing it as a "second shot" when I'm playing alone, and gradually got the feel for it. As I learned how to throw it, it started to get beat up a bit. As it got beat up, it started to get easier to control. I'm beginning to see what all the hype is about. :)

The Roc is too much disc for 100'. You should do like the top pro's and follow this basic rule of thumb.

over 400' throw a Teebird

300'-400' use the legendary Roc

200'-300' time to break out the putter

Anything under 200' If you can't hit it with your mini you have serious form issues. :D

I have serious form issues. I can't throw much over 300' unless it's downhill. :(

Latest posts