• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

This is my first dye, simple yin yang design. I plan on trying other techniques on this disc to add some personalization.

picture.php

my first 2 dyes done yesterday on an ion and a katana.think I over heated the ion cause it turned a little brown in spots.
20110811145309.jpg

20110811141104.jpg

Things happen on first dyes. The images and lines look great though, so I'd call it a job well done on your part. I usually don't heat my dye much, and cut the stove off completely right before I put the discs in. If you want to cover up the tan on that Ion, consider some BG effects like marbling, or a light pattern. A good shaving cream marble seems to go well on Ions.

Thanks for the advice on turning the heat off Dsplayname third disc came out with no heat marks. Ive been doing mine in a electric wok I picked up for a buck and a half at the thrift store. I think its time to move up to 2 or three colors any advice or tips on that.
20110813080343.jpg

looks great! For two + colors just make sure you take your time and think it through. Black first, then work from darkest to lightest. Also you may have to remask or cover a color depending on the mix. Ex. if you dip in red than do a blue without remasking the red will be purple. Good luck can't wait to see more!

Here is my first dye. Super simple design on an x-out Champ Boss. The picture is crappy because I used my cell phone. I have since lost this disc at the Mineral Springs DGC. I saved the cut outs from this stencil and made similar negative design on x-out Champ Groove. I still have that disc, I'll work on including picture next time.

Attachments

• fist dye.jpg
    fist dye.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 38
Simple_D.jpg

First attempt, went with a simple Duke D, after a failed attempt at the one with the Blue Devil in the middle. Turned out better than I thought it would on my first try, but the stamp was pretty deep on the Surge, so you can actually see the outline of the original stamp.

Only problem I really encountered was that the contact paper I used left a pretty good residue. I've been able to work off most of it now, but there's still some left. Can't wait to do my next one though.

Sorry, forgot I can't quote a pic. It's the joker dye on an orange disc on one of the early pages. I ask because I recently lost an orange star eagle with this dye on it that I got from someone on DGR.

Recently posted this one in 'dye a day' thread but it is also appropriate here as it was my first. Used the free 3m stuff. Its been a few weeks and the bleeds are starting to blur together for a pretty cool effect. (star mako)
DSCF0007.jpg

After watching my trials and errors my neighbor tried his first dye over the weekend (champ orc)
HT2.jpg

I went and did it. Liquid Kelly green plus a little powdered Dark green on a champ Leopard. The cutting was a lot harder than I hoped and I missed a few areas so I had to do a few cuts on the disc:eek:. First I tried to paint it on using heated samples and leaving it overnight but that barely worked. I bathed it the next morning for about 20mins. There are some splotchy areas in the dye but the color is a good green and overall I'm satisfied.
Thanks for all the tips. It's clear that some of y'all are true artists.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1stdye.jpg
    1stdye.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 374
This disc will never stab you in the back. Star Katana with a companion cube. Few bleeds, learned a lot on that first dip. Thanks for all the useful advice on here, it's great. Totally addicted now though...

Attachments

• IMG00085-20110913-1618.jpg
    IMG00085-20110913-1618.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 34
1st dye

couldnt think of what to do with a yellow gator and havent seen any "caution" discs yet. the black haze above gators head was from wiping disc down a few days later with acitone, kinda streaked it but i still like it

Attachments

• zxc.jpg
    zxc.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 45
love the companion cube. I've got the cake on an EchoStar Katana. The gator crossing is pretty original, and I've only seen those road signs in Florida. Nice work on both.

2nd attempt at a hand cut stencil, still a few bleeds but came out pretty awesome. 180g Star San Marino Roc

Attachments

• IMG00093-20110920-1254.jpg
    IMG00093-20110920-1254.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 50
I love the compainon cube. I have a design im working on now that has the compainon cube with the aperture science logo in the middle of it.

Latest posts