• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

So here is my First* and Second dyes

My official first dye was a total flop, because Reedy212 is impatient and decided that Rit dye can't be ALL that bad.
So that disc ended up being a flop with a shadow of my design, but other than the bad dye I think it would have worked out.
Here are my second and third attempts, first with Idye Poly.

VNu8h0I.jpg

I did this one by cutting out the stencil on top of the contact paper. So the stencil made it super difficult. Ended up losing patience when it came to Calvin's face.

zptdoKK.jpg

Did this one by placing the stencil underneath the contact paper over a well lit window and cut the paper that way. Much easier to remove the pieces I needed.

Now if I was only a good enough disc golfer to justify more discs I can't control...

One of my first dyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20140208_141521.jpg
    IMG_20140208_141521.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 68
Green not bright

Finished my first dye today. I used black and green iDye on a pearl Gold Line Mace. The green didn't turn out how I wanted it to though and actually looks kinda blueish. Any suggestions why this might be? Is it the kind of green I used? Did I not mix it up well enough? Overall, Im pretty happy for my first dye though. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140716_194507.jpg
    20140716_194507.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 55
Greens are tough! Pylam seems to be the best, but since they changed their policy on sending out samples, you have to buy a large amount now. (Some of us dyers should go in on a bulk order of their green.;))

I've added yellow to idye green, and come up with more of an olive green.

Very nice job on the dye, BTW! :thmbup:

Peace,
-Jeff

20140721_095148-1.jpg

Lat64 Diamond Light (misprint, if the stamp isn't obvious) Opto plastic.

Pretty happy with the way it came out. Two tiny bleeds, would've liked to get the purple a little darker (did about 45 minutes with it).

Mostly, just need to cut my vinyl better. Not sure how to do that, aside from bugging somebody with a plotter.

Mostly, just need to cut my vinyl better. Not sure how to do that, aside from bugging somebody with a plotter.

Like anything else, it is a skill you will develop with patience and practice. It takes a while to get a feel for it, especially curved lines and circles, as you probably noticed.

IMO, cutting is half the fun of dyeing.

Did all 4 of these in one sitting. Still need to work on getting more crisp lines. On one disc I wanted the dye to sneak into disc on edges but it didnt do it as much as would have liked. Oh well, I am still pretty pleased.

Also, I cut into the disc while cutting out the stencil. Can anyone tell me how badly that will affect the disc?

Attachments

• FirstDye.jpg
    FirstDye.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 32
I cut into the disc while cutting out the stencil. Can anyone tell me how badly that will affect the disc?

If you are cutting into the disc in any noticeable way (i.e. you can feel the cuts at all) then you were cutting too hard. It does not take much to cut through the vinyl - you should be able to cut the vinyl without actually cutting into the disc, although you gotta get the feel for it.

Even if you were cutting into it, I doubt it will significantly affect the flight. Technically your disc may no longer be legal for PDGA play though.

I didn't cut it a lot, just a few small little lines here and there. I dont know how often I will be dyeing, but I could already feel mydelg getting better at not cutting the disc. Getting a feel for what the blade was cutting.

First stencil dye

So after a lot of reading through these threads, asking questions, and practicing cutting vinyl with an x-acto knife, I dipped my first dye. At the moment it's just black lines, but it turned out pretty well IMO. Can't wait to add in the colors.

Attachments

• Hyrule Disc (Lines).jpg
    Hyrule Disc (Lines).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 65
I use to help my friend with his vinyl business and we hardly ever touched an exacto knife. most roland vinyl printers have a knife built in. any half butt graphics guy could resize the image and cut it out on a scrap piece. I know most guys like cutting out stencils but for those of you who don't, talk to you local sign maker or printing and copy store.

First dye... I found that the light blue color made the disc almost impossible to find. I dyed the back of the disc a darker blue and made the wavy pattern with Elmers glue. Unfortunately, I let it sit in the dye too long and the glue dissolved by the time I took it out.

20140920_105945.jpg

2nd and 3rd dyes... I'm kind of hooked now...

20140914_105658.jpg

Keith

First dye... I found that the light blue color made the disc almost impossible to find. I dyed the back of the disc a darker blue and made the wavy pattern with Elmers glue. Unfortunately, I let it sit in the dye too long and the glue dissolved by the time I took it out.

20140920_105945.jpg

2nd and 3rd dyes... I'm kind of hooked now...

20140914_105658.jpg

Keith
How long did you let the disc sit when it dissolved the elmers glue? and was the dye cold or hot? Thanks

That skyline disc is pretty awesome looking.

Thanks. The original brown/gold color made the disc really hard to find. I saw someone suggest dyeing half the disc black to provide some contrast, and it does seem to help.

The skyline turned out better than I expected. There are still quite a few bleeds if you look closely, but I'm getting better.

Keith

Unfortunately, I let it sit in the dye too long and the glue dissolved by the time I took it out.

Keith

Congrats on your dyes. I really like the looks of the bleedover from the melted glue. I recently dyed discs for the first time and also had the bleedover problem but the discs looked great.

Great work on them all.

Hyrule Shield with Color

1st full color disc dye. A few imperfections, but for a first attempt, I'm happy with it.

dnvzhf5jn