• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official PF Contender thread (reviews, thoughts, etc.)

What size bag do you want to see from PF? Price points as well

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! The 2nd run contenders now come with a nice big zippered side pocket! It can hold 3 to 4 discs or a hoodie, check out this sample side panel!

18dkrt.jpg

Specs for the new bag! As of right now

"The new bag is under construction and will hopefully be complete in 7-10 days.

So far this is what we are going with (tentatively):

-16 disc capacity in the main compartment
-Putter pouch up top
-Side storage that can hold discs also if wanting to get into the 18-20 disc range.
-Dual cup holders
-stool/umbrella pockets
-side mini pockets

The new bag will be our medium size pack that doesn't have the disc capacity that the Contender had but had just as much storage.

Price point is below $100 with most likely a lifetime warranty.

Hopefully this will make other companies take notice that raising cost 300% for a bag to use in the sport we love will not fly anymore because if a small company can make it work then so can everyone else."

low margins are going to work in the short run because of quick demand but I doubt that slashing prices is going to work for your company or industry in the long run

low margins are going to work in the short run because of quick demand but I doubt that slashing prices is going to work for your company or industry in the long run

Beg to differ with your last statement, we have been kicking for 2 years with our current margins and have grown steadily :)

Really? I know a lot of people who want a backpack bag but don't want to carry a ton of plastic. I think keeping the bag right around $100 or less is a great way to get people what they want without having to spend an arm and a leg. As long as production costs are within reason there is still a profit to be made.

Really? I know a lot of people who want a backpack bag but don't want to carry a ton of plastic. I think keeping the bag right around $100 or less is a great way to get people what they want without having to spend an arm and a leg. As long as production costs are within reason there is still a profit to be made.

I agree, I also would like a backpack that holds fewer discs. No argument there. I was referring to his "make bags at 300% markup comment." If you get into an established business and undercut the sht out of the established competitors, you're may have some short term success but ultimately will hurt the entire industry with price wars, etc. If you truly want your product to be widespread and sell well, you have to wholesale, and to wholesale you have to have good margins.

This is all hinging on the assumption that PF is marketing their bag as the same quality and similar characteristics as a Grip, Simian, etc.

-16 disc capacity in the main compartment
-Putter pouch up top
-Side storage that can hold discs also if wanting to get into the 18-20 disc range.
-Dual cup holders
-stool/umbrella pockets
-side mini pockets

That sounds lovely, where do I sign up?

I agree, I also would like a backpack that holds fewer discs. No argument there. I was referring to his "make bags at 300% markup comment." If you get into an established business and undercut the sht out of the established competitors, you're may have some short term success but ultimately will hurt the entire industry with price wars, etc. If you truly want your product to be widespread and sell well, you have to wholesale, and to wholesale you have to have good margins.

This is all hinging on the assumption that PF is marketing their bag as the same quality and similar characteristics as a Grip, Simian, etc.

I see your point. I feel like $250+ for a bag is pretty steep. I don't think a company should mark up the prices on quality bags just because their competitors are charging more. If other companies can't compete with the lower prices that's too bad. IMO, I think our industry could stand to have a certain amount of price matching. I applaud someone who is making a quality product and getting it to the consumer for $100 less than the competitors. I may be mistaken but I don't see a whole lot of wholesale going on with higher priced bags. Wholesale would mean that you'd be able to purchase through retail locations, which I don't see happening right now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

It totally depends on the business model PF is working under. I can tell you for a fact bag is of same or better quality than the other established bags... but there's a big difference... Chris already has a nice paying job. He's a Dr. of Physical Therapy. So there is no real need to have margins enough to wholesale. This isn't his primary gig... just something he enjoys doing and we get the benefits. If he can deliver a bag to your specs in 7 days, then there isn't a big need to pack the shelves of any brick and mortar store. If the other guys feel pressured to reduce their prices to match, they will. I doubt it'll come to that however as the marketing for PF is still much different that the others... and it matches with the model of selling for under 100% markup.

ScottyLove is right,
Our margins are probably lower than most (if not all) but that's because we aren't in this for just money but if I can make a little bit of money along the way then that's a plus.

As for quality we match if not have better quality than many other companies plus we are made locally in the US which means the materials we advertise are the US version and not a cheap overseas version of the same material.

And we do wholesale our bags and have been for over a year!

And by wholesale we literally make nearly nothing for wholesale. Wholesale is more of a chance for us to market than anything which is why we offer it even though it doesn't necessarily help our bottom line. I also think it helps support vendors that can make a few extra bucks which helps the entire sport in general when a vendor has a nice selection of goods for a decent price.

I like the business model Chris is doing. This new bag will not compete directly with your Grip Bag, Simian, Or Ergo. Those bags are meant to carry a bunch more discs than this new proposed bag. These other companies will have to make a smaller bag to compete with this new one. So, for right now, Chris will be 1 step ahead of the rest.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the bag. When I first received the bag I was upset about the mini pocket and what I thought the CWP pocket was going to be. That's just how I goes when you buy a pre production model of anything. After using it for a few rounds I fell in disc golf love with the bag. There was a little hiccup with UPS delivering my bag to my neighbors house but Chris was in contact with me and we sorted out all the kinks with them. One of my straps kind of mess up a little bit but Chris was spot on with his warranty. The fact that he is part of a small company that is trying to make some of the larger companies step up their game was one of the top factors in making me choose Physical Flight over Grip, Prodiscus, etc. I have already put in my order for the second run bag and can't wait to see the smaller backpack model to possibly use for casual rounds. A big thanks to Chris and his company! Keep up the good work.

Hey guys, if you live in a humid climate and are worried about the straps being uncomfortable on your bare skin, don't be. It was extremely humid today at veteran park in Arlington so I went without a shirt today for the first time with this bag. Wow, I swear the bag was more comfortable than with a shirt on!

Hey guys, if you live in a humid climate and are worried about the straps being uncomfortable on your bare skin, don't be. It was extremely humid today at veteran park in Arlington so I went without a shirt today for the first time with this bag. Wow, I swear the bag was more comfortable than with a shirt on!

C'mon man, don't give them any ideas. We don't need more shirtless DGers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts