• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Saddest Disc Golf Story

DSCJNKY

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
A few weeks ago I was traveling from Humboldt to Portland, and like any good disc golfer I was looking to play a little DG along the way. Seeing as to how Whistler's Bend is enroute, and it's in the Top 10, and on my wish-list… I made the logical decision to go there. Here is where the story gets sad…

I pulled up in the parking lot at ~11:30. There were a few locals hanging out and when I got out of the car I asked if I could join them since it was my first time there. Of course they said "sure". Then I asked, "By the way, how long will it take me to get to Portland from here". They said, "Four hours. That is, unless you don't get stuck in traffic in Salem, then it will take way longer… The traffic flows at like 6 mph all the way from Salem to Portland after 4 o'clock."
So I said, "How long will it take us to play the course." They said, "two and a half / three hours". Doing some quick math in my head… and calculating in the extra time it would take if I got stuck in traffic, I knew I couldn't stay. I had to be in Portland by 5:00 to play Frisbee (Freestyle) with some World Champs… and, they had set up a special Jam because they knew I was coming into town. So I drove away, I had to.
Before I left I told the locals, "No big deal… I'll just play the course on my way home on Sunday". They said, "We have a tournament this Sunday. It's the final Winter Series event, and it will be huge. There will over 100 golfers here". With that said, I knew I couldn't play Sunday either.

I told you it was a sad story.

Now… here's the question. Would you drive away from one of the top disc golf courses in the country if you had reservations to play somewhere else with 4 World Champs later that day? (Since you probably don't Freestyle, pretend you have a tee-time with Barry, Nate, Juliana, and Dez).

By the way, I barely made it to the Jam on time.
And, since Whistler's is only four hour away from my house… I'll make a special trip to go back soon enough.
DSCJNKY

I would drive away if I had promised my friend I'd pick them up somewhere at a certain time. I think its more important that you stuck to a previous engagement than who you did it for. But I sure would be sad about it.

You'll have to choose your loyally to either disc golf or Freestyle, which one is more important to you and fits your preferred interests?

I would pick DGing with the guys over freestyle because I'm not too crazy about it or haven't exposed enough with it.

Just my couple cents...

I've done some jamming in my day, so I would have met my reservation to play with them. Who were they btw? Could you have called them and said you were running late. It's unclear if this was a jam competition or just something fun to do, why such a strict 5:00 deadline?

You made the right choice - sucky - but right choice.

I lost my favorite disc to the Davy's Jones Locker - how much sadder can it get than that? Like losing your best friend!

I was traveling to Portland specifically to play with Jake and Matt Gauthier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMUN19aqPWw
It was just for fun and for my benefit in learning to Jam better. (Play with the pros and hopefully some of it will rub off). I also got to Jam with Lisa and Lori (Matt and Jakes girlfriends) and the entire crew in Seattle. A big thanks to all of them... if they happen to read this. They are the best.

5:00 was the time because they had rented the gym at the local community center.
Four days worth of "sick" Jamming, with some Disc Golf (Dabney, Horning's Hideout) and breweries tossed in for fun. An overall great trip.
DSCJNKY

I would rather not play for a month than miss a commitment I previously had made to another person.

(Since you probably don't Freestyle, pretend you have a tee-time with Barry, Nate, Juliana, and Dez).

If Juliana was going to be there, no question in my mind. Hell, I'd be early.

picture.php

Seriously, though, when you have a commitment the adult decision is to make good on where you said you were going to be. If these guys went out of their way for you, you have to sacrifice the DG. Sad, you're right, but true. Good call.

Ok, so at first I read this and I'll admit, I wasn't too sure of what freestyle was. After watching that Youtube video you'd be crazy not to go hang out with those guys. I assume you're good at freestyle but I think that it would awesome to actually see them do that in person. The course will always be there. Just think, the weather is only gonna get nicer with spring and summer.

Very cool stuff to watch and I'm sure more fun be doing. I'm certainly impressed by that video. Looks like really advanced versions of stuff I try to do with my putters when I'm bored, except I drop a lot.

Yeah, I think I need to drive up from LA and play Whistler's. But on top of that, Never miss a commitment to play with Pros. Do everything in your power to play with the Pros. I love it when I even get a chance to watch the Pros.

Latest posts